Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Venus XII Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Jan 3, 2018.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I know these aren't "cool" on guitar forums, but I pulled my Venus XII out the other day and figured I would make a poast about it.

I have a couple Rickenbacker 12 strings and while they're awesome at what they do the Venus XII is a pretty different sound and is a surprisingly nice quality guitar despite being made in Asia and being a Squire.

These came out in about 1996/97 (IIRC) and were a Courtney Love endorsed guitar. At the time (slightly before guitar forums) pawn shop guitars were becoming a little trendy and most of today's bloozemen had sold their BC Rich and Kramer guitars for Fender Mustang, Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars - which had been reissued by FMIC (these foreign made reissues were actually BETTER than the old ones but we wouldn't figure that out until guitar forums came along and 20 years later the reissues were deemed vintage!) and bought flannel shirts. A year or two later these d00des would lose their hair, buy fedoras, and discover teh blooze after their new found dislike of hair metal made them relate more to Lightning Boy than Vai. Teh dooz had been paid, the forums were open and they had become Bloozemen!

Anywho, the Venus XII was a big flop. They didn't make many of them because people didn't like them. I was lucky enough to meet someone who worked for Fender at the time and because I was in an original banned that was doing well in a big college town (back then original bands played 2-3 times a week to actual crowds!) I got this one for a song!

The backstory on these is that the bridges and string guides were from the old Electric XII and the pickups were made in the Duncan Custom Shop because they didn't make enough of these to mass produce them. The never happened second run would have had those. The tuners are really nice and the wood in the neck is nothing like the junk you see on Mexican/Chinese/North Korean, etc... Fenders of today.

Anywho, maybe someday these will become cool. Hopefully there is someone out there who also owns one or will now pick one up if they see it for cheap somewhere!

Sadly, a bunch of these were taken apart to build Electric XII replicas over the years (you basically get the bridge, string guide and pickups (pups!). I had thought about doing that a few times but it's such a nice guitar to play I could never do it (pull the trigger) and this guitar has stayed around for about 20 plus years and was never sold (thinned from teh hurd!).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Sollipsist likes this.

2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I liked the Vista series when they came out, I had the chance to buy a Supersonic but foolishly let it go. Never had the opportunity to try the Venus XII. Still looking for the perfect 12, the Rick 660/12 might be the one, but they are loadsa money and rare over here. The 620/12 sounds good but the neck is much too narrow. Same story with the Jackson Surfcaster I have. My Burns Double-six plays really easily but sounds too dull. What does the Venus sound like? how wide is the neck?

3. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Is one of those 'so ugly but I love it!' designs, very cool. I'd more than happily have one if it showed up at the right price. Always had a soft spot for Courtney Love as well.

I have the Vista bass, which was a nicely done Musicmaster copy. I bought it new in 1998 because the bassist in my band had his stolen and couldn't afford a replacement, and he used it for a few years then it reverted to me. They're very well made guitars, well worth picking up if you see a deal on one.

[​IMG]

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I was on a major 12 string kick several years ago, researching many of them. While I’ve never played, nor seen one in person, this model sounded like a funky, bang-for-the-buck deal

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm always looking for a good electric 12. I'd kinda rather have a Fender XII than a Ric anyway, so this seems like a good alternative. Your Venus looks cooler than most of the Fenders - is it routed for the Duncans specifically, or is it a swimming pool under there?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.