Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of classic foreign automobiles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rjtwangs, Sep 25, 2017.

1. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I’m a fan of all classic automobiles whatever their origins, but I give the nod to the European ones. Since getting my Jag I’ve learned what a true Gran Turismo (Grand Tourer) is, and Europe has that market pretty much locked up on them (save a very few examples coming from Japan). In the USA most of us think a Grand Tourer is just a pre-existing model automobile with a faster engine, nicer interior, bigger tires, and GT stamped next to the name.

Sorry, for me anyway, there is nothing that compares to a fine European made Gran Turismo.

My Jag is almost 20 years old, but I definitely consider it a classic. Time will tell if it lives up to “classic” levels to the general public.

Here’s my baby by the way.

1998 Jaguar XK8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I’ve since replaced the stereo.

Every nice evening we had this week I put the top down and drove down the A1A (Florida coastline) for just pure enjoyment. There really is nothing more invigorating than driving down the coast with the top down and the stereo blasting.

rjtwangs likes this.

2. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    Which, IMHO, just may be the most beautiful little car in the world! THIS is what I would like to cruise in along the French Riviera. La Basse Corniche and all... :cool:

Fearnot and rjtwangs like this.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    My 77' ran great with hardly any mechanical problems. It was the rust that killed it. When the driver seat starts to bounce along with the bumps, it's time to replace the floor and all the other parts or get rid of it.:(

acstorfer likes this.

4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    The 1967 Toyota 2000 GT

[​IMG]

Guitarteach, kelnet, Zepfan and 3 others like this.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Some really cool vehicles...keep 'em coming! :D

6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia

7. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    This thread needs race cars! Or at least I think it needs race cars....

1953 Cunningham C-4R ----- I know this one is from USA, but it was campaigned in Europe. As someone else said, it's all ''foreign'' somewhere...

DSC_0789.JPG

DSC_0788.JPG

info/history:

DSC_0787.JPG

8. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Apr 23, 2006
    Leafs Nation
    I had a '73 240Z - same problem, the floor and sections of frame completely rusted out. The car was a blast before it fell apart, though.

Frank'n'censed and Zepfan like this.

9. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    E-Types are lovely, but ever since I was a little kid I've preferred its predecessor, the D-Type:

JagDType_1300-700x412.jpg

10. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Now we're talkin'. D-Types and their variants have some classic lines. Here's one of their contemporaries; the '57 Maserati 450S - as driven by Juan Manuel Fangio.

DSC_0785.JPG

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0783.JPG

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Richie digs it!

rjtwangs likes this.

12. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    This 1954 Osca is very cool too. Built by the Maserati brothers and driven by Stirling Moss. And it's in a Telecaster color!

DSC_0786.JPG

rjtwangs and william tele like this.

13. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I used to crew for an SCCA sedan team that ran against a lot of Mini's, 1100s, 1300s, and other "things" with that engine/trans scheme. If you trashed your engine, you automatically trashed your trans, and vice versa.

rjtwangs likes this.

14. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Here's a couple for the bug-eye Sprite fans. One is the side view which, in race trim, makes it look very attractive:

DSC_0238.JPG

Two is the front view, which makes it look like... Well, it shows why ''bug eye'' was an apt descriptive term:

DSC_0194.JPG

15. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The crank was 3 mains, but *steel* IIRC.

16. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

$_35.JPG

I've been contemplating buying this little beauty...I love that the horn goes off if you try to steal the hood ornament....it's old and has unknown mileage but it runs great and it's cheap....1972 Silver Shadow

brookdalebill likes this.

17. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I believe the Lamborghini P400 Miura was the finest design on 4 wheels. From experience I'll tell you it is far lower and somewhat smaller than it appears in this picture.

richiek65 likes this.

18. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I'm a sucker for all the Alfas in that configuration. This is a 2000 GTV. Somehow I ended up having a NOS 1750 GTV sump guard in my garage. No idea how I got it. Gave it away to an appropriate GTV owner. Sump guard, but no car, is the story of my life.

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I used to know a guy with a 1984-ish Ford Ranger 2wd pickup with the Cologne 2.8 V6 in it. He'd lived in Illinois at the time he bought it--new--and at the first opportunity he removed the emissions carburetor and snipped just about every excess vacuum hose and wire he could (Illinois apparently didn't do emissions inspections yet at that time). By the time I knew him, '89 or so, the truck had a Motorcraft 2150 2-barrel off some Ford V8, headers, side-exit dual exhaust and glasspacks. It had almost 200K on the clock and it ran like a top. I remember he had a pool cue ball drilled and fitted with a threaded insert installed as a shift knob, and rowing that thing through its 5 gears and listening to the V6 snarl and crackle through the glasspacks was cool as hell. Cool little motors.

The Ranger's V6 was kind of funny looking because the big ol' adapter plate under the carb and the open-element aftermarket chrome air cleaner dwarfed the narrow spread between those little 60-degree V6 valve covers.

There's a Capri-looking car with some V6 exhaust sound in a movie I saw recently: "Killer Elite," with Jason Statham and Robert DeNiro.

trouserpress and telemnemonics like this.

20. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first car that i admit to owning was a 78 Alfasud.. slow, unreliable, but nothing drives like an Alfa..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.