Any lefties out there that play guitar right handed.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 23, 2019.

1. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Both myself and my dad are lefty guitarists. He taught me to play and told me life would be easier and guitars plentiful right handed. So far he’s been right lol

2. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I don’t consider that strange I am basically the same. The batting thing I think is because everyone else walked up to that side so I did also.

On guitar you need both hands so I don’t think it is a really big deal. Other left handed people think playing left handed is easier. To each their own.

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My southpaw drummer plays drums left-handed but plays guitar and bass right-handed.

4. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Here, main reason was both hands are used anyway. I don't think it was even considered back then.
    Left handed guitars were almost non existant unless special ordered from one of the few companies
    that would make. I have played left handed guitars though over the years. It was intriguing and fun.

5. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I’m a lefty who plays righty. It has its advantages and disadvantages. On the one hand I can bar three strings with my left hand pinky and find it easy to use all four fingers. On the other hand I can’t fingerpick much or play very fast with my right hand. But around 50 years ago my guitar teacher suggested I play righty...either way felt equally uncomfortable to me at first...so I’m not going to change now!

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Im in, also throw left, bat right. Golf right, putt left...

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cool...I didn't know this.
    Also...check out an old bandmate of mine...a guy named Sean Mencher, who is a killer player.
    My 7-year-old son is a lefty and I think he'd have more fun buying guitars if he played righty, but he's naturally held it lefty from the time he first touched one at about 2 years old.

8. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Me.

9. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Me too. I am, for any number of reasons, glad I learned to play right handed and personally I wouldn't encourage anyone to learn to play a left handed guitar unless they strongly thought it felt more natural.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I'm a lefty that plays righty.

Funny thing. When my parents got me guitar lessons in junior high, I told my instructor that I was left-handed. My instructor told me that it would be much easier for me if I learned to play right-handed.

He was right! How did he know?

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

This is weird. I write left, but I play guitar and use scissors right-handed.

12. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Same as OP.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm in!

14. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

Whatizitman is right…or I guess I should say “correct” here to avoid confusion. :twisted: Our numbers are legion.

I am yet another southpaw playing righty. In my case, I didn’t know no better. Growing up in the ‘50s and ‘60s, it was most definitely a right-handed world. Desks, writing tablets, most everything was right-handed. My Dad played guitar, so I’ve never known a house without a guitar. And he was right-handed.

So when I wanted to play guitar, I just assumed that since it is a right-handed world, learning to play that way was the price of admission. It didn’t even occur to me to flip it over or re-string it. (I had yet to see Jimi play. And I agree with @RodeoTex , I thought it looked weird when I first saw him playing that Strat upside down. I'd already been playing for like a year by then.)

It’s strange the things I do righty and the things I do lefty. On balance, I think most things I do lefty. I catch right and throw left, but I can switch hit, or used to. It’s been 8 or so years since I’ve tried. I write left-handed; my penmanship right-handed looks like hieroglyphics written by a drunk, spastic ancient Egyptian. :eek::oops:

My keyboard/mouse layout of my desktop is righty, as in the mouse is on the right. But that’s just because for the first several years of having a computer (starting around 1998), my wife and I shared a computer, so I adapted for her sake. Now it’s just habit.

I can count on one hand (left?) the number of times I’ve ever been in a fist fight, but being a southpaw was an advantage, the element of surprise. One guy that challenged me back in 7th or 8th grade was taken aback when that left hook came at him.

I shoot left-handed, but with guns oriented for right-handed. That’s part of why I prefer revolvers to semi-automatic pistols. Both the safety mechanism and the ejection of the spent casing are wrong for me with a right-handed SA pistol. Of course, there are ambidextrous guns, but I grew up with revolvers and that’s just my preference.

But I digress. Since I learned on Dad’s guitars, I’ve always played righty, and I’m glad. I’ve never had issues buying guitars or borrowing one. And I like having my left hand on the fretboard.

15. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Right here. I'm a lefty. I write, eat, brush my teeth, etc. left-handed, but I play guitar right handed. I tried playing as a lefty when I was a teenager, but it just didn't feel right for some reason.

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Strangely, I still play air guitar left-handed...

17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Present!

I'm solidly, unapologetically left-handed, but many people forget that that doesn't mean your other hand got cut off.

I do most things left handed. One of the few examples is using a computer mouse. When my mom taught me to use a computer for the first time, she insisted I learn to use the mouse with my right hand, since that's the default for virtually any computer you'll ever encounter. These days my right hand can work the mouse perfectly, and my left is useless for that.

The other, of course, is guitar. When i walked into my first guitar class in 9th grade I asked the teacher if she had any "lefty"-strung guitars. She said she had a couple, and I could use them if I wanted, but she asked I try playing "righty" first, for a similar reason to the computer mouse; "right-handed" guitars are the default, easier to find, greater variety etc.

So I tried, and it stuck. You may notice that, when it comes to guitar, I obnoxiously used quotation marks when describing the handedness of a guitar. That's because, while your handedness is not irrelevant, I don't see guitars as having an inherent handedness, just an orientation. That's because, unless you only play open strings, or you only use fret-hand legato, you're going to, necessarily, use both hands. And both will require knowledge, strength, dexterity etc. You'll gravitate toward one orientation or another, but guitar is a two-handed activity regardless. You can be lefty or righty, and you can be a lefty picker or a righty picker, but there's no such thing as a righty or lefty guitarist.

18. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan TDPRI Member

I'm a lefty playing righty.
    Danny Gatton also a lefty playing righty.
    That's the only thing we have in common...

19. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Another lefty here playing right handed.

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Same here.

I never understood why the neck-to-the-left layout is considered right-handed since it seems like working the frets requires more dexterity. (Or maybe I'm missing out on something and need to try it out the other way.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.