Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Eagles fans in TDPRI?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Jul 8, 2017.

1. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    I love the eagles music!

The harmonies and guitars? ooohhh yeeaa! so good!

i like Glen Fry s lead singing, so real/genuine with a tiny touch of that "plaintive" thing

soulman969 likes this.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Yes, Felder is on the upper right. Leadon is in the top row and center. Yes, that's Bernie with straight hair.

MaundyQuintet.jpg

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    With the then new and 5th Eagle, Don Felder:

soulman969 likes this.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    And with the exception of a few tunes I much prefer Henley's voice and approach. More soulful and more interesting. And IMHO Randy Meisner was a seriously underrated lead vocalist but they needed him so much for harmonies as Henley began to sing more (he has a lot of upper range too) he sang far less as time went by.

But yeah, that blend of those voices are amazing. Few except maybe POCO did that as well.

ZackyDog likes this.

5. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Wow, that threw me. Straight blondish hair and a much fuller face than later on. Thanks Zacky. :)

ZackyDog likes this.

6. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Holic

Oct 16, 2003
    Joliet, Illinois
    Not a bad idea with all wearing those sunglasses on stage. Bright white stage lights!

ZackyDog likes this.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Don Felder met Bernie ~1963 when Bernie's family moved to Gainesville, Florida. They were pretty tight and used to double date, and of course, play guitar together. About ten years later in 1974, through Bernie's connection and Don's stellar slide playing on Good Day In Hell, Felder was asked to join The Eagles.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Producer/engineer Glyn Johns almost passed on producing them, until he heard their vocal blend.

Randy is great; I've never heard Timothy B. Schmidt tackle Take It To The Limit (?) Another great one by Randy:

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    If you've seen my rants about bad singing, it won't come as a surprise that they're one of my favorite bands. Oh yeah they were good guitar players too.

10. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    I just picked up Desperado on CD. First had it on 8track! Always wanted their first album.

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Here's an old J. D. Souther tune they've been doing since the early '70s but never put on an album 'til Long Road Out Of Eden. Here's a live version performed at the CMA show. Boy, they sure have dressed up a lot since the old days. ;)

Might be worth adding this CD version just to hear Joe work some magic on a Tele......oops make that an Esquire. :oops:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

12. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Timmy never sang it. Eventually Glenn Frey did much later on but I'm not sure he did in the key of C. I'd have to dig up a video to see. I could sing it in C when I was in my 20s but by my 40s it was G or nothing. :lol:

ZackyDog likes this.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Nice. The vintage Eagles cover of JD's song is pretty good too.

soulman969 likes this.

14. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Eagles are great. There is a good documentary on Netflix about them. Do a search on there and give it a watch. Those Shoes is one of my favorites. Such a heavy simple sound.

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I always liked them ('cause I'm a huge fan of Joe and Timmy), but I loved Poco much more. The Eagles just seemed to be a more poppy version of them, whereas I found Poco more creative and with better harmonies than just about any band ever. Highly underrated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.