Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody enjoy a good Scotch ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bftfender, Dec 4, 2018.

1. beejay493

beejay493 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2009
    tyne and wear uk
    Not long back from a week on Islay with 18 bottles of the stuff......Roll on Christmas...

Stubee likes this.
  2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Whisky is one of only a couple of spirits that I drink. I'm no connoisseur but I've tried lots, down the years, and have a few favourites.

When I lived in Scotland (1994-1999) I found myself, by chance, living within 10 miles of a distillery that produced what became my favourite; Glenturret.

Most of their production went into Famous Grouse blends, so Famous Grouse bough the Glenturret distillery and brand and turned the place into a Famous Grouse visitor centre. It's a great place but I do miss the simple days when it was just Glenturret.

Other than that, I'm partial to Islay and other smoky malts.

I was at a friend's place last Saturday and he let me try some Nikka (Japanese) whisky. It was very nice but I still prefer the Scottish whiskies.

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    I'm not, but my wife is, so for Christmas I bought her a bottle of The Balvenie TUN 1509.
    Jeez, is that stuff expensive. I could have bought a new Squier Tele for what it cost...

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I have only had one good Scotch in my life. It was hot weather, Australian style , the next day. I had to leave work by lunchtime from sweating profusely and elevated body temperature. Not a drink for us Downunder. Cold, freezing cold beer is safest and we love it.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    They all taste the same drowned in Coke. The only way I can stomach the filthy stuff.

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Round those neaps off with square sa usage and a deep fried Mars bar, and you could get mistaken for a native. You'd also need a pathological hatred of "the English". Now here's the thing; they can hate us forever but we don't care!

I think that probably just makes it worse.

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    I like the cask strength Laphroaigh. Just a drop of water helps to open it up. If you can get past the alcohol, it's an intense mix of peet and iodine. I love how Laphroaigh was one of only a handful of alcoholic beverages that was still legal during Prohibition. It was marketed for its medicinal qualities.

Stubee and bftfender like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That would be a waste of a good single malt.

Jerry J likes this.
  9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've been known to enjoy a good scotch...
    ...and other fine whiskey(whisky) type drinks.

thesinglemaltcollection_zpsc3669e05.jpg

Stubee, bftfender and trapdoor2 like this.
  10. Fat Tele

Fat Tele TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2008
    NJ
    You are right on the money with these two picks!

FerruleCat likes this.
  11. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Beginner tip - don't call it "neat" if you're adding water. Neat, by definition, is without ice or water. :)

Now that we got that out of the way, a good intro scotch, in my opinion, is Macallan 12. It is mellow, smooth, and a bit sweet (aged in sherry casks). It's also not very expensive...prob $60/bottle.

mojosman likes this.
  12. lp special

lp special TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Montana
    If you like those, try Green Spot and Tyrconnell. They are superb!

DonM likes this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    yup, going neat next time, thanks..learning

14. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Well the collection has doubled and found out have a bass player and drummer friend who appreciate Scotch, going to build a bar in band room in next day or 2 and we are doing a freestyle jam Saturday night..going to grill some filet mignon and play some tunes..i need this ..the 2 years of being strangled Mc12.jpg not being able to play out and release a CD that is done...Macallan 12

DonM and bender66 like this.
  15. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Brighton
    bftfender likes this.
  16. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    CT
    There's about a third remaining of the bottle of Lagavulin 16 that was given to me last Christmas. Now I know what to ask for...Thanks! :D

bftfender likes this.
  17. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Jul 4, 2008
    California
    I think I know what you mean, but note there cannot be Scotch from any part of the world other than Scotland. And by Scottish law scotch must be aged at least three years.

If made in Spain, it can be whisky (or whiskey), and it can be made just like scotch and taste like scotch, but it cannot be called scotch.

Slowpoke likes this.
  18. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    Believing that single malts are somehow superior to blended is:

The whisky equivalent of PIO caps.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Rarely, but I sure enjoy a good one from time to time. I usually try a different one each time if at a bar or take whatever my host offers.

Back when I lived in Tucson in the '80's my roommate, his girlfriend and I had a ritual where we'd drink Johnnie Walker Black and watch Hill Street Blues on TV.

20. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Ah, an uisge beatha thread. I do love them...

There are very few independent distilleries. Most are owned by multinational conglomerates, just as any other commodity is.

Anyway, Glenfarclas. 15 and up. :)

nvilletele and FerruleCat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.