Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Any fans of umm... Starbucks Coffee?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Why are people okay with Big Mac and Quarter Pounder, but somehow have trouble with Tall, Grande, and Venti?

Do you go to McDonald's and ask for a large cheeseburger?

All kinds of food chains use their own naming systems for regular products, but for some reason people became really stubborn when it came to coffee. "I'll buy their coffee, but I'm not using their stupid labels."

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When all the "Seattle" coffee craze hit there was a light roast ( I love light roast coffee because it is far less acidic, bitter and is FAR smoother than dark roast, oh and it has MUCH more caffiene than dark roasted beans) called Seattle's Best Light Roast. I dont know what it is about this stuff, but, it is BY FAR the best coffee I have ever tasted.

I keep looking for it at Simon& David but they never have that flavor....

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    For a long time, I refused to get coffee at Tim's because they didn't allow customers to add their own sugar. "How many sugars do you want?" It's like there was some kind of shortage, and they were rationing the supply.
    Now, they have the sugar packets on the counter. I don't really like their coffee, but my wife likes their soup, so maybe once or twice a year we'll have lunch there.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I prefer good coffee...

Therefore, no Starbucks...

I agree with the OP that "good" does not have to equal "expensive", and you can get a good tasting cup of coffee out of even lesser beans.

The key is the preparation...

Aeropress + freshly ground makes even store brand Breakfast Blend whole beans into a decent cup, and turns good beans into an AMAZING cup.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

For folks who say Starbucks is too dark, they also have a "medium roast". And because that was still too dark for some they more recently introduced a "blonde roast".

Okay, TDPRI, who among you is manly enough to order a blonde latte?

7. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I remember our first trip to Toronto... we were looking for a coffee shop and figured we would have to result to a Starbucks. When we asked concierge where one was located, she said "give Tim Hortons a try... just down the block. We were told so many times before about Tim Hortons so we decided to give it a try to see what the hype was about. NOT impressed with the one and only time we tried it. I felt like I was drinking some powdered International Delight in a Hortons cup. blech!!! I did dig those ketchup Layes though! =)

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    49th Parallel...too many uppity types & the prices are unacceptable...not to big on Timmy's

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    It isn't that Starbucks is "too dark"... it is that they don't know how to do a proper dark roast and it is burnt. If you want all the flavor and aroma of a great DARK roast without the astringent bitterness and aftertaste... try Death Wish dark roast and you'll never drink Starbucks or light roast again.they know how to do a perfect dark roast.

10. BigDaddyLH

I'll try it. I'm not sure we have a Death Wish ;)

brobar likes this.

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Calling Starbucks the 'McDonalds' of coffee is a little, or actually very far off the mark. Starbucks makes a quality cup of coffee (though it may be too dark a roast for some) out of a decent quality bean. Can you buy better beans? Yes. But their bar isn't set low; in fact it is as high or higher than all of its direct competitors.

On the other hand, calling what McDonald's sells a 'hamburger' is being generous. Their food is incredibly subpar. Could you make better at home? Absolutely and with little effort. Notice this: "Our ground beef is 100% real ground beef." What they don't say is "Our hamburger patties are 100% real ground beef." If you can't tell the difference between those two statements, then...nothing I can say will help.

You may or may not like Starbucks or the 'snobbery' of fancy coffee shops, but they aren't the McDonalds of coffee.

12. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

May 9, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I'm not too picky, Starbucks coffee may not be my favorite but it's fine by me. But to my fellow Texan coffee drinkers - y'all tried Independence coffee yet? They sell it at the HEB, it's roasted out in Brenham. Best stuff I've found so far. The Texas Donut House and the Jet Fuel ones are my favorite, with their Pecan being a close third. Most flavored coffees taste terrible to me but that one doesn't have that weird fake aftertaste most do.

Starbucks gets a bad rap I think because of how ubiquitous their stores are, anything that popular can expect backlash. Their black coffee can be a little harsh but it's nowhere near as bad as people like to say.

4pickupguy likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

Next time: all dressed chips ;)

I once worked in an office that had Tim Hortons breaks -- they were on the ground floor. And yes, everyone else in the office was a fan. I took to ordering hot chocolate. Once the hot choco machine was either jammed or running low and I was served hot brown water :eek: You'd think they'd notice.

brobar likes this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Aside: anyone else drinkin coffee *right now*? I'm at home and on my second double espresso. I have to stop after this one or risk jitters.

15. BigDaddyLH

As long as we're giving shout outs, this one is brewed across the lake for me. ¡Me gusto mucho!

[​IMG]

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Nice logo, amigo

17. BigDaddyLH

Sometimes a ceegar, she is just a ceegar, señor.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I think I've only been to Starbucks one time, both of my younger kids like Starbucks, and I went with young son there once a few years ago, just to check it out. I'm quite sure at least from my tasting of the coffee they brought me, something fairly expensive since my son ordered for us Mr. Internationally Recognized Expert in spot on. I think it must be the "atmosphere" rather than the coffee that pulls in the customers. Still as always I enjoyed the time spent with my son so all in all it was okay.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    There is a new Starbucks along the way where I used to walk when the land was undeveloped in that area when I was on my walkathon binge a few years ago. I always feel a little awkward somehow passing by there in the Totomobile when I see folks out on the patio right next to a curve on a four lane street drinking coffee waiting for an out of control vehicle to mow them down.

20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Can't stand Starbucks.

I prefer my coffee black, and I have to agree with what everyone else is saying about how over-roasted the beans are. Maybe it's not as noticeable with a bit of milk and sugar, or whipped cream and chocolate, or whatever.

The best coffee I ever had was at some Italian coffee place in Pittsburgh off the strip; they had maybe 5-10 coffee options on the menu and none of them had sprinkles or syrup. I had an "Americano" and it forever changed my expectations of what coffee should be! Wish I could find a place like that near me.

I usually like a good, coffee-flavored medium roast. Nothing in particular.

21. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    One opened near me a couple years ago on a very busy corner, especially vulnerable to left turn traffic from a major highway to the local beach. In fact most SB around here are on corners with the patio very exposed to traffic, with no fencing or bollards. Perhaps a secret plot to rid the World of over-caffeinated hipsters? Maybe that's why they write names on the cups, in case the bodies don't have ID on them?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.