Any vintage radio aficionados?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bender66, Jun 13, 2019.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Got these from a neighbor that said he's had for "50 years". All functioning. Just riding past & look in his driveway... he & the wife are sitting in chairs with a driveway full.
    20190612_224402.jpg 20190612_124736.jpg 20190612_224705.jpg 20190612_224857.jpg 20190612_224514.jpg 20190609_140154.jpg 20190608_104559.jpg 20190608_104547.jpg

I've always noticed his radio antennae & meant to talk to him about his interest. Pure luck that I happened by that day. They're the nicest couple.

Mods please move this to the appropriate forum if I've done so incorrectly.

2. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

We are the Mods.
    Mods.GIF

Piggy Stu and bender66 like this.
  3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Tele-Meister

Nice. I don't collect them, but I repair old tube radios as a hobby. Love the art deco look of these. Thanks for sharing.

4. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

some of them make nice guitar amps

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've picked up a couple of these just for fun and am amazed just how many of these things were made over the years and how many are still around. As a genre they're not at all rare IMO but I also love the art deco look of many of them.

bender66 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

radio.JPG

Transistor radios.

bender66, stevemc and RoscoeElegante like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Cool radio designs.

If those are working, add an mp3 player so the kids can interact with the old radios.
    Check out the other D-labs videos. He goes to a radio swap meet every year and shows some old radios. He also builds and repairs guitar amps.

Flakey, bender66 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nice!

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

bender66 likes this.
  10. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

Its a shame that most old tube radios need tubes that are no longer made...I have a couple that work...but its nice to play the guitar thru the old speaker if it still works...

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I have a chair side radio that uses a tube car radio that was to be installed in the 1942 Studebakers but the US entered WW II so no car production and any new radio production was to directed to the war effort.

https://people.ohio.edu/postr/bapix/MotChrSd.htm

stevemc, RoscoeElegante and bender66 like this.
  12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

can you pick up Tierra Del Fuego on that thing?

bender66 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those are pretty cool, but are you saying you brought them all home???

I've bought and sold a few antique radios, the black tolex covered portable looks like a Transatlantic and is worth some money to collectors, assuming collector taste hasn't changed drastically.

The big consoles might have a smaller number of collectors that actually want them, as I recall the buyers of those were elderly in the '90s!

I had a buyer then in NYC that was some kind of tech in one of the big animation studios, but he liked smaller and rarer radios and medical tube stuff.

I have one small tube console record player and one tube radio that finally stopped working a couple of years ago.
    Radio tubes still sell on ebay and are pretty cheap due to less demand than guitar and stereo tubes.

14. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I own a smaller Marconi from early 40’s. It sits on the piano. I’ve repaired a few others. They are cool for nostalgic purposes. Not much else. A lot of areas don’t even have 1 AM radio station left unfortunately. It makes it hard to enjoy them, even if intermittently over a whiskey on ice, listening to a ball game.

15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I have been for years...

I had a 1936 Grammont 616 exactly like this one, with an orange neon light tuning indicator, Octal tubes :

[​IMG]

And a 1935 Pathé 435 exactly like this one, except the grillcloth that was dark grey, US tubes :

[​IMG]

I haven't them anymore for a long time... The only one I keep is a Blaupünkt Milano from 1957, which is AM/FM with a great sound, Noval tubes :

[​IMG]

I recently repaired and restored this one for a friend, a Blaupünkt Riviera from 1959 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I have been for years...

I had a 1936 Grammont 616 exactly like this one, with an orange neon light tuning indicator, Octal tubes :

[​IMG]

And a 1935 Pathé 435 exactly like this one, except the grillcloth that was dark grey, US tubes :

[​IMG]

I haven't them anymore for a long time... The only one I keep is a Blaupünkt Milano from 1957, which is AM/FM with a great sound, Noval tubes :

[​IMG]

I recently repaired and restored this one for a friend, a Blaupünkt Riviera from 1959 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, they all work perfectly. I was hoping that might be an option somewhere within.

Is that where they eat BBQ iguana?

I brought the Howard upright & the 3 smaller that are stacked up. Yes, the Trans Atlantic is a Zenith with the booklet still inside. It is in great shape.

Wow. Those are beautiful.

As someone said, the art deco look to some of them really catches your eye. They just don't make them look like.... well, they just dont make them.

Thanks all. It is greatly appreciated.

I've bought radio shells/housing to put small SS amps in just for the looks.

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I have a couple. I have a GE M56 from 1934 and I have a zenith Bakelite tabletop am/fm I got at a yard sale from 1955. Love old radios.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.