Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any reason to not use magnetic tip screwdrivers when working with pickups?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bluesky1963, Sep 26, 2017.

1. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I picked up a very nice basic set of Brownell's MagaTip gunsmiths screwdrivers a while back. The magnet in the driver is quite strong. I'm doing a pickup change soon and am wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't use them?

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Theoretically you might effect a magnets charge. I have had 'drivers become magnetized, so maybe the opposite could happen, but I ve never heard of any caveats from traditionalists, or rebels, so its not a well known catastrophe waiting to happen anyway.

bluesky1963 likes this.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Bluesky, from what I know, the threat of noticeably changing the magnetic charge on a pickup is more theoretical than actual. Maybe if you waggle the tip through the pole fields repeatedly for a long time, you could de-mag them a little, but for an install or de-install, not much danger.

Magnetic screwdriver tips can wreak havoc on playback heads on a cassette player or reel-to-reel machine, but there the issue is residual magnetization, not de-gaussing.

bluesky1963 likes this.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    The real practical problem is that a magnetic tipped screwdriver might pull itself out of your control and smack itself into the polepieces - a shock like that is not the best thing in the world for a magnet if it happens more than once. It would be helpful for strat style pickups using a spring (as opposed to surgical tubing spacers) to keep from dropping parts, but they always wind up stuck to the bottom of the pickup anyway. The advantage of magnetic tipped screwdrivers is that you don't drop small screws; not something that becomes a problem on a guitar really.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.