Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any of y'all scrape your cheek to "find out where you're from" ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A friend of a friend had this done. She knew her father was pure Ashkenazi jew so it was her mother's background she was looking to learn about. Results came back. No ashkenazi background at all. She asked her mom. Mom put a hand on her arm and said: "Dear, sit down for a moment....". Turns out there was a man before her present "dad".

Mike Simpson, xafinity and Obsessed like this.

2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    My consternation, utter bewilderment in the breath of impossible humankind is void, a wet fist dampening the crickling plaster for the next dawn's required courage. No consolation of the glass could bear the blur of my rebuild, no blood nest wretched and twisted enough for me to pull back, this far from souls with my eyes.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Goodnight 1955.

drf64 and 1955 like this.

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    So which one is the best. I might try.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Mine came back saying the mail man was my father, my bros came back saying he was born in scotland.........HMMMMM, he's blond haired blue eyes, Im dark brown hair brown eyes ....HMMMM

uriah1 likes this.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    My mom did it with Ancestry. Her results were:

geneticmap.jpg

I find this information quite useless. As Sicilians, Greece and Italy are to be expected. There is no family history of anything but Sicily and perhaps a north African ancestor five or six generations back, maybe. The "European Jewish" bit means absolutely nothing to us at all.

So, what does this actually mean? That during the Neanderthal era we had ancestors from central Europe?

Again, all it basically says is that we're Sicilian with, possibly, some blood from the general vicinity of Sicily. So, $100 well spent? You make the call!

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That's crazy. You look just like a young Albert Collins. May want to get your money back.

rich815 likes this.

9. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I met all of my ancestors who were still alive in the 1950's. That's as much as I want to know about them.

RLee77 likes this.

10. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    That's funny -- I've always kind of figured that if there's a relative that I don't know, it's probably because I'm better off not knowing them. Kind of like my grandfather vetted that side of the family and said, "OK, that's enough of that!"

11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    the tin foil hats are there so that you can bypass logical thinking and just blame it all on "tin foil hats" a way to describe everything by saying nothing, its like "conspiracy theory" a way to cast aspersions without presenting logical debunking of anything.

Now read this article in the UK paper, won't see much about this in the US, where we defacto give away all of our privacy by being US citizens, and if you don't know how much the NSA has on file on everyone from the garbage man to the Supreme Court, then you probably don't know who Edward Snowden is and don't care.

read this and realize what they can do with just your clicks on your computer and if you have any logical abilities extrapolate what they could do with your clicks and your DNA and your credit records and all the other data they can corelate.

You may call me paranoid, but if you're not paranoid, you're not paying attention.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/05/smartphone-addiction-silicon-valley-dystopia

p.s - there have already been patent/copyright disputes over tests and therapies developed with people's DNA (without their permission)

https://thinkprogress.org/ancestry-...m-customers-and-their-relatives-dbafeed02b9e/

Things are more complicated than you think, why would you give away your genome?

12. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta

what you give away for 99$ "
    Don’t use the AncestryDNA testing service without actually reading the Ancestry.com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. According to these legal contracts, you still own your DNA, but so does Ancestry.com.

The family history website Ancestry.com is selling a new DNA testing service called AncestryDNA. But the DNA and genetic data that Ancestry.com collects may be used against “you or a genetic relative.” According to its privacy policies, Ancestry.com takes ownership of your DNA forever. Your ownership of your DNA, on the other hand, is limited in years"

https://thinkprogress.org/ancestry-...m-customers-and-their-relatives-dbafeed02b9e/

Teleterr likes this.

13. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    "if you have any logical abilities extrapolate what they could do with your clicks and your DNA"

Slippery slope. Logic fail 101.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    The only problem is that any bloodtest you have ever gotten in a medical center of any type, as in getting a yearly physical, could easily have already extracted your dna... it's about as secure as your SSN (ie, anyone at any time in that chain of custody can exploit it).

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    They'd conclude that there is a specific gene for telecaster players.

backporchmusic likes this.

16. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    There is a difference between giving something away and having it stolen.

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

18. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    There is ! Sure, you can make a Tele player by locking them in the closet until they ve played 2 hours, but many Deviant Behavior Psychologists now believe its 90% genes.

19. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I guess I'm weird in that if my DNA can be used to come up with useful therapies to help other people with some disease, then I see that as a good thing. Also, there is no current marketplace for me to be able to monetize my DNA and save the world.

So if others aggregate my DNA with hundreds, thousands, or millions of others and come up with a way to treat disease, then call me happy.

20. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    upload_2017-10-9_17-18-31.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.