Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody got a Peavey Patriot?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jericho60, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area
    I found one for $99. I don't really need something like that, but I may just cough up and get it anyhow.

What do they sound like? I don't even remember. Is it that loud honky twang from Super Ferrite p'ups?

2. hayseedtele

hayseedtele Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2006
    illinois
    If you can tell by the picture im playing one in my profile pic.
    I used it as a back up guitar and it wasn't bad I really liked the neck on the one i used and the pickups and overall tone of the guitar wasn't bad. it also had nice tuners. never used the tremelo, but it stayed in tune really well. looks like some places are selling them online for around 350. for a MIA guitar 99 bucks isn't bad and if you don't like it I'm sure you could get rid of it and maybe get some $ on the return.

3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I bought a new one about 20 years ago - I think it cost $200 or $250 at the time. A friend of mine still has it, and if you can get it for $99, it's a good deal. I liked it a lot: great neck, very comfy to play, small body, nice pickups. Before I bought it, I tried every guitar of every brand I could find that cost $400 or less, and I ended up with the Peavey. Keep in mind the fact that inexpensive guitars today are generally of much higher quality than they were in the early '80s. The Peavey blew away most of the cheap imports of the time.

4. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    There are a couple of different models of Patriot. The earlier ones have the Super Ferrite pickups of which you speak. I've never had one of those, but in defense of the Super Ferrite pickups, a little adjustment goes a long way. Those pickups are very wide range. I've had a few guitars with 'em and, if adjusted right can give you a wide variety of tones.

The later model has one humbucker. That's the model I have. I'm not overly fond of it, but that's more down to the neck than anything else.

One thing for sure, if you buy it and don't like it, you'll probably get your money back on the resell.

5. jericho60

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area
    Yeah, this one is a Super Ferrite job.

6. Louthunder

Louthunder Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2007
    West Michigan
    Had one in the eighties, a great little guitar.

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    I got the single humbucker model for FREE at my local recycling center.
    The only thing screwed up with it was the trem block.
    I stuck a piece of wood into the cavity and it plays like a million bucks!!!
    Someone gave up on it.
    Lucky me!!!

8. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well this thread isn't too old I guess.
    I just picked up a twin pup Patriot today, came with a Gator brand Tweed hard case all for $119. Needs cleaning and some work but plays well as is.
    Does anyone know how to decipher the year of manufacture from the serial?

Attached Files:

9. hugo

hugo Former Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Canada
    pchilson, that is sweet. Pretty nice looking guitar for that kind of money. Hell, the case alone is worth 1/3 of what you paid. Wow! How do you guys get the good deals? Where'd you get 'er from?

10. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2007
    Arkansas
    Thanks Hugo. Got it from the local music shop. Some guy had it on consignment. It has been in there for some time and I have looked at it and played it a couple times. I walked in today and the price had been slashed. I didn't even know the case came with it until today. I left and thought about it some, figured I couldn't loose on it so I went back and bought it. It needs a bit of TLC.

11. charliet8307

charliet8307 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 4, 2008
    scotland
    Peavey

I have a peavey patriot which i got from my dad when i was young. He sent it over from america in the 80's, and i have to say it still looks amazing and plays great to this day!
    I have hunted in the music shops around scotland where i live and have never came across another guitar like this one.
    I'v got 3 other guitars but this ones my fave!!!

BY the way PCHilson smart pictures!!

12. e-merlin

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Wow, that's a beaut. How did I miss this pic back in March?

Anyhow, there's no magic to decoding the serial number. Peavey uses batches of serial numbers for batches of products. No date codes in 'em.

You can go over to the Peavey Guitar discussion board on their website and post the serial number. They will be able to give you the year of manufacture. You do have to register for the board, though.

13. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Looks like this thread has been resurrected a few times ... hope you don't mind one more.

I'm a guy in his 40s finally wanting to learn to play what I should have stuck with as a kid. Other than the vague memory of a few chords ... I'm a beginner. As such, I don't have much to drive my decision on gear other than what appeals to my eye and what value I can derive from other's reviews and comments. I want to spend $200ish on the guitar but I can tell that there is a lot of junk down in that price range. I've come across a couple of Peavey Patriots here locally in pawn shops. They are both asking $250, one with case and one without. Both have 2 pickups. After doing some research I'm thinking this may be a pretty good find to get started on and hold on to.

I'd been looking at lower end Agile PRS and LP copies which are Korean and seem to have good reviews. I'd initially thought "American made" was out of my budget. I now find myself leaning toward these Peaveys or maybe one of the T series.

Any thoughts or advice? I was thinking $250 was a bit on the high side. Also, does anyone know if all the Patriots were built in the US? One of the guitars doesn't have any sign of "Made in USA" or "Handcrafted in USA" like every other picture that I've seen. I can try to find out on the Peavey forum if nobody knows.

Thanks
    Lee

14. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm certainly no authority. I would bet they are all Made in USA. The one I bought was the one and only I've ever seen live. My guess is $250 is quite a high price to pay for one. Good guitar but I think you can get it for less. How long have they been hanging in the pawn shop? If its in real nice shape I'd go $200. Thats me. Good luck.

15. furrfurrfurr

furrfurrfurr Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2006
    South of Heaven
    I'd offer $125 and hope to settle around $150

16. e-merlin

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Patriots are definitely US made. They are high quality guitars, no doubt. $250 is way too much, though, for today's market. That's about what they cost new. Someone's got 'em way overpriced. If it's in mint condition with a Peavey hardshell case $150 is about the right price. You can find 'em (used of course) all day long for $99 without case in Guitar Center or Music-Go-Round.

17. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Thanks. Sounds like this should be a good option for me for the money I want to spend. I'll see if I can work a deal or keep looking. I'm pretty psyched.

Crazy thing is that back in 1980 I had a real Fender Tele. Should have stuck it in a closet rather than selling it for party money. Stupidity of youth.

Thanks again.

18. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    I owned (and still own) couple of Peavey T-15's which you can classify as the forerunner of the Patriot, they had the same kind of pickups and were short scale.

Fun little axes.

[​IMG]

19. jericho60

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area
    I got a T-15 a couple of years ago. Can't get it to hold tuning very well. Weird little neck, it's like playing a yardstick.

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    a 012 set of strings cures that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.