Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Any love for Joe Jackson?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by w3stie, Jan 8, 2017.

1. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I liked this one and Look Sharp

[​IMG]

2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Holic

I have a dvd-rom that someone gave me loaded up with a HEAP of bootleg concerts and rare stuff..mmmmmmm...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    London UK
    Yes - the early guitar based stuff. Great songs, vocals and tight, taught urgent band.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    No love from me.

The way he beat Michael and Mrs Jackson was just........

OK, bad joke over.:D

robinn, E5RSY and studio like this.
  6. awasson

awasson Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Oh crap, I've got Joe Jackson ear worms at 20 to 12 and I have to work tomorrow. Oh well, life could be a lot worse.

Like most who've posted I was a fan through the 80's but lost track of his more recent work.

He played a small venue on the Expo grounds when Vancouver hosted Expo 86. Me and my friends spent most of our free time at Expo while it was on; Expo was where all the action was. I remember hanging around waiting for my buddies to show up for an evening of adventure the night JJ was playing. I was outside the theatre he was playing and the sound was absolutely perfect from where I was so I just sat on the outside steps and listened to the entire concert. It was as far as I could tell, flawless.

richiek65 likes this.
  7. DonM

DonM Tele-Meister

I liked his early stuff. I really liked Is She Really Going Out With Him; kind of Elvis Costello-ish. Then he went off on the swing and jazz thing and lost me.

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Holic

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    In 1980 I lived in London and played in a football team with a guy who was the spitting image of Joe Jackson, when we went out on a night we would claim to be members of his band.

richiek65 likes this.
  9. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
  10. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Joe Jackson is great. I knew his guitarist, through a mutual good friend in Staten Island NY. Vinnie Zummo is a monster player. Kills it on the Steinberger.

studio likes this.
  11. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I rate him with the best songwriters around. A HUGE talent. I have pretty much all his albums. Lots of love coming from me, since the late 70s.

Last year at a gig I got to sing "Is She Really . . ." Proud moment.

richiek65 and RevMike like this.
  12. Excellent.

We had just seen Joe play the House of Blues in New Orleans and the enjoyment of the concert was just beginning to soak in and then POW the storm hit us and our minds were completely someplace else. My girlfriend, and a couple guests of ours have Zero recollection of the concert (just know they were there) and I don't have to wonder why.

Heavily keys based concert. Yes, I guess I do admit to liking the guitar based stuff more. I remember thinking, when he and Elvis Costello and Graham Parker and Nick Lowe came along, just how desperately the Music Scene needed them. I mean, in 1969 it seemed like there were 100,000 bands and by 1978 I felt like I was listening to Tom Petty and Todd Rundgren and The Isleys and Orbison and Gabriel and Roxy Music and that was about it.

younkint likes this.
  13. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    The current band with Teddy Kumpel is pretty damn good.

14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    All good choices though!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Jumbotronic

Jumbotronic Tele-Meister

Aug 1, 2016
    New York
    Joe Jackson is awesome. One of the things I like about him is that he always works with fantastic, tight bands.

younkint and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  16. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

I love the Night and Day album. 'Real Men' and 'Slow Song' are beautiful.

hemingway and Agitator like this.
  17. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Yes Sir! Great guitars & bass on first albums, great piano ballads, great jazz revenue later, great vocal lines, best lyrics images...! And of course, great vocalist with surprising effects and vocal expressions. Used to play a lot of his songs during '80's with my band, bringing him to knowledge in my country. (As well as The Police, The Stranglers, The B-52's and our original songs...) Still love his songs.

18. elihu

elihu Friend of Leo's

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I'm a fan.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    I loved the jazz/swing part of Joe much better than his pop stuff. I listened to this album over and over. A great nod to Louis Jordon. IMG_1185.JPG

Jim622, DonM, younkint and 1 other person like this.
  20. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    Went to one of his 25th anniversary reunion tour shows as well. It was a great show! I also grabbed the CD. There was talk about a DVD at one time. I checked the site regularly for a couple of years and gave up. I was really hoping one of the reunion shows ended up as a DVD.

21. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    Count me in. Anthrax covered Got the Time. My favorite is Breaking us in two.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.