Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Don Williams fans?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I know we have plenty of pickers, guitar slingers, writers, and singers here, so can we give a tribute to the Gentle Giant, Don Williams?

I have always kind of liked him, but now that I am going through his catalog, I realize his greatness. I am putting together a set of mostly laid back, "coffee shop" type of music. I'm finding gems like Till The Rivers All Run Dry and Amanda.

Any fans out there? Does anybody here perform Don's music?

Dan R

2. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

May 7, 2008
    Okinawa, Japan
    Big Don Williams fan here. I used to play alot of his stuff back in the day. Stuff like 'Some Broken Hearts' and 'You're My Best Friend' I thought he was great and should have been bigger but his heyday was during the outlaw movement and he was coming fm a different place. I was glad to see that he was inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame this year. Well deserved and long overdue.

3. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Yes and yes, in that order. I've always enjoyed his laid-back relaxed style. Can't say I'm familiar with everything he's recorded, but I know most of the usual suspects and include a few DW songs in my own set.

4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Yup. For sure.

One of the underappreciated giants of country music.

Just the other day I heard somebody say, "Beck? He's good, but he's no Don Williams!"

;)

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have a lot of his records on vinyl and my 70's band performed (at least) "Amanda".

Saw him at Scandinavium, Gothenburg, Sweden in the mid 70's. He was a substitute for Waylon and a great one at that. A few days later he had his big breakthrough at Wembley Stadium, London, and he and his lead guitarist, Danny Flowers, were pictured with Eric Clapton.

A very, very nice and modest guy with a great voice and some great songs.

Danny Flowers impressed everyone, including Clapton, with his country/wah wah picking style. And he sang the high "female" voice on "Amanda".

6. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
    He's cool all right.

7. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Nov 23, 2007
    Ringgold, Ga.
    +1

8. voodoostation

voodoostation Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2007
    Midlothian, Va
    One of the smoothest, most pleasing voices in music. I can't recall ever hearing a bad Don Williams song. "Green green grass of home" and "Good Ol' boys like me" are probably my favorites.

9. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2004
    Richmond, Indiana
    Oh, yeah, big fan here! Have performed some his songs both solo and with bands.

I've always wanted to see him live, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

One of my top country favorites.

10. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

Well. Hardly under appreciated. I will sing his praises any chance I get. A great songwriter who has been appreciated and covered by Clapton, Knopfler, Atkins and others.
    What a songwriter. When I get to thinking I need to write something new I start thinking of all the great tunes folks would likely rather hear than any drivel I might come up with.
    "I ain't gonna marry in the fall. I ain't gonna marry in the spring.
    'Cause I'm in love with a pretty lil' girl who wears a diamond ring..."

"But I've got silver in the stars, and gold in the morning sun.
    Gold in the morning sun."

Ain't that purty?

:D

11. jswindle

jswindle Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2009
    Rowlett, TX
    I've loved Don Williams music since I was a kid. My Dad had one of his albums and it was one of those great memories of my childhood. I listen to his stuff pretty regularly. Good Ole' Boys Like Me is one of my all time favorite songs. Used to mix that into the set list every now and then back in the day.

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    back when i was in college, a creative writing professor brought in songwriter Bob McDill. he talked for a while, then he sang a new song he had written: "Good Ole Boys Like Me". i was knocked out...what a great song. after the class, i went up to him and asked if he was going to release "Good Ole Boys" himself. he said "no, i think i'm going to offer it to Bobby Bare. i said, "Nah, man, you gotta give that one to Don Williams!" he said, "you really think so?" me: "oh, yeah. Don Williams would have a number one with that"

a few months later...whaddya know, there's Don Williams on the radio singing "Good Ole Boys Like Me". almost topped the charts...it got to #2, but i kinda feel a little bit responsible for that one.

13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    As well as being a fan of Don Williams, a huge admirer of Danny Flowers. Saw Don, + Danny + bass player, and for jus three guys they created a superb sound, vocally & musically.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Lord I Hope this Day is Good is one of my favorite tunes and a fun acoustic solo. He and Tom T Hall are two laid back country singers I enjoy.

15. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Hey, Don's from Texas-what's not to like? Born in Floydada, grew up in Portland (next to Corpus Christi). He's definately underappreciated and one of the greats in the vocal talent department. My favorite has always been "Lord, I hope this day is Good". I sing that one to myself a lot.;)

16. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    At least Nashville gave him some appreciation this year, by making him the newest member of the Country Music Hall Of Fame.

17. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

What a voice. Like golden honey.

I've covered Tulsa Time, but of course don't sound half as good as DW.

18. IdahoPicker

IdahoPicker Tele-Afflicted

Jun 20, 2009
    North Idaho
    He is as great as Country music (or any truly heartfelt music) should be. There has never been a foul mood of mine that couldn't be destroyed by his sound. I grew up listening to my Mom's vinyls, many of which were Don Williams.

19. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

didnt he do that tune about "little baby ducks, old pickup trucks, coffee when its hot" or something like that and "faster horses younger women older whiskey and more monnnneeeeyyy"?

20. Thinliner

Thinliner Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Tullahoma, TN
    Absolutely love him. One of my faves!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.