Any Mustang IIIv2 owners upgrade to a PRRI or DRRI and regret it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OzShadow, May 26, 2019.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

i only play at home. I have been seriously considering buying a 65 PRRI for only home use. I have the Mustang IIIv2 and worry the difference in $$$ will not be worth the difference in performance. I mean, I could grab another used AmStd Strat or Tele for the price.

I have also considered the DRRI as I have seen them at nicer prices occasionally but since this is only for home use, I worry that it will be too much.

Either is hard to find locally where I can spend much time with them, especially semi-private. I do not buy and sell often , so I am hoping to get it right the first time.

Has anyone done a similar upgrade? Love it? Hate it?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

man... those mustang II are cool.. have you hooked it up to your laptop or desktop and tweaked it? if not, man, I'd do that first....

I put my III on a deluxe or twin setting and I LOVE how it sounds.

RodeoTex likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sold an MIIIv1 and got an SCX2 which can get close to a Princeton sound. I don't regret getting the SCX2 at all, but regret selling the MIII. Even at home volumes, it spoke with the authority of a high-powered amp and filled the room better. I'd be better off having both amps.

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. NateD81

NateD81 TDPRI Member

YMMV, but I had a SCX2 and while I enjoyed it, when I picked up a DRRI and brought home and A / B them, the comparison (to my ears) was not even close. The DRRI is a dream to play, and from what others say, so is a PRRI. I think no matter how nice of a guitar you have, its signal is still passing through an amp, so I want the best amplification as possible. Neither of the amps are cheap of course, so that’s always a consideration, too.

5. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

No, but I had a Mustang IV V2 and upgraded to a Supersonic 22 in 2016.

Still happy with the upgrade.

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I have a Mustang III v2, a Katana 50, and recently acquired a hand wired 5E3 (Tweed Deluxe clone). The 5E3 really sounds great, but gets played the least, not because I don't like it, but the Katana and the MIII work so nice as a low volume practice amps. As good as the MIII and the Katana sound, I haven't been able to completely capture the sound of the 5E3 with either of them. But the 5E3 isn't nearly as versatile as the other two.

For strictly home use, it's hard to beat a good modelling amp. For a tube amp to really come into its own, it has to be turned up louder than most home environments allow.

RodeoTex, PhatBoy and blowtorch like this.
  7. NateD81

NateD81 TDPRI Member

For what it’s worth - Iplay my DRRI in a condo, in my garage and don’t have any problems. It’s not exactly whisper quiet, but you can still keep it at a reasonable volume - it needs a pedal for dirt when using at home, but it’s not too loud. I put in an inefficient speaker, and I can play at about 3 give or take without any complaints from my wife or three year old. Not saying this must be the route you go, but I spent a lot of time fretting about noise levels before picking up my DRRI and it ended up by fine.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m very curious about the two or the three. I’m a dyed in the wool tube amp person but for the right price used I’d be all over one of those because I know what a Swiss Army knife those things are supposed to be.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I had the mustang iii (v2 I think), and I tried for a long time to get the sounds I wanted.
    In the end, I got a vox ac15 and have never looked back at digital amps.
    To me at least, there is no comparison in terms of feel and musicality.

I think that if you're familiar with what a good tube amp is supposed to sound like you can get a good approximation. If not, there are so many options that it is hard to find your voice.

NateD81 likes this.
  10. The Birdman

The Birdman TDPRI Member

I have a Mustang III V2, a 65 PRRI and a 65 DRRI. The Mustang III is going to be traded in at some point, the PRRI and DRRI are never going anywhere. Move on, and never look back.

The Blood and Archtop Bill like this.
  11. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

The digital stuff is fun and sounds great, right up to the point you play side by side with a "real" amp.
    I would buy a Cyber Twin tomorrow if I found one for under 300 bucks, they are a ton of fun and you can get some great gain stuff, put it next to a real twin and well...

Digital amps are like underdog sports teams, Next year will be the year Digital SS stuff will beat Tubes.
    Or probably not LOL !!!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And yet for practicality, modeling wins.

In every aspect: versatility, portability, reliability, affordability

ricardo1912 and Vespa_One like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Life is too short if you want to play a tube amp get the tube amp.

Whether you decide on the PRRI or the DRRI if it's too loud you can get an attenuator as well. Realistically any tube amp with the right attenuator will sound good pretty down to a volume level where you are hearing too much of the acoustic sound of your guitar.

Next year will always be the year Modelers are finally better. But there is no way any of the Mustangs are that modeler the way they are constantly discussed and teeth are constantly ground about whatever fault a given Mustang has.

The shortcut is just to go buy the Fender tube amp you want and be done, those amps are here to day and work really well.

Are any Mustang amps even 10 years old? Can't say they are more reliable when they've barely been around for the blink of an eye.

It's definitely not a sound thing for me, it's a feel thing. If you are playing the Mustang and I'm listening and it sounds good it's good for me.

14. blues bondsman

Versatility, sure if you don't mind sub par tone
    Portability, ya got me there I'll concede that one.
    Reliability, More reliable than my 1968 Fender ??? Kinda doubt it, in fact I'll wager most of it wont last a decade much less 50 plus years.
    Affordability, My VHT Special 6 cost me 160 shipped, My 68 Bandmaster 500 ish and I wont have to nor want to replace them any time soon.

Now speakers that's a different story, I do like my Webers and they are not cheap, but more than worth it.

I'm also willing to bet my Chinese made VHT will outlast 95% of the digital stuff by twenty plus years.

So funny to see so many willing to cheapen the guitar experience for convenience, but it is where we are as humans sadly.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not convenience, it's accessibility. Guitar playing needn't and shouldn't be something reserved only for the "elite".

And, it's not "cheapening". Not at all. :)

scelestus likes this.
  16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I don't know if it's cheapening the experience for convenience. I appreciate that someone who just wants to play can have a wealth of usable gear at their disposal, even if they don't have a lot of money.

blowtorch likes this.
  17. getbent

if you take one saturday morning and take the time to hook it to your laptop and carve out a couple hours to create 'your' sounds.... you will only go back like visiting the old neighborhood. I have all of mine saved... have not 'logged in' for more than a year or two and know my presets (including pedals) and instant happiness and good sounds.

Mike Eskimo and blowtorch like this.
  18. getbent

that is some hoosier wisdom there!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  19. blues bondsman

If you can show me apples for apples how its "cheaper" to buy digital compared to tube gear these days.
    Bull crackers !

If this is about cost or accessibility then spell it out, show us all how this isn't about being lazy and taking the easy way out and then excusing the losses brought on by this digital gear.

Change for the sake of change is just foolish, if something is time tested and true what's the point in going backwards in terms of value.

I have to put gas in my car and change the oil and I take pride in keeping it running well, I had to obtain the knowledge to do that and it required time and effort.
    Musicianship is similar and cheapening the experience and the music itself is a shame !

20. blues bondsman

Feel like sharing with the class ?
    West coast wisdom maybe ? LOL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.