Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Any B E A D players?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by String Tree, Feb 5, 2013.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Low-to-high.
    Just joined a band and the Bass player does just that.
    Likes the Low notes, doesn't want a 5-string.

He likes to hold down the bottom-end and, seems to be doing just that.
    Sounds good to me, I have no complaints.

Any other 4-stringers around here that do the same?

2. kenstradamus

kenstradamus TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2011
    fort wayne
    i never have or known anybody to.

but Russ Valory of Journey did that most of his career

3. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got a P/J setup that way, never was a fan of 5 strings.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2012
    thorne bay alaska
    B*E*A*D is an ideal tuning. There is much talk about it here in the past. Give that G string to a guitar player. take care. Bob

6. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I didn't love the 5 string I had, but I frequently use the Hipshot extender key I have dialed down to D on my 4 string. I have thought about it occasionally, but have yet to pull that trigger.

"Baritone Bass"?

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Aurora, IL
    I'm pretty much all five string at this point, but I do still have a pair of fours that don't get much love anymore - a dynamite EBMM Sterling that was a gift from my wife and MIL and a beater old G&L L1000. I've seriously considered stringing them both BEAD to see if it helps me to give them more playing time and may start with the G&L. I don't think I'll miss the high G.

All my other fours are gone...

8. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Jan 7, 2013
    Covina, CA
    My Jazz bass is tuned ADGC (just like my Tele and Strat). I prefer the extra "grind" you get from old school detuning then simply adding a lower string. My old drummer has a six string Carvin that I just could not get along with. Those necks are just too big!

9. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2011
    Akl NZ
    Ironically, the only 5 string I've ever owned/played and liked was this no name POS thing. It was even an awful colour (transparent failed amber - orange).
    It had such a comfy neck and real full, round and punchy pickups.
    Sold it for $150, meaning I made $150 on it. :lol:

My current bass is in DGdg, low to high. Makes some thin lizzy riffs a bit more... Interesting, but full and (deep) ringing chords are right there.
    Seeing as I only have a short scale at the mo, I'm hoping to get a longer scale and try CGDA.

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Never needed the lower notes. The one time I gigged on a five string, I did kinda like having the extra notes under my fingers in any particular position, but I doubt if I played the sub-E notes more than a few times all night...

Tim

11. erratick

erratick Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    SoCal
    I used to play BEAD instead of getting a 5 for some gigs. I no longer string a bass that way. I'm better off EADG- that is difficult enough for me to master.

12. MN Punk

MN Punk Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I play a 5 almost exclusively when I play bass, and that's the main reason why. It ain't so much about the low D, C and B (although those are sometimes fun); it's all about being able to stay higher up on the neck and on fatter strings for everything you play.

I would miss the G like I'd miss a leg, especially for slap-funk. If I must play a 4, standard tuning for me, thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.