Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Any info on this Alvarez tele style?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kazer, May 12, 2016.

1. Kazer

Kazer Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2015
    Scranton Pa

2. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    It appears to be leaning against a wall or something.

Sorry, that's all I got. :oops:
    Shango66 and fuffydingo like this.

3. clintonb

clintonb TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I have one that I bought used about 10 years ago. It is the Alvarez AE10BK. Based on what I've read on the internet it was made in the early '90s. I think it has an alder body and maple neck.

I find the guitar very comfortable to play. I like the telecaster-style body with the strat-like belly and forearm cuts.

I'm not crazy about the pickups. I find the bridge pickup to be a bit piercing, so I usually have to roll the tone down a bit. The neck pickup is quite a bit quieter and is much darker. The neck pickup sounds nice for jazzy tones, but I have to turn my amp up and adjust the tone a bit. My favorite sound is a mixture of the neck and bridge pickups.

I'm not all that familiar with telecasters (I mainly play Gibson SGs), but it seems like piercing bridge pickups and muddy neck pickups are common complaints about telecasters. But when I took the guitar to a local music store and compared to some Fender Telecasters, it seemed like the Fender bridge pickups were twangier and not as piercing. The Fender neck pickups weren't as muddy as the Alvarez.

I originally bought the guitar because I wanted a 25.5" scale guitar for playing rhythm since chords seem to sound more in-tune than on my Gibsons. Strat-type guitars feel very awkward to me, so I went for a Tele-style guitar instead. The contour cuts make it even more comfortable. And it only cost me $79.

I'm thinking about changing the pickups to a bridge pickup that is less piercing and a neck pickup that is louder and not so muddy. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

4. clintonb

clintonb TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2009
    The other day I lowered the height of my bridge pickup to balance out the volume with the neck pickup. It is also less piercing. But now my middle position seems a little bassier than I'd like.

However, the bridge pickup still isn't all that twangy. My Ibanez Talman strat-like guitar twangs more. I think the Alvarez must have some kind of hot pickup.

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Get keystones by wilde pickups. 80 bucks shipped. Made in america. Pure tele bliss. Super clear almost strat like neck and very clear twangy bridge and a glorious in between sound. Normally it's a 6 - 8 week wait, but they are all caught up so it's a good time to order some and if you don't like em, they will sell instantly for what you paid.

6. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2014
    Windsor ON Canada
    I have had the exact same guitar for years. I had the same thoughts at first about changing out the pickups. As time went by, I made adjustments, and that guitar is a player, as is.

I have several high end Tele guitars, and the Alvarez can at times, be more Tele sounding than the real Fender Teles.

I like Alvarez and K Yairi acoustics; that is why I initially bought the Alvarez Tele. I also love the Strat body cuts and contours.

I have way too many guitars and traded the very playable, Alvarez Tele guitar to acquire a desirable, player grade 1967 Fender Bronco that needed serious TLC, but was almost all there. I was surprised to find my old Alvarez Tele available for sale at a good price recently, and bought it back. Since then I have acquired another high end Tele and feel the need to let some guitars go.

7. JonnyToledo

JonnyToledo NEW MEMBER!

Nov 26, 2016
    Wondering if anyone would be willing to part ways with any of their Alvarez ae10bk guitars? I've had mine since 1999 as my first electric guitar. I'd love to have another one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.