Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of umm... Starbucks Coffee?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Aug 13, 2017.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I look at Starbucks the way I look at McDonalds - if I'm traveling and I'm really hard up for something, I'll drink it. But we have a local one a few blocks from where I live and I've only gone there as a convenient place to meet up with folks a few times. I'm a bit of an espresso snob, spent about 20 years in the Seattle area (from the mid-70's when Starbucks wasn't a big deal yet through the mid-90s when it was), and am impressed with what they've done but will drink nearly anything else given the choice. They definitely over-roast for the most part. There's a reason that coffee snobs sometimes adorn their bumpers with "Friends don't let Friends drink Char-bucks" stickers...

Hey, we're all snobs about SOMETHING - guitars, watches, cameras, bikes, whatever. For me it's coffee... I can't afford to be a snob about expensive stuff...

-Ray

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Community coffee with chicory in a stovetop percolator when I am home. I have drank so darn much cafe coffee that I am immune to most of the taste differences.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    The times I have been in Starbucks, I am the only customer buying regular coffee. Everyone buys the fancy stuff. I got turned on to their "Americano" and only buy that now. A much better alternative to their coffee.

rcole_sooner likes this.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Also my comments about starbucks are based on the fact that I only ever drink it black--no milk, no sugar, not flavorings. And I agree that lightly roasted coffee can often have a sour taste.

I'm on the spectrum--hoppy IPAs, dark dark high cacao chocolate, black dark coffee

5. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Meister

I am a fan of starbucks even though I do not drink coffee. When you drink starbucks you know what you are getting, it will be the same no matter where you get your coffee. My late wife was a coffee snob, once in a while she would get a "whatever type of coffee" from a local place, and some times it would be good and other times it would be not good.

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    A regular coffee at Starbucks is not much more expensive than a regular coffee at 7-11 or McDonald's, and it's less expensive than we pay at cheap restaurants around here. A cup of coffee at a family restaurant here is usually around $3.25 now, but a Grande Starbucks is still under $3.

There is no shortage of options for coffee shops here in the Vancouver area, so I only go to Starbucks if I really need a coffee and am in a part of town where there's only Starbucks.

rcole_sooner likes this.

7. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Our trip to Australia was a shocker when it came to coffee. The only place we could get a cup of regular drip coffee was in Starbucks, and the only Starbucks we found was in downtown Brisbane.
    I don't like black coffee, so I was forced to drink Long Flat Whites for two weeks. It's basically a latte with less foam, and all of that milk gets sickening after a while.
    The other sad thing about Aussie coffee culture is that restaurants don't give refills on the coffee. Very disappointing.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina
    This is my feeling too; much prefer the Italian Lavazza that we buy at the grocery store and brew in a very ordinary filter drip at home.

9. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I drink Starbucks without complaint. It seems that many of the local boutique medium roasts I'm supposed to love are fairly bright and tannic. I also frequently get a big earthy potato note, which I don't especially enjoy. Maybe I'm just a Philistine.

rcole_sooner and telemnemonics like this.

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I'm a fan because;
    -they're everywhere, (easy to find when I need a fix)
    -they have some great locations
    -the brew is consistent
    -I generally, like their staff

I'm not a fan of;
    -their increaing prices & downsizing
    -theoretically, I'd rather support independent shops, but in expensive
    Vancouver, they're harder to find & often charge more...

I prefer 7-Eleven...customize your own coffee

rcole_sooner likes this.

11. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Whereabouts in Vancouver do you live, Frank?

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Kits

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    That 'goofy jargon' is part of what they used in the early days so frequent customers felt they were part of a secret club. "I will talk in this funny made up language only if you promise to take my five bucks!". (there are stars on the $5 note so you can pay for Starbucks with Star Bucks).

If I'm forced to go to SBs, I just order a "medium regular coffee", they will sell it to you.

I have three independent coffee shops in my small town in addition to SB. One was used for a scene in "Scream 4", only notable because I'm a dozen states away from the regular movie town. I've worked out of all three coffee shops (writing and publishing books).

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The waitresses don't call you "hun" either :mad:

fendertx and kelnet like this.

15. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yeah, there's some good, but expensive coffee down there. 49th Parallel has great coffee.

And hey, there's always Tim's.

16. BigDaddyLH

The sizes are not tricky:

12oz - tall
    16oz - grande
    20oz - venti

Venti is Italian for twenty. Oddly, the Iced Venti cup is 24oz. I like to throw them for a loop and use Italian for the first two:

12 - dodici
    16 - sedici

:D

17. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    We did get "Dearie" a few times.

18. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

19. BigDaddyLH

Don't get me started on Timmy's! Mebbe if you order a double-double and your cup is less than 50% coffee, but as a plain black coffee drinker, TH is undrinkable. The real mystery is how they can sell their doughnuts and the rest of the food, which is gawd awful.

I was just in Vancouver during the Pride Parade. Had a nitrous cold brew at SB. Even if it's a gimmick, as a Guinness drinker it was interesting.

kelnet likes this.

20. BigDaddyLH

That'll do :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.