Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any love for old Traynor's

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Strato50, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    My YGM-3 absolutely screams...Its been recapped...JJ tubes and an Eminence Wizard speaker

Here is me noodling on it. excuse my fumbling around.

2. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    Sweet amp! I have had a Traynor amp in the music room for years-its a twin style with 4 el34s. It sounds great-although I will admit until just a few weeks ago I had never played it- only listened to other play through it-but I plugged my firebird into it during a jam- and boy what a sound! People say they are built like tanks, and from what I have seen- I would have to agree!

Henry Mars and Strato50 like this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great, tough amps!

Strato50 likes this.

4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    They are built to last...he would throw em off a building and if they worked they went into production...I have this one for sale...but i am having second thoughts...it smoke my deluxe reverb.

5. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Fantastic amps. A buddy of mine has a Bassmaster YBA-1, sounds like a JTM-45 circuit. Great cleans and great distortion. Hey Joe, if you're reading this would you reconsider selling it to me? :cool:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Strato50 likes this.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    the Traynor YBA-1 is basically a marshall plexi and with a few very minor changes is the same circuit, if you see one grab it , very cool little amp that kicks hinney

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    old Traynor's what?

maj34 likes this.

8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

This was my very first amp, I bought it (along with a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty) both for $500, back in 1982.

I lugged that amp around for over 20 years. I still have the Les Paul, but I absolutely do not miss my old Traynor. IMO, it sounded like crap. I even took it to Gerald Weber and it still sounded dull as heck, compared to a luscious blackface Fender amp.

Weighted 100 lbs, built like a tank, but... um... ya

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I am good friends with Gerald...he is from where I live...sorry yours sucked ..The YGM-3 is one of the better ones.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    My first amp was also a Traynor and I also do not miss it, at all
    42977035_614.jpg

11. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    1969 Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster head is my main gigging amp and has been for the past 26 years. Currently going through an Eminence Wizard. Probably needs a recap by now, but what a great amp. OK so I'm an old git, but I have no interest at all in bells and whistles modelling amps that will be obsolete within five years.

With the Traynor I use a boost/drive pedal, a tremolo, a Hardwire reverb and Carbon Copy delay. Sounds damn good, even with me playing! Usual guitars are a Gretsch 5622 semi (three Hilotrons), Mexican Fender Tele with Firebird neck pickup, Hamer Monaco (a sort of Les Paul) with two P90s, or an Epiphone Riviera P93 with three P90s.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

12. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

May 23, 2003
    Canada
    I bought a YGM-3 about seven months ago, mainly because I figured that living here I really should have a Traynor amp of some kind...

It's a great little amp and all original except for power tubes and 3-pronged cord. I've been using it exclusively for my home practice amp and it sounds nice with everything I have. I've read that there are a couple of simple mods that should be done if you want to gig with it but that's not a priority since I use an Allen Hot Fudge w/Nuts for that.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Yep clip the bright cap...put a beefy speaker in and lookout!

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    The various Bassmates make a nice amp for a small studio as it can handle bass, keys and with a few pedals guitar. IMHO a better choice than a MMB if you need to cover all three as it's closed back, & has a larger speaker. Early versions are better guitar amps, while the later lean more to the bass end of things but all are usable and at far less money than building up a multi amp collection.

15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I had two '70's Bassmasters at one point, but only one now. I once used it with a Real Tube Reverb patched between the channels and a cab with an EVM-12L. It made my Fender amps jealous. I have a 4 x 12" cab for it now, but it's overkill for most gigs.

WINTER 2013 015.jpg

cabra velha and Strato50 like this.

16. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Short answer, yes.

I still regret getting rid of the huge, amazing sounding Traynor head I had way back in the day. I don't remember the model, but it was old, all tube, and had a fan built into the side.
    It was heavy and loud, but sounded amazing.

17. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    '60s YBA-1A (Bass Master MKII with 2 power tubes) & YBA-3 (Custom Special with 4 power tubes) had a fan on the side.
    In the '70s (bumper era) those had the fan inside.

To OP: in my case "love" is a bit light, "GAS" would be more appropriate.

Here is a list of what I have/had over the years :

‘66 YBA-1 head 45W ( with 7027 ) Bought used around 1968 ( sold in 1969 )

‘66 YBA-1 head 45W ( with 7027 )

‘67 YBA-1A Mk II head 90W ( with ???? and side mounted fan ) Bought used in 1969 ( sold in 1971 )

’72 YBA-1A Mk II head 90W ( with 6CA7 )

‘66 YBA-2 Bass Mate cube combo 18W (with 5Y3 and 6V6 ) Bought new in 1966. (Chassis now in home-made head cab)

‘67(?) YBA-2B Bass Mate 18W 1x15” combo ( with 6V6 ) Modified as an open back for guitar with optional panel and Weber speaker

‘71 YBA-2A head 20W ( with 6BQ5 )

‘69 YGM-3 Conservatory Special Edition 20W 1x12” combo original Marsland Alnico speaker ( nicknamed “White Face” ) ( with 6BQ5 )

‘69(?) YGM-3 20W 1x12” combo ( speaker replaced with Jensen P12R ) ( with 6BQ5 )

‘72 YGM-3 20W 1x12” combo ( speaker replaced with Celestion G12T-75 ) ( with 6BQ5 )

‘71 YSR-1 head 45W ( with 6CA7 )

And these cabs : 2 x YB-18A, YF-10, 2 x YS-15, YS-15P, YT-12, 2 x YT-15 (sold).

Traynor YT-12 & YB-18.JPG YBA-2 1967 + Cab Front 01.JPG YBA-2A 1971 + Cab Side 01.JPG YGM-3 wf - YGM-3 - YBA-2B  02.JPG

Strato50 likes this.

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Killer collection...I tell ya Traynor's are bad to the bone....I am keeping mine. PTP with those Hammond Transformers...I found a pedal that really sounds good with it for blues and roots music. It's a keeper.

19. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've got two, both from the early '70s- a YGM3, and a YBA4 (YBA1 head in a 1x15" combo).

My YGM3 is unmodded, and sounds like a cross between a Twin and a Deluxe. I put an Emi Big Ben in the YBA4 and it sounds amazing, but keeps blowing fuses. I still haven't figured out the problem, and I won't really have time to get into it again for a couple months. In the meantime I'll just have to make do with my Ampeg VT22, which is a fine amp... but something of a letdown after hearing the YBA4 in full flight.

20. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    How about this one: I got it in a trade recently, up for sale BTW
    Traynor Front.jpg

Four EL34s! YGM3 Mark 3

drlucky and JD0x0 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.