Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Eagles fans in TDPRI?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Jul 8, 2017.

1. artisan4

artisan4 TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm a big fan but never saw them live. Pretty early on I realized I don't like stadium shows. I like to see a band before they have gotten huge. Felder and Meisner are my favourite musicians from that band, very talented. Love Felder's guitar work.

broadcaster and troy2003 like this.

2. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Hey Eagles fans I had second thoughts about you reading Leadon's bio!

For the sake of your peace of mind: Don't!

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great, inspiring band.
    Like Fleetwood Mac, they evolved with member changes, but remained consistently brilliant.
    They had the perfect formula.
    The had unforgettable, largely band-written songs, five strong lead singers, four inspiring guitarists, two great bass players, a singular drummer/singer (rare in itself), and a "driven" work ethic.
    They worked as hard as they played.
    I saw them in 73 & 75.
    They were perfectly flawless both times, and they looked like they having the time of their lives.
    Like others have said, 40+ years later, they may be a trifle, uh, overexposed.
    My favorite era in their first, pre-Felder/Walsh/Schmidt.
    I'm an old fan, in every sense of the word!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017

4. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    "all you blood thirsty bystanders better find yourselves a seat...."

Love all their stuff and Desperado remains my sentimental favorite.... Saw the Eagles, Ronstadt and Jackson Browne at Anaheim Stadium in 75. I know that Ronstadt and the Eagles both sang Desperado and something tells me that so did Jackson. Ronstadt's voice echoing through that stadium singing that song is something I'll never forget.

I believe it was Walsh's first concert with them and he really brought something to the band.

oldgofaster, TeleAndSG and richiek65 like this.

5. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Very multi talented band sometimes bashed due to their huge popularity and of overhearing their songs. One can tire of anything but It's impossible to deny their talent.

6. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Maybe but it features Hearache Tonight, which is also one of my favorite tracks. I must give it a few spins in order to opine.

7. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Their producer Bill Sczymczyck was also working with Walsh at the time, and sugessted him, as far as I know.

BuckSatan and troy2003 like this.

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Felder's and Walsh's lead guitars in Hotel California are considered by many experts as the best guitar solos ever (beating all solos by two guys named Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen).

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Where's my Creedence tapes?

2 Headed Goat and Colors like this.

10. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It's not only in the USA, or in the radio. Be sure that at least one friend of yours will play the Beatles or the Eagles on this side of the Atlantic, when they are giving you a ride back home, or in their house when having a party, or at any other moment they like. Naturally, commercial radio makes matters worse.

11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Of course Walsh brought amazing guitar playing, and some of his songs to their sets.

troy2003 likes this.

12. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Probably I actively disliked them a long time ago, never listened to them as a fan but I too had a moment when I realized that these guys did most everything with perfection. They did everything just right, soloed but didn't oversolo, lyrics well done and all very well composed.
    So when I hear their songs on the radio, even the overplayed stuff, I stop and listen and marvel, even though they aren't my thing.

soulman969 and Georox like this.

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    When the Hell Freezes Over tour came through St. Louis and a friend and I got to go see it, I remember being pretty wowed by the amp backline as well as the performance itself. Big ol green-accented stack o Trace bass and acoustic amps, and various Fender and Marhsall combos. The sound quality was really good.

I read somewhere that back in their heyday, Felder liked to play through a cranked Deluxe, and miked that and ran it through a little PA rig just for added stage volume. Sort of like a more conservative version of Neil Young's galaxy of supporting amps all centered around making his Deluxe loud enough.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Had never been much of a fan.

Watched the documentary. A lot of it made me sad. And mad.

But I will admit, I was awed by their talent and work ethic.

The many moments backstage with just the guys gathered around Glen playing an acoustic, singing picture-perfect harmonies, were a marvel. In my head they looked really happy in those moments. Hope that was true.

blowtorch and soulman969 like this.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    the music is so nice that it makes you wonder why there was so much douchiness within that institution

soulman969 and MilwMark like this.

16. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I just watched what I'm going to assume is probably the same documentary last night. I had forgotten how many great songs those guys wrote. I also tend to forget how much they started out as a country rock band with their origins playing for Linda Ronstadt and having pulled members from the Burrito brothers and Poco. The later Joe Walsh era stuff is more what I tend to think of when the Eagles are mentioned, and while I love me some Joe Walsh, I think on the whole the earlier, more country rock stuff has aged more gracefully.

soulman969 and jackinjax like this.

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I'm almost 53, so they were big when I was growing up.

To me, this song has the best arrangement, melody and guitar solo in their catalogue. Randy Meisner's opening bass lines are mesmerizing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    soulman969 and guitar0621 like this.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Money money money money.

soulman969 likes this.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    yep. greed wrecks lots of stuff

brookdalebill and soulman969 like this.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Big fan. Am 61 and have loved their music since Take it Easy and Ol' 55 when they had Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner. Have been playing their songs since around age 17. Seen them every time they come here and was deeply upset when Don Felder "had" to leave and when Glen Frey died.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.