Any good pop in trems/blocks?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RPercival, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:59 AM.

1. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

Recently acquired a CS 60 Relic Strat and I'm really digging it. My only complaint is the trem arm. It's a screw in and at an angle so when it swings back it hits the cable. I have a couple guitars with Wilkinson trems that have the pop in arm and I love them because they're 90 degrees to the body so not only do they clear the cable but they're lower when used. I know the Wilkinson trems would be a downgrade for the most part, so I'm looking for either a high end trem or replacement block with at least a 90 degree arm and preferably pop-in. Any advise? I've looked around a bit and haven't seen much.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I think Callaham still do an aftermarket brass or steel block with a pop in trem arm. The arms are available in different lengths/bends too. Pricey though. That's one of the things I don't like about my vintage style strats. The screw in arms. I looked into changing mine out a few years ago for a Callaham but cheaped out and went with a gfs brass block instead which is still threaded..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 6:57 AM
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Callaham's is what they call a "virtual pop-in". There's a very small thread at the bottom of the arm just for keeping it in the block; aside from that the arm fits very nicely in the block (and their virtual pop-in arm has to be used with their blocks).

I got a Callaham block for my American Deluxe Strat, and it was a definite tonal improvement. The Strat wasn't bad before and I could go back to how it was, but I do hear a change that I like. The arm I ordered at the same time fit perfectly. Really easy to pop in and out, and when in it would stay where I left it. I did have to open up the angle coming out of the block a bit, because I have my bridge set to float and it would get a little too close to the controls and strings.

I eventually ordered a custom arm from them (I wanted a longer one, bent in a different spot; they were very helpful about it) to fit in the same block. This one fits slightly more loosely (that or I did something to the inside of the block with the previous arm). The tiniest amount of blue Loctite fixed that right up, and I can still remove the arm for when the guitar has to go in a case. I had to open up the angle coming out of the block a little on this one, too. I think they just make them for a 90-degree angle on a decked bridge. An easy tweak, in any case.

Now that I think of it, an American Deluxe arm/block might do you. Those are pop-in, with a couple of allen screws along the arm hole to adjust the tension. American Deluxe bridges are a little different from standard, though, so not sure if that would necessitate a whole new bridge assembly for you.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

Callaham is all their virtual pop in arm which is at an angle so I’d have the same issues. I really hate to say it, but I might just plop a Wilkinson in it and call it good. I don’t have any complaints on my other guitars and it’s reversible.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Gotoh made Wilkinson are as good anything

macatt likes this.
  6. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch TDPRI Member

I have a Super Vee in one of my MIM Strats. It's a threaded arm but fits snug and doesn't swing around banging into my cable. Very usable and stable.

7. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

I’m looking for one that does swing. I like it to GTFO when I let go and can flip it up when needed.

8. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

I’m guessing that’s different than the $40 ones from GuitarFetish?

9. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Yes.
    The cheap licenced Wilkinsons have a set screw that strips out and the arm gets sloppy.
    Wilkinson made by Gotoh are top grade. They are my favorite trems and I use them on all my Strats.

S Mac

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Whatever one you get, make sure all the measurements are correct(USA spec, Asian spec, European spec).
    Make sure the arm hole has the little trem arm spring and ball in it, that keeps the slop and wiggle to a minimum.

11. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

I have had a Wilkinson for about 6 years now without any problems.

12. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

I think I’m going on 7 and no issues. I don’t gig so my guitars don’t see much abuse, but that would be true with all my guitars.

13. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

I looked into the Gotoh made ones, but they don’t have vintage saddles, which I want to keep for the vintage look. Probably going to throw and El Cheapo in it because it’s just what I like.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find the spring that fell out of your trem (hardware store may have one that fits if you can't find it), first time I lost one I found it on the carpet the next day and kept wondering where did this thing fall out of?

The other fix is teflon tape you'll find in the plumbing section to wrap around the trem threads a bunch of times and then screw the arm in, it will move smoothly and stay in position.

15. RPercival

RPercival TDPRI Member

That’s not at all my problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.