Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any love for old Traynor's

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Strato50, Sep 16, 2017.

1. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Yes! Thanks. That was it: a YBA-3, 4 power tubes, pre-bumper, side fan. A great head.

2. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    Nice head!
    The model is YGL-3 Mark 3.

3. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Sep 30, 2011
    Dutchess County NY
    My '71 YBA-1 is one of my favorite amps ever.

4. The Grim Peeper

The Grim Peeper Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2013
    Boonsville
    Sounds bad ass! I have two YBAs and a ygm. I did filters and volume pot to 1 meg on the YBAs a a speaker change in the ygm3 maybe some bright cap snipping. Oh yeah I also have a ysr. All amps are killer!!! Anyone who dislikes them was not clever enough to tweak them right.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    "Any love for old Traynor's?"

IMG_1781.JPG

6. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    So it is, thanks!

7. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    Sparks, NV
    I had a 70's YGM-3 like yours some years ago. I opened the back up and put in a cheap but better speaker and it made an excellent rehearsal amp that I was not afraid to leave somewhere. As usual, sorry I sold it.

8. The Grim Peeper

The Grim Peeper Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2013
    Boonsville
    This may surprise others but I have a couple deluxe reverbs and I think the Ygm3 is on par if not ahead of them. I should note it was serviced by a renouned amp tech. Also i should add I use two V30s one is in an extension cab. Best 20 watter I'm aware of. Like I said I'm not sure exactly what was done to the ygm I just know it kills! This amp needs good celestions to shine. In order to do that you need to run an ext cab. This is because it's 4 ohms. 2 speakers in parallel using ext speaker.

9. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2008
    Oshawa, near Toronto
    Love for Traynor? Heck yes. They made them in Toronto, my home town. The factory is 10 mins from my house now. I've owned the BassMaster YBA-1 3 times over the decades. Photo is the first one with the 2x15 cab. I've also fully re-capped a few for other people. I play bass. I played a Telecaster through my friends YGM-1 = pure tone heaven. He wouldn't sell it to me. Traynor amps will always have my love. Old Bass Rig.JPG

5595bassman likes this.

10. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum TDPRI Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Chincoteague, VA
    I have a 1967 / 68? BassMaster YBA-1, with 7027's (think: 1970s Ampegs) ... and a late 1960's BassMate, with 6V6's. Also; a stand-alone 1960's Reverb Unit. All are in excellent condition, and stock, as original.
    I'm not modding them. I think it would be stupid.
    I have a mint "Top 50" (by Carlsbro) that kills Marshall JTM-45's.

Soooo ... why would I mod anything ?

~ Pappy ~
    deplorable :cool: pick'r

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Still for sale? I really want another one of these heads. I bought one and modded it as a clean platform for a friend. I really liked the tones, and have been trying to find another one. Most are combos, and I'd really prefer a head, like the previous one.

Here's a soundclip of the one I modded. These things were called 'Twin Killers' and I made changes to where I thought it'd better live up to that name. So here's my 'Twin Killer' (excuse the bad camera angle/frame, I don't have a good place to set my phone up to record me playing.

12. Sporqueman

Sporqueman TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Powell River, BC
    I don't have a Traynor stage amp, although I've played through some that I quite liked. What I do have, however, is a Traynor TVM-50 (a busking amp) and Traynor YBX-212 cabinet that I love. It doesn't take up much real estate on stage, and it's great to have the upper speaker angled up a bit, like some 4X12 cabs.

13. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Not if you are talking about this SS amp from the 80s -- a Traynor Bloc 50. Sounded like a pile of wet blankets. I hated the O/D channel back then and I knew nothing about amps or guitar. It was my first amp.

[​IMG]

14. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ

I sold it a while ago. It was a monster.

15. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    5595bassman posted:

‘67(?) YBA-2B Bass Mate 18W 1x15” combo ( with 6V6 ) Modified as an open back for guitar with optional panel and Weber speaker

‘71 YBA-2A head 20W ( with 6BQ5 )

‘69 YGM-3 Conservatory Special Edition 20W 1x12” combo original Marsland Alnico speaker ( nicknamed “White Face” ) ( with 6BQ5 )

‘69(?) YGM-3 20W 1x12” combo ( speaker replaced with Jensen P12R ) ( with 6BQ5 )

‘72 YGM-3 20W 1x12” combo ( speaker replaced with Celestion G12T-75 ) ( with 6BQ5 )

just curious---toward those who have owned these models whether they were primarily voiced like the big brother EL34 amps, or a nod to existing iconic amps using EL84 and 6V6 output bottles?

[EL84 amps voiced like vox and/or 6V6 amps voiced fenderish?]

thanx,
    mitchfit

16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack TDPRI Member

My September '73 YRM-1 Reverb Master

[​IMG]

It is my second, and is a pretty hot little guy. Two EL34s, master volume, reverb and trem. I gave up and wrote a page about it on my website, HERE.

Bob

17. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2014
    Windsor ON Canada
    This is my 1976 YGM3. It likes British voiced speakers, built like a tank, solid 20 tube watt performer.
    2E1828B8-4E84-4781-B3AA-2259EDCFA947.jpeg

18. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but the old tuck and roll padded covers.

Knew a singer who sang through an old bass amp (head and cab about 4 feet tall, dark blue vinyl with sparkles). Kept it in his basement, once it went down those old steps it wasn't coming up again (100 year old house, steps had a 90 degree turn and were barely wide enough for one person).

It was plenty loud, especially down there.

Best friend from kindergarten on told me over the phone he had one. I asked if it was the tuck and roll covering. He said it was.

Also said it was pretty loud.

19. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2008
    Oshawa, near Toronto

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.