Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anybody gettin' sketchy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jul 3, 2013.

1. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I know the 4th of July is coming. It is a wonderful time of year to celebrate the American heritage. The BBQ's will be grillin', the beers and lemonade flowin'. Salads will be dressing the tables with chips and dips.

But damn! The fireworks are already flying all over the place down here in Huntington Beach. There are multiple explosive fireworks going off that are not of the legal persuasion. We are in serious fire country. Most of the states are in a serious drought! I just don't see why we prod the fate of burning down the community.

In the face of recent fire events, what would you do to make your area safer at this time of year? It makes me nervous. I don't want to mourn the loss of more homes and families due to celebration.

Give us some rules, for the USA.
  2. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2012
    San Antonio tx
    Going to run around with a China cymbal, cowbell, and drumsticks
  3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

With Canada day and Independence day so close together...

do people on the border regions ever fire fireworks/rockets/roman candles at eachother across the border?.... ;)

in celebratory fashion of course...;)
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Ya see? That's exactly what I'm talking about! Do we fire back or what?
  6. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2012
    South Carolina
    It's rained here basically everyday for a month. I'm pretty sure we're not in a drought ;)

But I'll be studying for an Accounting final that I have to take on July 5th. So no exploding nonsense for me :(
  7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Are you saying we need to watch for artillery fire from canada!? I always knew we were going to get invaded by them eventually. :D
  8. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

We leave the area and head to higher ground. Whole place becomes a war zone....literally.
  9. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    You'd have a hard time setting a fire around here with a flame thrower, right now...
  10. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I spent today driving across mountains in Arizona and New Mexico, and about to head into Colorado, and have been driving through thunder storms all day. I've seen four forest fires in the past 8 hours, I'm even scarred to use my zippo just to light a cigarette.
  11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Make sure your gutters are free of leaves. Bottle rockets can come down onto your roof and roll down into the gutters. Sometimes they are still smoldering. It's supposed to rain here starting as couple of hours before dark on the 4th. That will help I suppose.
  12. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

May 24, 2011
    Florida or Georgia
    It has been raining for a week here. It should clear up for tomorrow nights display of contraband imported to GA from the south.

FL has/had some strange fireworks laws. They must have changed, because I no longer have to sign a waiver stating I am either building a railroad or scaring birds away from my crops.
  13. trev333

fireworks are totally banned here... in most places....:cry:
    pros put on shows.... you can't buy them over the counter....

a friend of mine just went to court charged with having an illegal explosive...:mad:

the cops raided his place for dope.. none there... they found an old cracker than had been wet and wrapped up in tape.. years old, no wick.... made a fuss over it... hand cuffed him and dragged him to the station....

and stole a $50 out of his wallet when they checked it.... :lol:

the coppers.. having nothing else to harass him about... brought up charges over this pathetic bit of crap that probably would never go off?.... just because they could.... :rolleyes:

the judge threw it out.... but it still cost my mate a lot of money with legal stuff....

light a few bungers for us guys will you... big ones!!.:twisted:..;)

14. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    The way they scare my dog, I would hurt whoever are using them if I knew who they were.

We have them 2 weekends in a row here in Quebec , Quebec day and Canada day. Actually, Canada day, or night, was pretty much a non event in my neighborhood .

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI
  15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    Our biggest fireworks displays come at the entry into the new year; fire dangers are usually much lower that time of year. Considering that we just lost 19 hotshots in a fire 30 miles to the south, I don't expect much in the way of fireworks this year.
  16. trev333

Amen to that AL...

my friend from school dropped in yesterday.. his wife is from the States... mid west?, I wasn't sure where .. the US news was on TV about the fires with the sound low.... her ears pricked up.. Prescott!! my home town, she said!.... the announcement was being made about the 19.... I quickly turned the sound up fer her...

and felt a knot in my stomach.... Sarah's face was ashen....:(
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011

I have been hearing more of this. Not sure where it started...
    One vernacular has it as 'dangerous' or 'seedy'??

Is this a Chicago word?
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Dude - that's so sketchy !

Usually used like "Yeah, I met him but he doesn't he strike you as a little sketchy ?"

They just relaxed the laws in this state again so now all the big (BIG) boom-booms are even more accessible.

First the helmet law and now this.

Next thing you know , there will be a state mandate you have to smoke and drink Mountain Dew...
  19. trev333

We had Guy Fawkes day here, cracker night, when I was a kid.... in November, the dry month just before summer... derrrrr.... not a good time...
    we thoroughly enjoyed it.... and spent every last penny getting a box of assorted fireworks..... it was part of our growing up... handling "explosives"....

I can't imagine the frail cotton wool kids of today being given an assorted box of fireworks and even knowing what all the different ones did... and which end to light them....

and they'd have to wear full safety gear, fire suit and emergency backup on pumps... to let one firecracker off.... at a safe distance behind a plexiglass screen, of course....
  20. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I live right outside of Chicago now, but when I lived in the city the 4th was like a three straight days of fireworks going off in the neighborhood. I'll be away from my house tonight, so I'm just going to pray that I don't come home tomorrow to a pile of smoldering ash.
  21. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
    Philly's biggest problem as always been the yahoos who fire their weapons straight up in the air on New Year's Eve and the 4th. I suppose as long as the round's not coming back down where they are, it's not their problem...
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.