Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Other One Woman Men Out There?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Owensv, May 14, 2018.

1. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Oh.
    I thought this was about women. :oops:

A wise fella once told me the punishment for Bigamy was
    "having two wives"

My strat, tele, LP, flat-top, 12 string & bass don't get mad @ each other or yell at me. And no alimony either.
    Back to original: only one Mrs Deeve.
    But what a neck. . .:lol:

2blue2 likes this.

2. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    My first Strat was my only guitar for at least 10 years. I did terrible things to it in the name of versatility - I believe it heaved a sigh of relief when I started buying other guitars.

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I have several guitars but no duplicates - and, therefore, only one Tele. It's a MIJ 70s reissue.

Obsessed likes this.

4. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I've got 1 acoustic and 2 electrics - both Teles - an American Standard and an American Special. Sometimes I feel guilty and think 2 electrics is too much (just my mentality I guess). I liked the idea of having a back-up, but really I've never actually needed a back-up. I only take one guitar to a gig now. I satisfy myself by saying, well one is maple, one is rosewood, one is blonde one is sunburst etc. But really I could totally live with just one. I don't have kids or any debt or anything, and it's my main hobby so I shouldn't feel guilty, but somehow do a bit! It's weird!

Minimalist518 likes this.

5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Can you take me through this again, slowly?

Deeve, 6BQ5 and Owensv like this.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I have 6 guitars but would still be happy with my Cort L-100 OM CE and my blonde Telecaster 2004 Hwy. 1 that I put a Tonerider A111 in the bridge and replaced the 3 way saddles with a Gotoh chrome plated /brass 6 way bridge set up ( and my Princeton).
    I only have 6 guitars because I build 'em and use different tunings and a Strat for gigs.

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I only have one Telecaster.
    Very happy with it, though sometimes I catch myself looking at another.

I feel perfectly set for guitars and all manners of stringed instruments though.
    It seems like everything I ever wanted is now in my possession, with the possible exception of a GE Smith Signature Tele. But it's unlikely that I'll ever own one of those.

I'll just stay here and be content with my one Telecaster.
    And my one Fender Stratocaster.
    Two Gibson Les Paul's.
    One Martin 12-string acoustic.
    One ukulele.
    One cigar box guitar.
    One lap steel.
    Three other acoustics.
    Three electric basses, including the Fender Aerodyne that I lusted after for many years, and now possess.
    And eight other electric guitars of all types and varieties.

Man, I really am an addict, and I'll probably go insane until I get that GE Smith jobbie.
    :(

[​IMG]

Minimalist518 likes this.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, I’ve never had more than one of the SAME guitar, if that’s what you’re asking. And when I had a tele and a strat at the same time, I never really reached for the tele, and I’m more of a strat guy so now I don’t have a tele. But I have more than one electric, so if THAT’S what you’re asking, nope, not me. I just had one, a strat, for many many years, but now I seem to like having a couple. But different guitars, not multiples of the same...

-Ray

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis
    Well, I only have one Tele and I do love it, but I wouldn't say I am happy about it. I'd much rather have a few of them. Well, ok, ALL of them.

11. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2010
    Baltimore
    As a gigging musician, having a backup in case of breaking a string is a necessity.

Evil Funk likes this.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    This one, please ....around 1968:cool:

MV5BMTQyODg4NTA1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTYwMTUzNw@@._V1_.jpg

Obsessed likes this.

13. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I go through lots and lots of guitars but generally only keep one at a time for myself. I recently bought the Kotzen Tele in my avatar and it appears to be a keeper.

14. Only one Tele here, a Fender Thinline '72 Reissue that my wife bought me for my 60th birthday. I have 8 guitars, but they're all different, think I pretty much have my tonal bases covered (for being a non-pro, here). 2 acoustics, my Tele, a Strat, an Epi LP, an Epi Wildkat, a BMG, and a Squier Bronco bass.....never a dull moment, but my skills are fading (actually, my music theory memory is fading....I can fake it right well, just don't ask me what I'm playin' ;) )

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    A single tele owner here too. Can't imagine otherwise. Like others, I like having a bevy of classic tones available, so only one tele, one strat and one semi-hollow. I used to have a LP like too, but decided that I can only keep three electrics in rotation with my three acoustics. I GAS often for other guitars, and definitely not duplicates, but in reality, I'm content with my sounds and really can't rap my head around an additional electric. I could add a P-90 equipped guitar, but have not found one that I get along with and it may never happen and I can probably live without one.

Evil Funk likes this.

16. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    At this particular moment in time, I only have one tele (09 MIM in LPB with Emerson 4-way kit and Mojotone 52 clone alnico III pickups).

Of course, I also have (in terms of electrics)
    1960 Musicmaster
    2017 Duo Sonic
    2012 American Standard Strat
    2015 Les Paul Special Doublecut
    2012 Les Paul "Junior" Special P90

17. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you. The anthropomorphization of guitars has always felt icky to me. Give it a name if you want to, but call it "she, he" or talk about it like its your life partner ("she don't talk back, hardy har har")? Gross.

That said, I'm a one woman man and my wife is happy about that.

I also have one Telecaster and an Epiphone Riviera. In one project, the Telecaster is my main guitar and the Riviera is my backup. In the other, the Riviera is my main guitar and my telecaster is the backup. If I'm down to the backup, I'm mostly glad I brought one more than I am disheartened because it doesn't sound exactly like the respective primary guitar.

MilwMark likes this.

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Several years ago I was temporarily living four days a week in another city. My routine for a year was to fly out on Sunday night and fly back home on Thursday night.

A few weeks into this arrangement I decided this would be a good time to learn to play the mandolin; I had fooled around on the mandolin but never owned one.

When I told my wife she asked me how many guitars I owned; I had to count them. It came to seven. I really only played four.

She said, "You can't buy a mandolin. You don't even know how many guitars you own. And you don't play them all."

Then she bought me a mandolin for Christmas. My wife was the best. I miss her.

Evil Funk likes this.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    IN more direct answer to the question:

Four guitars and a bass that I play. And now two mandolins. A few guitars that I don't play but haven't convinced myself to get rid of. Only one Tele, a MIM Hot Rod with 1 Humbucker. The Tele was my only electric for years, and still my go-to electric after acquiring a second electric. It's probably the most versatile guitar that I own.

As age is taking a toll on my hands, I find it's easier to play my LP Special than the Tele. So the Tele gets less playing time.

20. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    My wife would surly arch an incredulous eyebrow at the guitar-as-woman metaphor in the thread title and if I were to press that metaphor to one of monogamy, guitar or otherwise, the lovely green orb beneath that brow would likely go stink-eye (but not without a sparkle.) So, the question as literally phrased has only one answer in regard to Mrs. Minimalist. “Yes.”
    If, however, you’re referring to Telecasters (or Telecaster variants) alone, then yeah. I have one, it has one pickup, it’s my number one, and it’s the right one!
    IMG_2894.JPG
    On the other hand, I do have three electric guitars seemingly in spite of myself.
    One would be ideal.
    Two is arguably practical from the standpoint of having a spare.
    But I can’t seem to get the number below three. I think I just have a mental block, although I do believe I’ve gotten it down to three keepers (my Esquire, an Epi LP and a Blacktop Jazzmaster all significantly modified) that all give me different yet complimentary features. (At least that’s what is posted on a yellow and black sign on the mental block across my path to true minimalism.)

MilwMark and Obsessed like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.