Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of umm... Starbucks Coffee?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I like Starbucks coffee, but I almost never go there. Their service is uniformly terrible and I won't put up with it.

rcole_sooner likes this.

2. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Meh... Starbucks is alright in a pinch, but if I'm having coffee out I prefer to support local mom & pop shops like Red Frog coffee not far from here. Better coffee at a reasonable price.

If I'm making it at home I go with Death Wish coffee. Since I tend to nurse my coffees, I prefer one with a little more caffeine content. They know how to do a dark roast right. It has all of that great super dark roast flavor and aroma without any of that burnt bean bitterness and aftertaste you get with Starbucks' dark roast.

ronzhd and Dismalhead like this.

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    In this area, I much prefer Dunkin' Donuts, or even Honey Dew.

BuckNekkid and brookdalebill like this.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    I am in the camp of really, really disliking it. Tastes burnt to me.

BuckNekkid and brookdalebill like this.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Only tasted it once when they had a stand at the pier giving out samples of black SB coffee. It was burnt and bitter. I immediately understood why they normally put a bunch of glop in it to hide it's taste. Have 3 gift cards I've never used. I really should use them just so they don't get off free, but just can't bring myself to enter the place, or learn their goofy jargon for large, medium etc. and don't want my name written on the cup like a kindergärtner.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My wife needs her fru fru mocha latte fix while on trips, so that is about the only time I get Starbucks. I really like their house blends, but don't really care as much for the Pikes, which seems like the only drip available freshly brewed nowadays. That said, I'm a burnt dark roast, black coffee drinker, so it is pretty good, but prefer Peet's by far.

My son-in-law roasts his own blends and he likes a burnt dark roast too, so whenever we visit (90 miles away), we have a coffee nirvana moment together.

telemnemonics likes this.

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    It is my understanding that light roasts have more caffeine than dark roasts. Starbucks makes some nice light roasts too, as do other brands.

8. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I detest the swill they serve there. I'll crawl through a pond of razor blades for fresh Duncan Donuts coffee, 2 sweet n low on the side. I don't ever let anyone fix my coffee. I tell folks who try to add anything for me " don't touch my coffee and everyone goes home safe and healthy tonite"

brookdalebill likes this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Well, I do like their individual instant coffee packets I get in the supermarket for when I travel. Not cheap, but they are yummy. As for going to a Starbucks for a cup of joe, never done that.

Boomhauer likes this.

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    My small town has had a little independent coffee shop downtown for years & years. It's kinda a hippie joint, and they have great espresso + drip coffees, local art on the walls, and also have music (including me on occasion) one or two nights a week. It's really the first coffee shop I frequented & it's still my favorite. It's where I go to meet old friends for coffee.

I've had Starbucks both here and while traveling and never thought their stuff was bold or distinct enough.

tintag27 likes this.

11. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Yeah this. Being from Seattle they are unquestionably the reason that there is now a coffee shop on every corner that is better than them. At that I used to relax there with a milky drink from time to time until their political activism became overt enough to trigger my normally anemic consumer activism. But they are virtually responsible for an industry here. That said I wonder how long it would have taken. A big chunk of the world knew about good coffee before Starbucks came along. But I remember when they were first expanding nationwide and whenever we went to Denver to visit family we would hit the Starbucks in the airport on the way home after the reminder of how "things used to be" coffee-wise in this country.

12. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    "I hate it, but I still go there."

C'mon. You guys aren't nearly cool enough for that hipster crap. Aren't there about sixty current 'I hate Guitar Center' threads you should be haunting?

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Yeah, I don't prefer the flavor of light roasts near as much. I much prefer a properly done dark roast.

rcole_sooner likes this.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know anything about coffee other than I like regular, restaurant coffee more than any of the places that serve the chewy, acidy, over poweringly strong coffee.

If Starbucks is all there is I'll just be glad to have the coffee...

15. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    I almost never, ever buy a cup of coffee. If I had to, and if I hypothetically had a choice of places to go, Starbuck's would be my choice.

That said, I've always found the key to making good, flavorful coffee at home is in the preparation method. Figure out whether you prefer drip, Moka, French press, or whatever, then learn to make it properly.

The learning process requires consuming large amounts of coffee. What's the downside?

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A certain media shibboleth, nice. I thought we were talking coffee.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    This seems to be a widely held opinion about Sbucks coffee, as many in the thread say exactly that.
    I have to wonder how many who find Starbucks dark roast coffee tastes bitter and burnt, prefer other dark roast coffee that does not taste bitter and burnt.
    The whole premise behind dark roast coffee is that it is roasted longer to burn it a bit so it tastes bitter. And burnt is burnt!

If one buys some dark roast and it does not taste bitter and burnt, then it is actually medium or light roast. Since the FDA does not control coffee roasting I'm sure there are brands that sell medium roast as dark roast to satisfy palates that prefer lighter roasts but like the idea of their coffee being "French" or "Italian".

The main reason I like a proper dark roast is that it is not sour!!!
    The sour acidic taste that many cheaper coffees have is a huge turnoff.
    Plenty of cheaper dark roasts have the sour aftertaste as well, and that's pretty much my standard for decent dark roast. If one buys some nice bitter French roast and it's not sour at all, then leaves the ground coffee in a loosely closed bag for a solid week, it will spoil and become sour. Try it sometime, save a bit and leave it uncovered for an example of really lousy dark roast.

Starbucks? Not very consistent quality, but not that bad either.
    When I lived in NYC there were scores of small specialty coffee shops that roasted all day and had burlap sacks of beans lining the walls or counters, so you could check all the roasts when you stopped in, There were usually several French and Italian roasts to choose from, roasted beans from different regions. There was usually something really nice and the customer could scoop what they wanted.

Now that I live in the sticks, Starbucks at the grocery store is not that bad.
    Sadly, the many other presumably fine roasters are not that good IME, maybe because the bags are not very fresh since there are so many brands and not enough customers rotating the stock.

My wife and I get espresso at Starbucks when we venture off the homestead.
    If she gets a triple I get a quad.
    They're usually pretty good, makes us shudder on the first sip.
    What's not to like?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    RLee77, rcole_sooner and maxvintage like this.

18. BigDaddyLH

I agree with @rcole_sooner, if you get a plain coffee, it's not that expensive, and I just drink it black.

I'd put SB in the middle ranking of coffee places. If I can find a real Italian place I'm in heaven, but SB beats Tim Horton any day of the week.

rcole_sooner likes this.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That's nice and the way it should be!

Buying a cup of brewed coffee at Starbucks is almost always a disappointment, and I pretty much never do any more, only espresso shots or whole pounds.
    I've noticed that some Starbucks locations brew strong bold pots while others brew weaker. Dark roast brewed weak is pretty bad, I'll take diner coffee over a weak dark roast brew.

20. BigDaddyLH

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.