any of you guys lift weights?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marquee Moon, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I'm in my early 30s and just started lifting again after about 5 years of not doing it. I used to be able to bench 220 for reps and squat about the same. Not alot in other words. One reason I wanted to do this again is I realized there was a direct correlation between my tone and my grip strength. My buddy who lifts and does construction has serious grip strength, and has that loud chiming SRV type tone when he plays. Now that I started again, I did 20 bicep curls with 30 pounds and man am I feeling it the next day. Any of you guys notice this?

horax and Greg_L like this.
  2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I tried lifting weights once.

They were too heavy....

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm 52 and I have a daily workout regimen, but I don't lift heavy anymore. Now I lift lighter weights, more repetitions. I'm trying to avoid wrecking my joints. My goal is to simply stay healthy enough that I'm not in a nursing home in 20 years. Also, I read someplace that once you hit age 35, you lose about 5% of your muscle mass every year. I'm trying to counteract that.

4. Marquee Moon

yeah, thats a big reason why I'm doing it. hopefully i can grow enough by then so i wont be weak the rest of my life.

5. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Unbelievable. Are you doing a dinner show Saturday?

enterprise likes this.
  6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

So, by the time you’re 55, like me you have no muscle mass and therefore must be 100% fat or something?

There was a guy on here once who was something of a bodybuilder. He might know.

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Also, it's a good idea to consume at least one gram of protein per every pound of body weight, every day. Whey protein. If you try to eat enough actual food to get this much protein, you'll turn into an elephant.

bftfender likes this.
  8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I lift. I used to do like this sort of "powerbuilding" hybrid program for years and got stupid strong. But it took a toll on my wrists and elbows. Now I just chill out and lift for maintenance and health.

I've not noticed any guitar playing benefits though. That seems pretty far fetched. :lol:

You don't need "grip strength" to play guitar unless you're so amazingly weak that you can't even hold on to one. Pushing down too hard on the fretboard doesn't squeeze out any more sustain or tone. What you need is technique. Randy Rhoads was a friggin dwarf. Angus young is a dwarf. Prince was a dwarf. Those guys had no problems with guitars while not quite being bodybuilders.

On the flip side, Zakkk Wylde is a hulking hairy beast and his tone is garbage. Go figure.

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yup, but more into cross training these days..anything to make things harder to do. use the property as a giant workout arena..trees, cutting & dragging..last years bucket by bucket of stone to fill a 1880's built house, floor was dirt & stoned it & concrete. carried the bags & buckets instead of wheel barreling up from back. can't wait to we move to FL..getting property with unlimited things to clear & places to build. Built addition 480 sq ft, 2 years ago..no help. Only prob my stinkin phone rings every 5 min

10. Marquee Moon

doesnt that depend on the gauge of strings you are playing and how clean you are playing?

11. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I’ve worked construction and lifted all my adult life. Not sure about tone but I can play some acoustics comfortably that my buddies can’t play a g chord on

Marquee Moon likes this.
  12. Marquee Moon

doesnt that depend on the gauge of strings you are playing and how clean you are playing? It takes stronger hands to play clean and heavy strings in my experience

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

here On the TDPRI there’s a rich tradition of bodybuilding and nuanced elevator etiquette.

14. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Nope. None of that matters.

Please lift weights for all the good it can do. Just don't think it's going to make you a better guitar player any more than it would make you a better accountant.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  15. Marquee Moon

how can having stronger fore arms, wrists, fingers not help play heavy strings without distortion?

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

How "heavy" do you think heavy strings are? You don't have to be a powerlifter to play a guitar. If you want to move up to heavier string gauges, just do it in steps and keep practicing. You'll adjust to each new gauge up in no time. Even the heaviest guitar strings are not hard to bend. Play a bass. Not that hard.

I'm not trying to discourage you, buddy. I'm just saying, practice and technique is more important for guitar than bench presses. Lift weights and practice guitar. Best of both worlds!

Toadtele and Marquee Moon like this.
  17. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tae kwon do a coupla two-tree times a week; upper/lower resistance bands every-other day with kickboxing in between ...

I dunneed ta be buff ... just need ta be able ta move ... ‘cuz when ya stop movin’, ya stop movin’ ...

9E144293-E1DE-4C5C-8F3C-9EFF94FC3015.jpeg

... that’s my 80-year-old MIL I’m holding for, BTW ...

18. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Our drummer lifts weights. I let him take care of that end of things since he is way better at it than I could ever be. I know my limits. I was always the fast sprinter type.

19. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

good stuff, been fighting since 70's

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

@Marquee Moon cool thread discussion though. You got me thinking of my own limitations. For me, if I'm trying to write and figure out something new and I'm going too fast, I feel it in the top of my forearm. The extender muscles...whatever they'e called. The muscles that release the fingers, not grip the fingers. The hairy part. Lol. There's no really good way to work those. Reverse wrist curls are okay, but not that effective. They just get secondary work from other movements like barbell rows or pullups.

Anyway, just simple bodyweight exercises could be all you need.

Marquee Moon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.