Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Any Advice...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jake69, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jake69

Jake69 TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012

Im looking at changing out the pick-ups on my 08 American Tele. I am not looking for a major change, actually there is only a few things that I would like to change from the stock Pick-ups

1. The neck pick-up comes off a bit too bassy and muddy. I play alot of clean stuff, I have tried messing around with my amp and some other stuff but just cant get it to clean up.

Im looking for something close to the stock pup if anyone is familar,a little warmer, clearer and a balanced sound. Not too much of either the bass/mids/treble. Balanced. I guess thats a good way to put it.

2. The bridge really just to warm it up a bit.

I play through a vox AC15c1, which I would love the tone I get even more if I could get those two things taken care of.

As I said before I play alot of clean wheter it is chords or picking, blues or jazz. And I do play with gain, Classic rock, 90's rock.

I thought of maybe an alnico II pro or some kind of alnico 2 pick-up. Reason being is with reviews and what not it states it is a warmer and darker pick-up. Some saying it can get too dark, and being that my guitar is already bright and the amp is bright as well I thought it might match up nice.

I understand that ultimately I will have to try it and hear it first hand. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight or other suggestion.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Pentatomic

Pentatomic Tele-Meister

Nov 3, 2010
    Troy, IL
    You may want to try just replacing your tone caps for higher ones first and seeing if that helps. Could save you some time and $$$.
  3. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Staring simple:

Have you adjusted heights?

Nickle strings?

Use softer picks, if you use a heavy, try a medium etc

Tried picking closer to the bridge when using only the neck pup?

If you have that gsh12 -30 Warf speaker in your ac15 try a greenback maybe
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    In the USA!
    It might be a good idea to check out the websites of O.C. Duff and Don Mare, both of whom are "pickup gurus" with excellent reputations, and maybe contact them. Both offer several types of pickups, and both offer custom wound pickups.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Since you don't yet have a definite idea of what you want, maybe try some good middle of the road, not too expensive vintage style pickups. Nocasters are popular for example.
  7. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    For the neck, I would definitely recommend the Rumpelstiltskin "Tall Boy".
    It is the closest thing to a strat (I have a strat)
    It is not muddy and I've done a side by side with my strat neck and it's hard to tell the difference. The Tall Boy is actually hotter and if you are playing rock you're going to want that. As far as the bridge, I have been recommending his "Black Rope 50's version wound at 9.5 k. I use it for rock all the time. It's warmer and thicker as well.
    Contact Aaron Campbell via email he will help you decide. He's a good dude.
    If you don't like what he winds for you he will exchange them.
  8. Jake69

Jake69 TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input so far!

I already use a medium pick, nickel strings and the vox has a greenback In her. I'm tinkering around with the pick up height as we speak and will mess with that for a few day and take it from there.

In between I will research some of the suggested pick-ups as well.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    -60's wiring
    -maybe treble bleed
  10. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Apr 17, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    I use a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge and their vintage rythmn neck pup. the neck pup is dark but airy and sounds great for jazz and blues and blends well with the bridge for a awesome middle position tone. Pickup heights play a big part of the sound. I use 250k pots and a .047 cap
  11. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    If you like what you hear from the Alnico II pro from SD I find them to be great pups. Very balanced and warm. They also take gain very well.
  12. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Maybe just a 6.5-7k strat alnico V neck pup, or possibly just exposing the pole on the Tele neck pup. like the pic. Or a Baja Twisted Neck PUP, just thinking out loud...

13. Jake69

Jake69 TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    So what would taking the cover off the neck pup do? Would that take some of the muddiness out?
    Maybe a bit of the bass? I lowered it quit a bit but the neck is so bassy. But again with it being muddy that prob. Won't help
  14. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Yes, without the cover, a lot of the muddiness disappears. It's worth looking at Bill Lawrence's Keystones, which are perfectly clear, have great highs, no harshness/edginess, and a bit more fundamental than many traditional Tele-style pickups.
  15. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2008
    Birmingham, Alabama
    +1 on the Keystones. Very clear and articulate.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    If you never turn the tone knob down on the neck pu , you can wire it without tone control. That will brighten up the neck pu , and let you dial in the amp so that the bridge pu also gets in the sweet spot for you.....If you are lucky !

If the bass strings sounds boomy on the neck pu , def try lowering it...
    It can take some time , but its worth it to have it setup and have usable sounds when flicking the switch without having to turn knobs all the least for me
  17. Jake69

Jake69 TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the input! I really messed around with the pick up height for the past few weeks and o think I'm getting close to what I want. Though haven't rules out a pick up change yet. The only thing Is my neck and middle isn't a much of a difference in sound. I think I need a bit more adjusting.
  18. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    +1 Play on th neck with your clean setting and lower the pickup till it cleans up.You cn try rolling to volume back a hair also to cllean it up more. The neck position is not the greatest on a tele though. I prefer the middle switch position for a fat clear clean tone. I use the neck if I want to blend in with the rest of the band
  19. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2010
    Warrington, Pa. USA
    How is the volume levels now between the bridge and neck? Play at a live volume and switch back and forth to adjust the bridge to now match the volume level of the neck.
  20. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Is this an American Series/Standard 08?

Because if it is then it should have come with a set of "American Telecaster", the neck pickup of which is one of Fender's finest for anything from smooth jazz to rock. The bridge pickup however if a bit meh!

There are few better tele neck pickups for the sounds you describe, that's what I use mine for.

1) do adjust that neck pickup, if it is too brassy then it is probably too close to the strings. Try "Pure Nickel" strings for a more rounded sound (I use Roto PN10 10-46).

2) I swapped out the neck pickup on my AmSer07 into my Baja06 where it matches up perfectly with the Broadcaster.: 250k pots 47nF cap standard fare for tele.
  21. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    I don't think you can go wrong with Alnico II pickups.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.