Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any one have a original Ampeg J-12 Jet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Warm Gums, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    Over the weekend I picked up a clean J-12D for a decent price
    At some point the speaker had been "upgraded" to a PV Scorpion, which made the amp sound very dark & muddy. Soooooooo.

I swapped the Scorp into my PV Pacer & put the Eminence p-12 clone from the Pacer in the Jet, voila decent sound. The Eminence looks to be basically the same as the stock speaker, (stamped frame, integral u shaped magnet cover) & it just kisses the power tubes, from what I can tell from various photos this is how thing were BITD, but I would be interested in input from anyone who has a Jet with the stock speaker..

2. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2007
    phoenix
    I've had a couple Jets and a Reverbojet... First was a '59 J-12 w/ 6V6's and a very-small-magnet alnico Jensen. P12S I think it was? Might have a picture somewhere, ended up selling it to a guy who's occasionally on the TDPRI.

Second was a '64 J-12-A which is closer to yours (but still a diff schematic). Pretty sure the speaker would have been the same, though - a so-so CTS alnico. Mine has/had the original speaker. Definitely nothing to brag about, but not terrible. There was a *little* room to spare. I struggled a bit deciding what to put in there - so little room, as you know. I ended up with an old Jensen alnico P12Q which actually touches one of the power tubes... I put a little rubber auto o-ring on the tube to pad the contact. Sounds AWESOME.

Also had that J-12-R Reverbojet, which would have come with the same crappy CTS alnico (I think), but I liked it best with various Fender/Eminence OEM ceramics before I sold the thing.

3. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego
    I have a 1960 Jet with the original Jensen 12 inch speaker...
    It is a great sounding amp....
    was thinking about selling it, but I "played it one more time"...
    now I use it everyday in stereo with my VOX AC15 handwired...
    some of the best guitar amp sounds I've ever heard!

4. Warm Gums

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    Cool idea with the O ring, I will give it a try as I like the sound of this old Eminence..

5. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mar 28, 2006
    Seee-attle
    I'm about to do some maintenance work on a friend's J-12D (used to belong to Commander Cody, legend has it). I'm gonna replace the 2-wire AC cord, disconnect the death cap, replace the handle and logo, and put in a new filter cap can. It already sounds pretty great, but the amp has filter-cap hum and the cord could kill him.

6. Warm Gums

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    This one needs a tune up also (I did get a nice logo) With the exception of the missing handle, it's in fine cosmetic condition, with only a few minor scrapes & some fading of the grile cloth & control panel; looks nice with a bit of patina..I'm amazed that I got a quality professional instrument for about what a offshore 1x12 ss combo would cost new.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I've got a 1960 Jet and a 1959 Rocket. The amps sound pretty much the same, the Rocket just has an extra knob to control the trem (only one trem knob on the Jet). I tried swapping out the vintage speaker in both amps and feel like the old Jensen had way more character. By the way, running these two amps together pretty much kills, and as a point of reference I've played through (and own) some pretty great stuff to compare it to.

One of my friends from out of town came over and he's into Boogies and other types of higher end amps and when he heard that setup he immediately started thinking about how he could get a couple of old Jets or Rockets to run in tandem.

8. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Jacksonville , Fl.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

1965 Ampeg J12 D. I hardly ever play it , but when I do its fun.
    Its up for sale or trade if anyone is interested.

www.myspace.com/redtele2

9. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mar 28, 2006
    Seee-attle
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that the preamp tubes don't go bad. They seem to be just about impossible to get (12-pin, triple triode 6BK11).

10. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Jacksonville , Fl.

11. Natstrat79

Natstrat79 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2007
    Iowa
    Like it was said before the stock speakers in jet's were not always the best to begin with so I wouldn't worry about finding an exact replacement. The early jets used P12s speakers then some might have even had C12s or C12r's and the latest models usually had some sort of CTS speakers. The Jet has limited room so large alnicos like the celestion blue and P12N are out. Smaller alnico's without the bell covers do fit i.e. p12r p12q and their Weber equivalents 12a100 and 12a125. If you want the most flexibility with higher power ratings while still fitting in the Jet's cabinet then ceramic is the way to go. The non-Reverb rocket however takes just about anything just fine. I have a P12N in mine.

12. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Jacksonville , Fl.
    Heres a picture of my J12 D its the stock speaker , but I have no idea what it is. Only markings I can find are some numbers stamped on the cage. I have ran the numbers on every speaker / amp site I have found. Numbers dont seem to match anything , i can find.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

www.myspace.com/redtele2

13. Graham Pearson

Graham Pearson TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Fredericksburg, Texas
    Original speaker was a Jensen Concert Alnico 5

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.