Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Any married folk...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Belhade, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Belhade

Belhade Tele-Meister

...who play with their wedding band on, rub a groove in the neck? I just noticed that my ring is hitting the treble side of the neck, especially when I have to reach over to the bass strings.

2. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Dec 15, 2012
    South Jersey
    If I were you I'd just take it off to be safe and avoid damage. I'm not married ,but I take things off my wrist when I play just to avoid scratching or wearing away at anything. I know a few auto mechanics that remove them as well. I found some forums with post that I copied and pasted below. One of them calls it a finger shackle lol Well I hope this helps somewhat if at all :)

"I have gigged VERY heavily with this guitar the past 18 months, wedding ring clacking against it and all, so it has had its share."

"Yeah, I've noticed a few dings now that I've got the finger shackle. I don't see it really causing anything noticeable unless you're wearing a really glorious man-ring."

"A friend of mine has a 80's Tele whose neck has dents all up and down the back of it. It does NOT feel good to play at all. I asked him how it got that way, he said he used to wear a big ring when he played when he was young! I like to keep my stuff primo, personally."

3. TEAM LANDRETH

TEAM LANDRETH Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2009
    Winnipeg
    I know what you mean. I rubbed a little groove in my neck once with my wedding band. I fired them all.

Got a divorce, too.

Now I have fifteen teles.....

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    When I play the ring goes on my right hand.

6. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

I'm a lefty, so no neck-rubbing issues here.

7. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Interesting. I never saw a guy rub his own neck that hard with his wedding ring before! :D

-Gnobuddy

8. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

wedding band in my right hand, watch on my left. no rub marks on the neck, no scratches on the body

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    My wedding band never touches the neck. I've never even thought about it. I read this and had to grab my guitar to make sure. I just have a simple wedding band, but prior to that I used to wear a heavier ring on that finger. It's never been an issue with over 40 years of playing. I don't know how I would have to change my technique to have my ring hit the neck or fingerboard.
    Do you have real short fingers or small hands? Do you choke the neck with your hand when you play?

I think maybe the fact that I started out studying classical violin as a kid taught me proper hand position on the neck.

10. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

May 21, 2011
    South Carolina
    Lose the ring for 3 months and gain 20 lbs... Ring doesn't fit anymore, problem solved.

11. Belhade

Belhade Tele-Meister

Yeah, I was wondering if this was exposing a flaw in my technique, but I really do have fairly small hands.

12. Terry O'Malley

Terry O'Malley Tele-Holic

Nov 2, 2012
    Melbourne
    When I got married I got a white falcon....

I don't wear a ring.....problem solved

Good wife huh?

Attached Files:

13. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    Right hand ring wearer. That's where she put it, that's where it usually stays.

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Izzat what's making the little mysterious dents in the back of the neck? Howdy-do and whaddya know. Not taking the ring off.

15. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2011
    My Fretboard
    Check out Jeff's right hand. Just do that!

Attached Files:

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I've always worn my wedding rings (2 of them so far;)) on my right hand ... That is the most usual way in Norway.

17. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I've been married for 45 years. I quit wearing my wedding ring about 30 years ago. Don't need it, "married" is written all over my face.

18. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Feb 22, 2011
    London
    Doesn't effect me on my tele, but it makes a real racket on my acoustic - a racket that is out of time with my playing oddly, so I take it off then.

19. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I don't wear a ring.

20. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I wear a ring on my third finger. It doesn't make any marks or anything but sometimes if I'm playing a stretchy chord the ring might actually contact a string and I hear an odd note as I strum. Just have to practice it out.

21. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    My wedding band didn't fit anymore so off it went. I don't need it to remind me I'm married.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.