Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of umm... Starbucks Coffee?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Ok, brief Sunday rant as I sit here in H-town, knockin back a French pressed, freshly ground cup of joe esspresso.jpg . Was reading through another post and noticed a lot of people say they don't go the cheap route when buying their coffee. There is a difference between "good" and "expensive" with out being mutually exclusive. With all the news about Starbucks, it was the first thing that came to kind, and the crap (no pun intended) they are finding in their coffee, how do you drink that stuff. I have always thought it was bitter tasting and often burnt, not to mention over priced.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Yeah, I'll drink Starbucks if we've got a gift card but I won't pay for it with cash unless I'm desperate. My mother-in-law gives us one at least once a year though, so I probably go there about once a month. But it's not my fave. Like you said, too strong, too bitter. I'll take Pete's over Starbucks any day.

At home I try to make what I call "hotel coffee", like you'd get at breakfast at a nice hotel. Somewhere in between 7-11 coffee and Starbucks. We do a 50:50 blend of high-end beans with Folgers Classic Roast.

Round Bale and rghill like this.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm not sure what his name is, but there is some internationally recognized coffee expert that has been quoted as saying "If you want to make Starbucks coffee at home, just buy mediocre beans then burn them."

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I think Starbucks was revolutionary to the coffee industry - made a good cup of coffee (and introduced the N Am. to a broader array of what coffee is) in very well designed shops available pretty much anywhere in the world displacing the hot dirty water that used to be the standard.

But corporate business being what it is - constantly searching to wring more profit to feed the machine - is making it a victim of its own success... there are now many alternatives where the product is much better.

5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I myself believe Starbucks is overrated, and there's no excuse for not making your own if you love good coffee. I'm a big fan of pour-over, and I also have an Aeropress which I highly recommend. But back to pour-over for a second: you can make quality coffee, and there's nothing snobby about it. Pour-over is one of the simplest, cheapest preparation methods. As long as you have good beans, a grinder (preferably a burr grinder), and some cone filters, one of those ceramic pour-over cones can be one of the best investments you ever made. And they're not expensive.

That said, not all SBUX coffee is alike. Sure, they're known primarily for dark roast, but to be fair they do offer other varieties of coffee, like blonde.

Ripradiant, maxvintage and DaphneBlue like this.

6. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    The first time I went to Starbucks I was 15. They arrived quite late in Switzerland, for example there's none in my city. I thought it was magical (don't ask me why). Then I went back and hated it. The last time I went there I was 19 (forced to go by a friend). It was expensive and their coffee was crap.

I don't like it. I buy standard coffee for my bialetti express and it's so good and cheap :D

blackguts likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Starbucks always tastes over-roasted to me. I like medium-light to medium roast. They seem all-in on dark roast. Hard to say they are wrong - that seems to be America's palate, given the prevalence of their shops.

rz350 and brookdalebill like this.

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I like the dark roast taste in general and have to credit Starbucks for mass improvement in America's coffee culture. The coffee you get virtually anywhere in the US now is way better than the best coffee you could find thirty years ago.

Yeah expensive does not always equal good and yeah starbucks is kind of generic and ubiquitous but in general? They get a lot of credit for improving the whole coffee experience. I mean here we are talking abut dark vs light roasts and back in the day it was a can of supermarket whatever and a percolator

Ripradiant, RLee77, MilwMark and 2 others like this.

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    I love it. I never drank coffee before SB came along. Now we drink it all the time. And, just so you know I prefer SB coffee over the hardcore stuff served at "real coffee houses."

It's a personal preference. If everyone thought SB coffee was crap the stores would be empty and the business closed.

I'm sure you and other coffee faithful find it sub-par or pedestrian and that's OK, but umm... not everyone feels that way is that's OK, too.

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Chock Full 'o Nuts from my drip pot for me. I might go to the neighborhood Starbucks or some other expensive coffee joint if my wifi is down. :cool:

daddyplaysbass likes this.

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    As an addendum to my above post, in case anyone thought I was hating too hard on Starbucks: I agree with others above that it is unquestionable that Starbucks dramatically improved coffee quality in the USA. They raised the bar.

There is no contradiction in not being a fan of Starbucks or not liking their coffee on one hand, and knowing that they are responsible for the mass availability of higher quality coffee.

Ripradiant and richa like this.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I'm thinking that Starbucks probably doesn't taste great if you just get it black like I do. Most people get the fru fru fancy drinks with a bunch of crap in them, which dilutes the heavy bitterness.

jimmytheshoe and Anode100 like this.

13. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    It's a great place to meet sheeple.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Its hyper acidic...
    Its burt to taste like hot water in an ashtray...
    but at least it cost too much!

i have been going through the whole bean offering at my local Simon David. This morning is Maui blend from a french press. Its a great light roast breakfast blend with notes of fruit.
    Not bad...

ronzhd likes this.

15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    That, right there, is part of the brilliance of the Starbucks marketing and sales proposition.

• Step 1: upsell dark roast to Americans who, at the time SBUX became popular, weren't used to darker coffee

• Step 2: upsell pricier, sweeter boutique coffee drinks that take the edge off the bitterness of dark roast

• Step 3: ???

• Step 4: Profit!

16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I will drink Starbucks if it's the only thing available. I think the coffee itself is terrible, and really over priced. But if I need a cup and gas station coffee is the only alternative.... I'll get Starbucks.

daddyplaysbass and brookdalebill like this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'm another naysayer.
    Nay.
    There, I feel better.
    Thanks.

18. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I like Starbucks. This is in my cup this morning. It has been my goto at home for many years. Tried others, always come back to this.

[​IMG]

And I drink coffee black. I think a cup is about $2 at Starbucks, the same as most other places.

[​IMG]

Of course I like McDonald's coffee too. I like quite a wide variety of coffees.

19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Once in a while while traveling I will go into a Starbucks.
    They sell the coffee in the supermarket.
    The Sumatra is my favorite . But I have to wait till no one buys it at $10 and they mark it down to $5.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    telemnemonics likes this.

20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Sometimes when I have a meeting at a clients, I go early and there always seems to be a Starbucks in the buildings. I'll get a regular with Hazelnut. Pricey but OK. I prefer Peet's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.