Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Any Concrete Blonde fans?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Fred Rogers, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Written about Wall of Voodoo guitarist Marc Moreland, who died from the effects of his alcoholism.

Written by Wall of Voodoo (Mach 2) lead singer Andy Prieboy.

viccortes285 likes this.

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Harder edged stuff. These songs stopped me in my tracks when I first heard them on our local college radio station many years ago.

Bruxist, jman72 and viccortes285 like this.

3. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I had such a crush on Johnette back in the day.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    One of my all time favorite bands. Period. I didn't discover them until "Joey" hit the airwaves while I was in high school. But ever since then they've been a staple in my life.

Bruxist likes this.

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Excellent band. One of my bands does 'Joey' and it's a great late night weepy number.

6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Oh yeah, one of my top five bands ever. I discovered them on the "Pump up the Volume" movie soundtrack around 1990 and loved everything they'd ever done. James Mankey is one of the most underrated and recognizable guitarists around. His style is very unique. I've always loved their interesting blend of ethereal (chorus-rich) guitar parts with hard edge vocals and distortion. Awesome band!

thunderbyrd likes this.

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    Yeah, I love his playing, too.

8. Alpino_321

Alpino_321 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2007
    Aviano, Italy
    One of my all-time favorite bands! In my mind they should have been one of the biggest of the '90's.

9. Ohhh i loved her music! Blast from the past!

viccortes285 likes this.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, another fan here!

11. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Count me in.

Anyone else ever confused that the same song was released as "Chew You Up and Spit You Out" and "Still in Hollywood" ? (with minor differences)

12. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    My 2 favourites.

dkmw likes this.

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Never much cared for their records, but I saw them live and thought they were fantastic. My favorite introduction from Johnette: "You write one song about a vampire and everyone slags you off as goth."

They did good covers too. Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" and a quick run through Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody" during sound check were both goosebump-inducing.

Fred Rogers likes this.

14. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    I was hooked the first time I heard their Bloodletting CD sometime around 1995. If it had been a 33 vinyl record, it would have been worn out within 6 months. :)
    What more can you say about Johnette's voice... and the rest of Concrete Blonde of course.

15. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    I really dug them. I saw them in Milwaukee (probably during the Bloodletting tour) and got thrown out of the venue during the first song for taking pics during the show... Oops, especially since it was a 4-hour drive from where I was living at the time...

16. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    That sucks!

17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    As much as I don't care for the production on this, the drums sound bad and someone needs to ease up on the whammy bar the vocals and delivery just have always hit me hard. I saw them on this tour but didn't know this album was out until a few songs into the show. I wondered why I didn't recognize some of them

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    a cool band for sure...people posted videos of songs i love so no need for me to post them

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.