Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Eagles fans in TDPRI?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Jul 8, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Yesterday I bought my copy of their 1973 Desperado Album. For some reasons that escape my comprehension, the album didn't sell well initially, and the title track (perhaps my favorite of theirs) was never released as a single. It doesn't sound like a very "calculated" record, yet it had all the ingredients for being a huge seller, and eventually went double platinum. Plus it is one of their most critically acclaimed works, the first one where the Henley-Frey partnership can be fully appreciated.

Stratohacker and brbadg like this.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    That's the only Eagles album I've never owned. If I never hear Desperado again I'll die a happy man. I've just heard it too many times at open mics and such. I should really revisit it. It's been a long time.

Modman68 and brookdalebill like this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    It was a theme album at a time when not everyone got that. Overall I think it had some great tunes and some not so great tunes but they tied it all together with an Old West concept and the two versions of Desperado were kind of key to getting that thematic message across.

It was also the last of the two Eagles albums produced by Glyn Johns.

Tonetele and TeleAndSG like this.

4. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    I own all of them

hrstrat57 likes this.

5. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I'm a big fan of their music. I recently watched a doc movie about The Eagles and found out that I didn't know hardly a thing about them.
    Frey and Henley played in Linda Ronstadt's band for a while when she was up and coming. It wasn't until she put Desperado on one of her albums did it get popular.

TeleAndSG likes this.

6. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Si did Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon!.

artisan4, SheldonP and soulman969 like this.

7. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Strange coincidence - I just bought a copy of Desperado this week too!

Really great album - I like the early Eagles' albums, great mix of styles with Bernie Leadon's banjo and fingerpicking skills. And those are great songs. I love the way the Doolin Dalton / Desperado Reprise doesn't just rehash either song exactly as it was before, and they manage to make something new to close the album out.

soulman969 and TeleAndSG like this.

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    That's one of the reasons why I've never bought Hotel California. It's songs are too oftener played. I think I will buy it after all.

DonM likes this.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I have always been a fan of the band and awed by the collective talent.

Like any other artists, they've released songs I didn't care for, but I think that's almost always the case.

I listened to Long Road out of Eden in its entirety, on a road trip as soon as I got it. It was interesting to me because the first disc sounded very Henley influenced, and disc 2 sounded like new, but familiar, Eagles material.

A musician buddy has the Hell Freezes Over video, and I think it's incredible.

jackinjax, soulman969 and TeleAndSG like this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I own all of them

galen likes this.

11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It's too soon to tell for me yet. I've only given it a spin, but I really like it. It's harder rocking than their later material; it's acoustic; it has beautiful balladry, even a string section!.

soulman969 likes this.

12. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Yep, I noticed that too!.

13. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I also got But Seriously Folks by Joe Walsh. He really dig amazing things with them and on his own.

14. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Was blasting LITFL earlier when I was cleaning the house.

After not listening to them for years, I admit to liking them. Almost all configurations except the last one.

15. GCBguitars

GCBguitars TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    California
    I want to answer "Trick question. There is no such thing as an Eagles fan."

It isn't true, though, so it's less funny, and I don't actually dislike the Eagles. It isn't really their fault their songs were played to death on radio and that their imitators were so aggressively awful compared to other peoples' imitators.

MilwMark likes this.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    So it hit you that way too.

That's what I meant when I posted about how interestingly they weaved their way back to that ending but with an entirely different approach. It was one of those things about that album that made me sit up and take notice when I bought it.........long, long, long ago. :( :lol:

SheldonP, AAT65 and jackinjax like this.

17. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I saw them in concert in 1975, shortly after Joe Walsh joined them (amazing live band!!), but I've never bought any of their albums. A great band that has been so overplayed on classic rock stations that I have no desire to actively listen to them.

Chicago Matt and TeleAndSG like this.

18. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    It's the same thing with the Beatles. Sit down, listen to their records carefully (if you can get over the fact that their songs have been played too frequently) and you realize how brilliant they are (again, not an easy thing, since their songs are too familiar :()

refin likes this.

19. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2009
    kansas
    Love the band,have almost all their albums.

TeleAndSG likes this.

20. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    I'm a huge Eagles fan - I've got all their albums. A lot of people bash the group and I don't quite know why. Great harmonies, talented musicians, and story-telling lyrics.

waparker4, artisan4 and TeleAndSG like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.