Any DIY alternatives to a reverb tank bag?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dweeb686, Feb 8, 2019.

1. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Chicago
    Hey all! I just installed a new reverb tank in my Deville and want to put the stock one in a project amp I’ve been working on. The amp originally came with a 9” reverb whereas my extra tank is 17”

I am really resisting the idea of spending $15 on a reverb tank bag, because I’m sure I can figure out a $0 alternative. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any success with alternatives to a reverb bag, or wishes to help me brainstorm!

Right now I’m thinking of cutting a reusable shopping bag down to size.

24 track likes this.
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    All the tank bags I've ever seen were made of rather inexpensive "leather look" vinyl. I don't see why your shopping bag idea would be any worse, especially if it's nice heavy canvas like some of mine are. Next best $0 idea would be find a junked & abandoned car that still has vinyl on the seats and cut yourself out a big square from the back of one of the front seats. It goes without saying to make sure you know for certain the car is actually junked and just waiting for the scrap truck, and not somebody's "someday project".

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I went to Fanny's Fabrics and bought a square meter of naughahyde cut ot a patteren and hand stiched in side out then pulled the right way around ,I made 2 bags , one for a 69 super reverb , one for a fender Jam amp . make time: 25 minutes each , I placed grommets in each end of the bag so they could be screwed into the bottom of the cabs , And I have enough matterial left over for many other projects like covering an amp cab. cost was 20.00 CDN

Wally and Nickfl like this.
  4. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    If you aren't bothered about the particular cosmetics of the Fender-type bag, you can just screw the bare tank down in the base of the cabinet and it will function fine. Many older amps do it this way, the only downside being the dust and gunk that accumulates on the tank over time.

5. dweeb686

dweeb686 TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Chicago
    Excellent ideas! I suppose I could do a single-sided cover rather than a bag, so I will keep that in mind. Not sure I’ll be able to find a junked car near me as I live in Chicago where towing companies have all the junked cars from over the years sitting on their lots, and they’re not particularly nice or sane people, but that does sound like a nice way to get the best $0 result.

Perhaps I can extend the 9” bag with part of a reusable bag. Might give my cable a good access point for the RCA plugs too.

Keep the ideas coming if you think of anything else!

6. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I use black plush foam back auto carpet with snaps. It isolates the tank from cabinet vibrations, is easy to snap open and vacuum out, and protects anything that's in there.

7. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    Westminster, CO
    Cut off a leg of some old blue jeans for max mojo.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.