Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of classic foreign automobiles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rjtwangs, Sep 25, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Just because the Capitalists that own the company, reside elsewhere right now, doesn't mean the end.

Some day Tata will grow tired of owning Jaguar, etc. and some New Wealth UK guy will take it back. Bear in mind that BMW is not doing so well right now and they may have to disgorge themselves of their British origin marques as well. Rolls Royce of course, plus "Mini" is sort of derived of Austin and Morris and Riley. So long as there are UK men and women who know how to design and engineer and assemble iconic cars, and vehicles are being assembled there, you have the pieces you need. Just, don't take too long at it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Amby and Paul Jenkin like this.

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    BMW is the last of the independent car makers. That alone increases my loyalty to the company.

Everyone else has been swallowed up by one massive conglomerate or another in the mad mad world of global auto industry.

Many corporate/market analysts feel BMW is doing well and is also well-positioned for future. But my crystal ball isn't any better than anyone else's; so we'll just have to see how things play out.

One thing is for sure - this is a golden time to be a driver. There are plenty of ridiculously capable cars out there to be had.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland

Last of the independent volume car manufacturers.

4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    1935 Delahaye

1936.jpg

RJ

5. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    You're very correct.

6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I love these classic car threads, but you guys need to post the name of the cars. I especially love all the streamlined beauties from the 1930s, many of which I have never seen before, but with no description I cannot find them again, if I choose.

I don't care whether they are foreign or not in this thread since it is an international forum anyway and bickering over where you live and what you can post is a waste of time IMHO.

[​IMG]

When I started kindergarten in 1958 my father had a Mark VII Jaguar Sedan that was my favorite car we ever had as a family. It was a similar grey color as above (maybe a little lighter shade, not sure) with green leather interior, burled walnut woodwork inside, two gas tanks that held, I believe 30 gallons total, held 16 quarts of oil with a level on the dash that allowed you to see how much oil was in the engine when the car was turned off and the oil had settled and an exquisite interior smell that I still remember to this day.

Most of the cars my father owned back when I was a kid were $100 specials. He would drive them as long as he could and when they died he would buy another $100 special, but the Jaguar was different, He paid $1200 US for it because he wanted it so badly. That was a true fortune for us back in the 1950s.

7. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Awesome thread! I'm a big MG fan! I had a Midget and a B. I replaced the B with a Miata (not a classic, but a great car) and will have a TD to park next to it in my garage one day!

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Foreign to some. Did they ever export it?

Classic = no seat belts required :)

My '63 Rover P5 mk II

IMG_3401.JPG

The clock loses a few minutes a week but other than that it's pretty much a great daily driver.

Natural relicing, no restoration. Just fixed as things break.

Gut shot!

IMG_3619.JPG

tintag27 likes this.

9. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The VW Mk1 Golf GTI is considered a classic in its own right now .My daughters bloke has one one tucked away .The Golf took all the good design components of several cars like the mini( Engine position )and the Austin A40 farina (rear hatch ) and put it all one well made car with good quality control.
    My first car is now a real classic .An NSU Wankel Spyder.A two seater sports car .it wasnt that reliable though .I did upgrade some ignition parts but then the rotor seals went and NSU stopped spares for it .I managed to sell it .Years later it turned out the rotor seals were made in the UK about 5 miles from where I lived and they had a warehouse full.doh

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Is that one of the ones with overhead intake valves and side-valve exhaust?

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Yep. It's a side port engine. 3 litre. The P5B version had a V8. The 3L straight six is a bit of a classic motor. Used in many early Landrovers, etc. (Another classic)

Mine still runs like a Swiss watch which I'm happy about.

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Meister

May 3, 2016
    Scotland
    The Met used those back in the day.

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Except for the clock. ;)

richiek65 likes this.

14. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1506628854858.jpg

I posted a thread on this car about 6 months back.. it's a one-off, a Cadillac with bodywork by Hartmann, a Swiss coach builder.. i named a band I was in after it - Hartmann Cadillac

Big stonking V16 engine.. the car was abandoned in a field before being restored

Very similar to some other cars posted here for sure.. gorgeous things...

15. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I still see them here in Sydney..

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC

17. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Even the "ordinary" Ferraris are gorgeous.

[​IMG]

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Then there's the classic Toyota small car. So cool.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia

20. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I had a ‘79 280ZX. Even though things went wrong with it consistently, I really loved that car.

Guitarteach likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.