Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody bothered by squier nuts being narrow?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MuddyWolf, May 18, 2017.

1. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Anybody miss that last half mm?

2. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden

3. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some Squiers are bigger than others....

boris bubbanov likes this.

5. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You're telling me my nuts are too narrow? Never had any complaints.

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The Affinity has a narrow nut, but in my case, the string spacing was exactly the same as on my other guitars. Some complain about the narrower neck, because the strings are more likely to roll off the edge of the fretboard. On the other hand, if the strings were closer together this would not happen, but I suspect this would be more difficult to play (even a tiny bit of room between strings is important).

xafinity likes this.

7. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    It seems the difference between a standard fender tele and the affinity i have is about 0.7mm or about the size of a .026 D string. Is fender conserving wood? Its not even an even metric measurement so tooling isnt the issue. It seems its just an incentive to buy fender instead of squier. My strings in no way roll off the fingerboard when i play. If you divide the 0.7mm between all the strings the bunch factor probably is less that what you lose going up a gauge in string choice. Fender should just standardize across all models for everybodies sake.

xafinity likes this.

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I wasn't paying attention and thought the title said "squirrel nuts"

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The real difference to look for, rather than 1/2 mm width, is the shape of the carve and where it starts. Some begin carving from the front corner of the fretboard while others don't carve until behind the fretboard glue line.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just pick the Squier models I buy that happen to have a fairly wide nut. And I don't buy the models and production runs where the nut is kinda narrow.

If I find myself having to try to play a narrow necked one, I move up the fretboard and inhabit the areas above the Cowboy chord area. I work around the fact that the first few frets are limited in terms of what I can do with them.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the folks that make these instruments also have to cater to buyers and players outside the USA and Canada and even the Euro market and if these players have down scaled hands and fingers and prefer a more diminutive neck, then that's how you engineer the production at that plant. If a Minority of the intended consumers buying guitars from Plant X in Indonesia or Korea are USA guys with big, hammy hands then those guys need to roll with the punches. Don't forget, Guitar Companies still believe it is OK to make almost all their guitars so small that any adult woman can play them, and that adult American men are just going to have to take their lumps. I've realized that the players and buyers in the USA are too few in number and already have all the guitars they really need, and so the guys making decisions in huge guitar plants in Asia should be free to tell me to take a hike - and to concentrate on the folks that will be their bread and butter customers in the future.

jvin248 likes this.

11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    it might be a surprise, but even here in Europe there are people with small hands AND people with big hands. :) My hands are rather small, but my fingers are thick in comparison...

On the other hand (no pun intended), I tried a few budget non-Squier/Fender telecasters and all of those had a more narrow string spacing than any Squier I ever tried...

But i agree 100%... If the glove (or model) doesn't fit, don't buy it...

Durberville likes this.

12. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    The difference on my squire tele to an american standard is a tiny bit over a half a milimeter. That is something like the thickness of a D string. Split that in half on either side of the nut. If that much plus or minus matters to woman or small handed non american i would really be surprised. So if it doesnt matter to them then why antagonize a neurotic american who has too many guitars and clearly is likely go buy at least one more?

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    The nut on my 2004 Standard was narrow, but it was the too-narrow string spacing that really bugged me. I replaced it with a Tusq XL with wider spacing, and all is well.

14. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    Yes. I don't like those tiny little widths made for tiny little people. But here's what's worse: When I encounter a Squier with the "modern" 11/16" neck but Squier keeps the string span the same as the little 5/8" nuts. That's really contempt for the customer.

hdvades likes this.

15. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    My great Ibanez Prestige Talman (newish Strat copy), the nut is a hair less than 1 5/8"

A hair. < 1/64th.
    I hv read online several not interested in it bc of its nut width. Several. And it's not a skinny neck!!

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Yes!

I find them very hard to play. I once looked up the size difference thinking it must quite significant and was shocked to find it so minimal.

But I do find them very hard to play.

hdvades likes this.

17. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    Width of the neck at the nut on my Squier Standard is 1.650 inches. Originally the strings were too close together for my chubby digits. I made a new bone nut with wider string spacing and all is well.

justjazz likes this.

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Same here. I can get a string spacing of 36-37mm across the nut of a Squier Affinity.

I change the nut on all my guitars as I like a bit more space for my fingers. I can get 38-39 mm string width out of things like Gibson and PRS SE necks too.

19. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    A hair difference is splitting hairs, indeed.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    The nut, no, but the bridge being narrower is a little bit of a problem . My "natural" picking movements seem more in harmony w wider Strat spacing, tho I started playing and played for many years on much narrower necks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.