Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    I hear the view from Mount Olympus is lovely. Props to you sir. I know most people dont. I had to spend a little time and a few attempts to acquire the taste, still dont like lagavulin. Variety is the spice of life and I'm glad Scotland has a lot of it.

BigDaddyLH and Stubee like this.
  2. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Fun thread. I kinda like Speysides that aren't total sherry bombs or that have a little smoke to them. Glendronach Revival 15yo and also the 12yo are really nice examples of the former, and Benromach 10yo of the latter.

Laphroaig is definitely an acquired taste. First time I had the 10yo it was like drinking a liquid bonfire and I mean that in a good way--transported me back in time to high school and college days vacationing on Cape Cod, salt air, lightning bonfires at night or just hanging out on the beach--very evocative. A good way to edge into it is via the Quarter Cask version...when the smoke clears a very delicious, delicate, honeylike sweetness appears.

When it comes to JW I like the Green Label--the only regular version that does not blend in grain whisky. Its rougher around the edges than let's say the Benromach but that's OK with me. Love to pair it with smoked gouda cheese, a happy accident.

bftfender likes this.
  3. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Germany
    This!

I've enjoyed Laphroaig's Four Oak very much. My all time favorite is Lagavulin 16. Nice and heavy on the smoke.

4. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    Aye, I couldn't pour that stuff on an open wound to save my life; every Laphroaigh I have ever had, no matter how aged, reminds me of a box of Band Aids, and I can't get past that ...

Not that I won't continue to try, of course ...

5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2004
    Middle America
    Thanks for the "neaps" spelling! That's how I had it and changed it 'cuz I thought I was an idiot ... which I am ...

I tell ya, if Ms. Nutz was any more in love with Nessie, we'd be living at the bottom of the Loch ...

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Interestingly, what the Scots call neaps, the Irish call pig food. White turnips are grown as animal fodder. What we Swede, they call turnips.

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's 'neeps'. Not 'neaps' or 'nips'.

And I don't hate the English, or the Americans. Although sometimes...

P-Nutz likes this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I bartended for years, so learned general things about beer/wine/spirits. I'm not a connoisseur of scotch in that I don't keep a whole bunch of different kinds on hand or read magazines about scotch or anything like that, but I like to drink it just fine. Somebody brought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black to a party we hosted...that was great! A glass of that with a fine Lewinsky El Robusto from Old Virginia Tobacco is a perfect match!

bftfender likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

This is confusing! I suppose you agree on Norwegians.

10. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    This is the whole point I think. It's not what you think you should like, or what someone else thinks you would like, it's what you enjoy.

My late father in law wouldn't drink single malt. He was perfectly happy with a bottle of Bells. I'd get him a bottle of Famous Grouse every Christmas, he loved that. :)

Junkyard Dog and bftfender like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

We can agree on the variety. That's one reason collection single malts is so much fun.

bftfender and Colors like this.
  12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    No - Talisker has a salt-air bite and the other is a peat monster.

For a smoother finish, I'd probably keep to the Speysides. The Macallan Oak Finish is a great starting point for smooth.

13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
  14. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    For me, Macallan Oak is sacrilege. I don’t care for any Mac that isn’t aged at least 12 years in sherry casks.

The trend of late is for big name brands to come out with cheaper stuff and with no age statement. Then they put on a fancy name to trick fools. Glenlivet Founders Reserve is one. Lots of stuff in Duty Free shops at airports are of this ilk. More and more of this dreck comes out every day. Be careful when buying, though it can be hard to keep up with all the crap coming out these days masquerading as quality malts.

15. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I’m off to Islay next week for a whisky trip - taking in Laphroig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg distilleries (as well as Oban as a diversion on the way) and staying at one of Scotland’s best whisky bars, where I’ll no doubt try many more.

Safe to say I like my whisky!

Paul-T, bftfender and nvilletele like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

+1. A couple members have trotted out the definition of "scotch" which requires it to be aged at least 3 years. Bah! The youngest malts I like are 10 years old. I'm not saying older is necessarily better, but I've found the sweet spot for myself (in cost versus taste) is around 15 years. If a bottle doesn't have an age on it I wouldn't buy it unless I know a glowing review from someone I trust.

nvilletele likes this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

Jealous, although I don't know if I'd choose to visit in December. Is there anything else to do on the island that doesn't include sheep?

18. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    Jealous. But in any trip to Isaly, I’d be sure to visit Bowmore. It’s my favorite Islay malt. Probably because it has a fair amount of highland style smoothness in with the Islay peatiness (peatyness?).

19. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's just best practice to optimise the value of a brand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.