Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Eagles fans in TDPRI?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Jul 8, 2017.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    I saw them in So. Africa at Sun City in 2012 w/ Stuart Smith- loved it. Then I saw a Joe Walsh concert a couple of years ago and it was awesome as well. A lot of talent in that band, no matter what version. I do agree with Brookdalebill- the first version was my favourite.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I do have to give then thanks. Playing Peaceful Easy Feeling and Take it Easy certainly helped attract more then a few lovely women when I was in college.

Big egos and unlimited amounts of cocaine certainly isn't a good combination for any band. That and a manager that enabled those weaknesses to make himself rich and powerful in the music industry. Yeah, the Eagles were great on so many levels. They also sucked in a lot of ways as human beings. Drugs and sex and power and greed and rock 'n' roll. It's all there.

I have some "audience recordings" from when it was Bernie and Felder on guitars that are as good as anything by anyone. "Hell Freezes Over" is a snooze fest in comparison.

There was a rumor that before they got Joe Walsh, they considered Richard Thompson to play guitar. He was in his Sufi phase at the time and was unavailable. I can only imagine what that might have been like. I asked Don Felder about it and he had no memory of it but he didn't totally discount it either as management might have approached RT without him knowing about it. It's fun to speculate.

soulman969 likes this.

3. Walker

Walker Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2007
    CT
    Not quite sure about that.

Actually, the solos on the recording are a recreation of Felder's solo on his demo. Felder and Walsh were recording a guitar duel for the song when (I think Henley) stopped them and said, hey, that's not the way it goes; he wanted what was on the demo. Felder had left the demo home and had to call and have his housekeeper play it back to him over the phone so they could recreate it.

TeleAndSG likes this.

4. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I didn't know that. Now I understand why Felder is the guitar hero of an ex colleague from work.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    But if you revisit it you won't die a happy man.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    The documentary made it seem like Felder couldn't handle the fact that Don Henley was the star, which is undeniable. It made Felder seem like a whiny little complainer and bad sport

7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Nope. I'll never forgive Joe Walsh for signing on with them as their career was dead in the water, he was, and is, way too good for them. Eagles fans can be glad he saved their rears, but the eagles will always be one of those bands that exists for me to make fun of at their expense.

I know that's a troll post, but hey it's a forum haha...

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Come on. We've all been around enough to know that in some bands douchiness is the order of the day. ;)

I don't think it started that way but money, fame, and the pressure to stay at the top can bring out the worst in some and in this case it did with at least a couple of them. But somehow they got through it all without it impacting the product so they survived it more or less intact.

9. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Well you certainly aren't alone Sconnie but even without Joe Walsh they would have survived quite well. Joe brought in the harder rock aspect they wanted in order to move away from being pegged as just another early '70s country rock band but if wasn't Joe then Bernie Leadon's replacement would have been someone else who fit equally well.

For some of us "boomers" the Eagles were how we learned to sing four and five part harmonies and as Paul pointed out there was a time when if you weren't playing a few Eagles songs you weren't "in the groove" as far as what the music scene was like back then.

Hell, that was 20 years before you were even a twinkle in you Daddy's eyes. ;) :D

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    and I am so much my father's son, where do you think I got these extreme views on such a group. :twisted:

I definitely wasn't around back then, and certainly let my dad's opinions affect me, but even after we listened to them so I could know for myself I replied with a "yeah these guys definitely aren't heavy enough for me" hahaha. I like the anecdote about my dad's aversion to them and as always, to each their own!

soulman969 likes this.

11. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    My first post here. :) Thought I'd share this video of the Eagles in concert with the original lineup in 1973. Lots of talent, for sure.

soulman969 and ZackyDog like this.

12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'll skip a couple of tracks.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I own none of them. I do appreciate the talent and accomplishments though.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Can you spot the two (2) future Eagles from this '67 photo of The Maundy Quintet?

MaundyQuintet.jpg

15. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer 'Head Over Heels' by Poco to all of their albums. :D

16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    This is actually their era I like the best. Simple songs done very well. The blend of their voices is something rare. Few band I've ever heard can get anything quite as well arranged vocally and as tight as they could.

17. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Felder is in the upper right and Leadon is another. Maybe the just below him?

ZackyDog likes this.

18. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Yes I'm a fan, and Elvis liked them too..

claes and blowtorch like this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    It's funny because I really prefer GF singing lead over any of the other guys (including Henley), but those HARMONIES. The rest of the guys sure were gifted vocally.

soulman969 likes this.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Who came out looking good in that documentary ?

Somebody answer me that...

waparker4 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.