Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Any good chorus pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stringcb6, Feb 16, 2010.

1. stringcb6

stringcb6 TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Oxford, Al
    I'm looking to purchase a chorus pedal pretty soon. I'm playing a deluxe ash tele into an ac30.

Any ideas?
  2. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    I like the look of the new GFS (Biyang) one.
    Priced right as well for $52 plus shipping
  3. Kinda depends on what you want it for. I have two on my board - an Analogman Mini Chorus (the best chorus out there IMHO) and a BBE Mind Bender for the rotary/leslie/spinning sounds.

Johnny Isaacs
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. don jon

don jon Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2009
    Try CMAT Mods' Water Box analog stereo chorus. Chad hand builds these (all analog / true bypass) and they are just as good if not better than other overpriced analog choruses by the big name boutique guys. He has a simpler version called simply the Analog Chorus that offers the same chorus tones without the intensity, wet bass, and vibe toggles. I tried them both and prefer the Waterbox because of the Wet Bass toggle. If you play through a "Bright" channel and the chorus adds too much top end shimmer the wet bass feature really evens out the tonal response and adds some round lushness to your signal. I keep the wet bass engaged all the time. And I also like flipping the intensity toggle on turning down the depth and keeping the rate past noon for a sweet doubling wet echo effect.

Here's the link to Chad's site and he's on E-Bay:

P.S. the sound clips are nice also
  6. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    BOSS CE-2B

I'd say look for one of these,one cap change and its identical to a CE-2 for 1/4 the price.
    I did the keeley CE-2 high-fi mod to mine and it is a beautiful sounding analog BBD chorus. Its a ce-2[one cap difference] with an additional wet/dry mix knob,so actually its better than a ce-2!

Attached Files:

• ce2b.jpg
      File size:
      55.8 KB
  7. Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    I like the MXR Stereo Chorus.

Bought that because I started to get paranoid about my old Boss CE-1 leaving the house. If you can ever find a CE-1 -- that's the standard to beat!
  8. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2009
    Lot's of good Chorus pedals out there. What budget are you working with?

I've owned a bunch of chorus pedals: Danelectro DC-1 Cool Cat, ModTone Aqua Chorus, Boss CE-5, Boss CH-1, Electro-Harmonix Small Clone, MXR Stereo Chorus, Guyatone MC-3 Micro Chorus, HardWire CR-7 Stereo Chorus, BBE Mind Bender, Digitech CF7 Chorus Factory, Ibanez CS-9 reissue, Electro-Harmonix The Clone Theory, and the Visual Sound H2O.

All are good and have their plus/cons, but out of all of them my personal favorite so far has been the Visual Sound H2O. Beautifully lush and versatile. Surprisingly quiet for an analog pedal too.

It's a dual Chorus and Echo pedal. You can use either one or both effects together, but it's also available in a single pedal version (without the Echo) called the Liquid Chorus.

9. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i use a boss ch-1. but a few weeks ago i bought one of those beta aivin pedals, a flanger fl100 and its surprisingly versatile IMO. i can get phaser, chorus, auto wah and of course flanger sounds with a few tweaks of the knobs. a friend was selling me an mxr phase 90 and i'm not sure on buying it since i can get all the phaser sounds with the flanger. it even sounds closer to the boss hi-band flanger rather than the regular boss flanger. i giged with it with an sd-1 and a delay and i had lots of sounds for the night. these beta aivins are cheap ($30) and solid metal and sound good. they are sold under the brands Boston engineering, GLX, Harley Benton etc. ( no affiliation, i just like the pedal)
  10. diveblueflames

diveblueflames Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'd go for the visual sound too, can be had for 80, INCLUDING a kick-ass delay...
  11. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2008
    Dayton (NYC Refugee)
    I use an old Ibanez super stereo chorus from the 80s. In the old days (my old days) I ran it in true stereo to two amps, my old Ampeg Gemini iv and a Peavey solid state. Incredible sound.
  12. stringcb6

stringcb6 TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Oxford, Al
    Thanks for the input guys!

Budget really isn't a problem. I'm not really looking for a specific sound. I just started playing with some guys and just wanted to start experimenting with some sounds.

true bypass is always a plus though
  13. mlweidl

mlweidl Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2009
    santa barbara
    the h20 is the best sounding chorus pedal iver heard. only with the lush switch. The smaller single pedal version does not have it
  14. mannyg

mannyg Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2009
    Anaheim Hills
    I tried the H20 and thought it sounded really cheesy. I bought a Boss and love it.
  15. stringcb6

stringcb6 TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Oxford, Al
    which boss chorus do you have?
  16. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

Dec 4, 2008
    Enfield London England
    I mainly use a Boss CE-5, but I wont part with my old CE-2.
  17. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I like my Electroharmonix Stereo Electric Mistress. But I think it's a little bit of an acquired taste! LOL.

It's got a phaser and a chorus in one pedal. You can get some wacky stuff coming out of it.... but it does do a nice chorus. It's a little bit more expensive than several pedals already mentioned.

The EH small stone gets good reviews too. Of course the classic 80's Chorus we all remember probably came from a Boss pedal. LOL
  18. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Banned

Feb 6, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    +1. I, too,find that it takes some experimenting...the knobs have such a wide range, from barely on to crazy, swirly, Big Lebowsky madness that it can be hard to find something, uh, normal. But it's in there.
  19. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    I took a test drive the other day with the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb ... best I've ever heard. but it's expensive
  20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I still use an old Boss CE-2 that I bought new in the '80s. Simple to use, sounds great. I don't know what they get for them these days - probably stupidly overpriced like all vintage effects.
  21. JMercer

JMercer TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Deltalab Stereo Chorus

For the 40 bucks it cost, and the sound it can achive, its unreal!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.