Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anybody ever fill in a "comfort cut" body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by picknngrinn, May 3, 2012.

1. picknngrinn

picknngrinn TDPRI Member

May 3, 2012
    Duncan BC Canada
    I just got a Modern Player Telecaster Plus. The quality of these Chinese guitars is absolutely amazing! Problem: I hate the comfort cut of the body. With a previously broken left wrist I need my fretboard rotated forward as far as possible. The cutout of the part that rests on my chest allows the guitar to rotate back. I need the good old slab shape.
    Anybody ever see a "comfort cut" filled in? ...Any suggestions?
    Thanks a million!
  2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    Is it too late to return it and get something different?

3. ricks1

ricks1 TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2012
    richmond, tx.
    warmoth body, have them build one for you.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RocketshipChair

RocketshipChair Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2008
    Rochester, New York
    I imagine if you're really handy with wood and finish work, then you could strip off the finish in that area, glue in a new piece of wood and refinish the area. It'd be a very difficult job though.
  6. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    not worth the effort imo
  7. southwoodgtars

southwoodgtars Tele-Holic

Jul 27, 2011
    north carolina

On the other hand you may be one of those people who really enjoy a project no matter if it's really worth it. I know a guy right now that has been putting in a lot of hours into a bass that is maybe worth $50 on a good day. The bass is not his and he is doing it for free just because he really enjoys it. If that is the case I sat go for it otherwise you may want to get a new body.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That's a lot of material to try to replace. How about just sticking some kind of cushion on there, like the high-density foam they use for computer keyboard wrist pads, or cork or neoprene or something like that? You could put it on with doublestick tape, and then you can just peel it off if you ever want to re-sell.
  9. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    i like that idea
  10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Bondo, then trasho.
  11. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

Jun 28, 2010
    I thought about it for my 72 Deluxe RI, but figured it wasn't worth the effort.
  12. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Sell that body. buy a new one. Fixed.
  13. customxke

customxke Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2009
  14. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Alternately, you could gain a lot of weight and/or wear the guitar lower.

Just kidding. As others have said, filling in the cut is not going to be easy or quick, and certainly not worth the time it will require. I'd suggest putting the body up for trade here in the TDPRI classifieds. Someone with a traditional style body will trade you for it, and you'll be set to go.
  15. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Dec 10, 2007
    Greetings from Sunny New Jersey
    Wear a bra stuffed with foam? (sorry, couldn't resist...)

Welcome, new member!
  16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'd keep playing it as it is.. had a similar injury when I was 8, had already been playing for 2 years when that happened. Took a while to be able to play a bar chord at the top of the neck 'F' was the hardest but it happened. Not minimizing your injury just saying don't use a 'crutch' unless there is no other way. If playing it as is isn't an option I'd trade it in.
  17. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2008
    Put on some belly fat.

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

Aug 7, 2003
    Long Island, N.Y.
    Here's a product to invent...a foam Tele Body Insert.
    Would have to be of a matrial that will not melt into lacquer and act as a filler/cushion. Hmmmmmmm....
  19. picknngrinn

picknngrinn TDPRI Member

May 3, 2012
    Duncan BC Canada
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. This is wonderful! I'm glad we were able to have some fun with this. Actually the body is so gorgeous that I don't want to change it. There's an old rule in carpentry:"if you can't hide it..accent it" I think trying to make an amendment look like it's part of the original plan would be folly. I'll proudly add on some type of prominent cushion assembly. Thanks Jupiter for the same idea as I came upon at 3:30 am. ....right down to the double sided tape! The computer wrist rest pad is all yours and a great tip...thank you. I'll keep my eyes open for the perfect rib pad.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.