Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any fans of classic foreign automobiles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rjtwangs, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Here's one of the prettiest E-types I've ever seen in person. Usually, I consider the only proper color as British Racing Green, but something about this one just works. Black is always the best color for lines and reflections.

DSC_0227.JPG

2. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    A couple of posters brought up Ford Capri - and the race versions of those cars were classics.

Allow me to get to them in a couple of steps...

First, in 1972 BMW started putting wider-body aero on the first-iteration 3.0CSL

DSC_0316.JPG

This was the beginning of a golden age of GT and GT-based racing. As the rules opened up, by 1974 BMW unleashed the ''batmobile'' CSL, with bodywork that was considered outlandish at the time. This racecar brought BMW a great deal of success and notoriety.

DSC_0311.JPG

DSC_0306.JPG

Porsche countered with the Turbo 911, and we could insert a zillion pics here. The first Turbo 911s I saw were at Daytona 24hr of 1977. The cars were so new that they didn't have race versions fully developed yet; the cars they sent to that race were barely-modified street cars that still had power windows! Within a couple of years as the FIA Group 5 and IMSA GTP classes got even wilder, the Porsches sported some wild bodywork of their own. Aerodynamics was being (almost) fully developed. Here's an example from 1980. A good friend of mine worked on this car:

DSC_0055.JPG

OK, so now to the Capri. Ford of Germany and tuner called Zakspeed built tube-frame funny car versions of Capris that looked like they'd been run over by a steamroller. Arguably these little beasts were the prototypes for the modern DTM cars. I don't have any in person pics of the Capris, IIRC they only raced in Europe. Here's a link to a good story about them with plenty of pics: https://historicmotorsportcentral.com/2016/01/18/group-5-the-zakspeed-capri-turbo/
    [​IMG]

3. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    1936 Delahaye
    delahaye165figoniefalas (3).jpg

delahaye165figoniefalas (1).jpg

delahaye165figoniefalas (2).jpg

RJ

Guran, Stubee and brookdalebill like this.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

You see all these amazing pre-war Delahayes, Delages, and Talbot-Lagos with flashy bodies by Figoni et Falaschi or Saoutchik, were these cars ever available with ordinary factory bodies too? Like a "daily driver" version?

rjtwangs likes this.

5. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    IDK if they had daily driver versions; but in that era there were considerable numbers of coachworks artisans who did all kinds of crazy things bending and rolling metal. It's an artform, really - and some of these cars reflect that.

rjtwangs likes this.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    rjtwangs likes this.

7. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    @Boomhauer - I get it. They took the lovely 3.0CS (go way back in this thread and there's a pic - and I commented about owning one in the past) and made it into a brutal implement.

rjtwangs likes this.

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    How about this Fitch-Whitmore Le Mans Special;

[​IMG]

Designed by Americans John Fitch and Coby Whoitmore - well it's foreign to me!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You'd ask yourself, which body factory would this be?

My recollection is, none of these 3 marques had any in house coachwork facilities. They always farmed the coachwork/ bodywork out, unlike Rolls and Cadillac who offered either.

10. boris bubbanov

Black is not always the "best color" IMO for all designs. I think it depends on the shape - the form; the types of detailing.

Some designs look downright awful in white, while others look fine. IMO sometimes you need to design the vehicle so it looks good in most colors - if this means the look in black is less spectacular, that's just too bad.

11. dkmw

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Black works on that Jag!

I should have put my "best color" comment in context. Whenever you want to find all the minute flaws in something, paint it black. That's what I meant by "showing lines and reflections".

In the composites biz, whenever we were preparing original prototype parts that were going to mold for production, the last thing you do is paint it black and polish it up good. Every flaw shows and you go back and make it perfect before mold is taken off that part.

boris bubbanov and tintag27 like this.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Father had same 3.4 jaguar

13. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    A Citroen 2CV parked outside my house one day, and a lovely Fiat 500 with a Rome plate, spotted in Marbella, Spain - how cool is that!

Citroen 2CV.jpg Fiat500.jpg

Honest Charley likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

These are charming.

I wish I could say that about the current Cinquecento. Although, the "L" version is really awful - the basic 500 is much nicer.

15. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Ferrari 275GTB Spyder

275gtbspyder.jpg
    275gtb12cylinders.jpg
    275gtbinterior.jpg
    275gtbgallopingstallion.jpg

RJ

brookdalebill, richiek65 and dkmw like this.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I like the 4WD version of the 2CV - they put another engine in the back to drive the rear wheels.

[​IMG]

richiek65 likes this.

17. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    1938 Alfa Romeo
    1938Alfa2.jpg
    1938Alfa.jpg alfa.jpg

RJ

brookdalebill and boris bubbanov like this.

18. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    1957 Ferrari 250GT Spyder
    1957Ferrari250gtspyder.jpg
    250gtinterior.jpg
    250gt.jpg

RJ

brookdalebill likes this.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    "Hudson, pack our bags and launch the Lagonda,
    We're off to Surrey".
    Sir Peter Whimsey
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    brookdalebill and rjtwangs like this.

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I always thought these were the fuglyest cars ever. Am I seeing a fuel filler pipe in the passenger side door? Another good reason NOT to own one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.