Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    As far as blends go, Famous Grouse. It's cheap and it's good. I'm often surprised for being famous how unknown that chicken is on the west side of the pond. Just dont know why you would ever drink JW if Famous Grouse is available.

I like Speysides for singles. An attainable favorite is Glenlivit 15 French Oak Cask. Very smooth, soft feel and sufficiently fruity and sweet with just enough oak. Expensive enough to stop me from being flippant with consumption.

bftfender likes this.
  2. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    How'd you like that Macallan?

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    just tried a nose and wow how dif than the Johnnie..looking forward to the 9 pm tasting.. was slightly more subtle but an after fragrance of sweetness, not harsh..if it sips that way.that will be awesome !!

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There aren't even "O"s in smoooth for a good single malt. Folks that think whisky is harsh aren't drinking that stuff.

Stubee and Colors like this.
  5. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    No I have never liked the taste of Scotch, I much prefer bourbon.

6. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    If that matters, here in Brazil, "Romeo and Julieta" is how we name a combination of guava paste (sweet) and cheese. Delicious, actually...

[​IMG]

7. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Potter-to_my_golden_tongue.jpg

8. Utah Joe

Utah Joe TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Salt Lake City, UT
    nvilletele, Stubee, mojosman and 2 others like this.
  9. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    I though that too when I went into thes tore but then realized this is a symantec thing only.

10. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    You can't have a Ron Swanson avatar and not like scotch! ;) (I prefer Old Hickory bourbon myself)

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Ha, right?

I'm open to the idea of scotch, but the only scotch I've ever tasted was Cutty Sark and it tasted antiseptic and was sorta green(?) hued. I love Bulleitt Bourbon. And I may have to take some of the recommendations here to give Scotch a try again. Single malt this time, or at least not blended.

12. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2014
    Walland, Tn
    Try Old Hickory bourbon. Black or white labels. I actually have tried what Ron drinks, Laugavulin 16. Honestly for 100 bucks a bottle I was not a fan

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I think that's where he and I part ways. If I've got to spend $100 on something, I expect to be able to do more than just drink it. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

rdwhitti and Fireball519 like this.
  14. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    You can collect the bottles and admire them...

Fireball519 and bftfender like this.
  15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I have finished off a few bottles of single malt, all gifts from a good friend with more money than I have. I enjoy whiskeys, all varieties, and cognacs and brandy.

bftfender likes this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Just poured the Macallan..it has a cork in the cap,,the nose is smooth and the sip has a lil sting but chases quick...def easier drinker than the Johnnie Black but i like the Johnnie also, it reminded more of American .. def headed towards a higher price one next buy and started a woodworking project to hold the bottles...this one reminded me of the whiskey my uncles and grandfather drank

Stubee and Colors like this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    During my second divorce, I enjoyed quite a bit of Scotch. Good, bad, I didn't know.

I was staying at my lake place, and the neighbor guy just down the road from me always had a bottle. It sure helped me get to sleep many a night. Wishing could remember the brand, I liked it.

Stubee and bftfender like this.
  18. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Cutty is straight gasoline. If you are a bourbon drinker look for stuff that was aged in sherry or port casks as it tends to be sweeter. Johnny Black on the rocks smooths right out but doesn't leave much to ruminate over by way of taste. Glen Morray 12 is smooth and 40 bucks. Good introduction to single malt scotch drinking on the cheap. Unless you want to work at it I'd stay away from Isle stuff until you train your palate. Ron Swanson may drive right in but us mere mortals have to acquire that taste.

Stubee, JuneauMike and bftfender like this.
  19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    Mr Stubee said:-JW Black is not bad at all and actually a great sipping whisky. I got a bottle as a gift a few years ago and bought a couple more. Smooth.

Yes I agree and have just finished a bottle that was a Birthday present (last February) I must remember to get another. My friend who I drink and jam with on a Monday afternoon can't stand it and we often have a few words about it. My answer to it it is:- His loss, my gain--hic.. S

Stubee likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I took right to Islay malts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.