Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any love for GFS pups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Strato50, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    Not cheesy at all. As someone that has worked in the graphics industry as a photo retoucher for over 25 years I'm here to tell you that is way more common than you would think. If you think pictures in 99.999% of ads aren't photoshoped I have an orange bridge in San Francisco I think you might be interested in buying.

3-Chord-Genius and emisilly like this.

2. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    Photoshopping a brass base plate to look like nickel silver, rather than photograph the actual nickel silver product, is cheesy.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Did you go with the ceramic or alnico versions of these? I want to order a set to put in an Epi Junior. Thanks.

4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I got the chrome alnico 5 versions...I have them in a partscaster.

5. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks, I'll order the same.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Oh my heck, a guitar equipment manufacturer using Photoshop to enhance their images?? AAAAAHHHHH!!! How dare anybody use Photoshop for its intended purpose!

emisilly likes this.

7. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    I had some of the '64 Greybottoms in a strat that I sold years ago. I really liked them in that guitar.

The Professional Series Alnico II humbuckers are phenomenal. They are some of my favorite PAF types. The first time I tried a set of them I bought another set right way to put in another guitar.

Btw the humbuckers are the regular wound. I've never tried the hots.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Staypuft1652 and Strato50 like this.

8. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    We all can’t say that they are amazing pickups or GFS will raise the prices on them!! Can’t help it though they are AMAZING pickups!

3-Chord-Genius and Staypuft1652 like this.

9. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

NYII's in my Pro Jet and Mean 90's in my Ibanez AS83. Love them both.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

10. Mike Stone

Mike Stone TDPRI Member

May 26, 2016
    Gothenburg
    I've got the Earl Slick (made by GFS) Bakersfield tele neck PU. It's really, really good. Should cost way more.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    NYII's in a Pro Jet are the shiznit. I ended up putting HS Filtertrons in mine later, but I kind of miss the NYII's and I am considering getting a second Pro Jet to put those pickups in.

6stringcowboy likes this.

12. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

You should do that, they're cheap used and way under rated!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

13. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Thanks for the review. GFS pro alnico 2 is on my list....

14. exactopposite

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    I really dig those pickups. I have them in a Hamer guitar (like a double cut les paul). It has been my go to humbucker guitar ever since I put those pickups in it. They are articulate and harmonics jump off the fretboard. They are really lively sounding pickups in both the guitars I have used them in. The other guitar I had them in is a 2001 PRS Santana SE which now has Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFs in it. The Dimarzios and the GFS are both very lively and harmonically rich. I have a hard time picking one set over the other. They are actually pretty similar. The 2 sets do someting a ittle be different n the mids but I' not sure how to describe it. The harmonics of the GFS have more of an AAWWWW sound lower on the neck where the Dimarzios have the more normal EEEEE sound.

If you are playing the blues (which is pretty much all I play) the GFS would be my first choice for a solid body humbucker guitar. I have never tried the in my semi-hollow. I have Tonerider Alnico II Classics in that guitar, but I never tried those in my other guitars. So I can't give them a fair comparison. It's not worth the effort required to swap pickups in a semi hollow just to try it out.

Bruxist and Staypuft1652 like this.

15. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Sounds perfect.

16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    ^^^This!

17. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2014
    west coast
    If any pickup sounds good "for the price", then it just sounds good, period. Tone doesn't know price.

Grux, emisilly, Gibson and 2 others like this.

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    The 64 grey bottoms beat out several boutique pups in my gigging strat...only ones I prefer right now are Bare Knuckle Apache's...that's saying something.

19. exactopposite

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    I loved them in an MIM strat with a maple fretboard. I didn't like them as much in a Squier strat with rosewood. Esentially I thought they were a good fit with a a gutir that was really snappy, but the Squier was a bit more mellow already and those pickups seemed too much in that direction on that guitar.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

20. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I never understood the "good for the price" thing; I've been playing since 1986 and have gone through countless DiMarzios and Duncans and lately started using GFS almost exclusively. I see no difference in build quality or tone. They're low-cost not because they're of lesser quality, but because there's no middle man between Guitar Fetish and the consumer.

Strato50, Gibson and Staypuft1652 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.