Any advice on how to get past the standard chords?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Marquee Moon, May 23, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

y'all are talking about fingerings and chord encyclopedias

based on the OP's likes, it may be he could use more ways of thinking through harmony

OP, how are you at modulation, modal mixture, and voice leading? can you add 6ths and 9ths wherever you are on the neck? and how comfortable are you playing in minor keys?

alternate tunings are also great for stretching the old ears

2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

The best way to get beyond beginner level is to find a teacher who knows what they are doing. You don't need to go into jazz to learn more chords up the fretboard, though you'll certainly get that.

What you probably need to learn are the inversions of major/minor triads, and then some extended chords, like major/minor/dom 7ths, 9ths, 13ths.

Basic music theory -- i.e. how chords are made and basic functional harmony -- is mandatory if you want to advance. It's no way near as scary or complicated as it sounds. A good teacher can show you the basics very quickly.

klasaine likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

its always next to the 2 black keys, isn't it?

4. ndcaster

in the middle tho

v__k likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Your guitar has black keys?

6. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Ah, man, just play songs off the internet. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I started with Guitar Tricks lessons, then went to Justin Guitar, mastered about 8 chords, then got bored with the pace. Started playing song tabs off the net of songs I’ve always loved. That’s key because tabs don’t really tell you how to piece together the notes/chords rhythmically the way the song was written. Plus you can play with effects and such to try and nail a tone. I also studied and learned the entire neck with diagrams and such until I really understood how it all fits together. Once you get a couple complete songs under your belt, you’ll likely have been introduced to hammer ons and pull offs and bends and all kinds of things. I occasionally dabble in theory and stuff, because it fascinates me. But as far as learning to play and advancing and just becoming one with the guitar, I’ve found just playing to be ten times more effective and fun than learning a bunch of chords ad nauseum. And so satisfying. Ymmv.

ndcaster likes this.
  7. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Check out tri tone subsitutuions

8. ndcaster

this is great advice, and choose songs that are totally unlike what you'd normally play

that'll open you up right quick

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Try to play the chord with the melody on top. Even if it is a simplified melody, the point is you'll find that the melody might be the 9 or another color note, and that chord will generally work well as a spiced up chord if you're accompanying someone, or trying to play more colored chords.
    Autumn Leaves as already recommended would be a good one to try this with.
    Also, learn your common chords (Major7, Minor7, Dom7, Minor7flat5) with root on the low e, a, and d strings if you haven't.
    Just take it one chord at a time, don't be in a rush. As you do it more it comes faster.

10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

yes this is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of. I'm a big fan of psyche rock. Can you explain where I can find out more about the things you are listing..

11. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

John Mayer’s “Daughters” is a very similar progression as well, if not the same.

ASATKat likes this.
  12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Start simple. Ya don’t need to learn any new songs, if ya play any blues just substitute in some 6th, 9th or 13th chords for the dominant 7th chords. The fingerings are easy and can be found on the Internet.

13. ndcaster

here's one

jazz sounds, though

you don't need all the sevenths etc, the idea is the same for simpler sounds

Marquee Moon likes this.
  14. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I basically agree with you, but I think learning songs is great.

As far as expanding blues beyond standard barre chords, I agree the smaller three note chords are easier and far more sophisticated sounding.

standard A7 barre,

I used to attend a local blues jam and it seemed like everyone started their blues accompaniment with this kind of barre chord. It makes all the songs sound the same sadly and that was a shame. And they would look at me using imo cooler chords and think I was from Mars. No one really seemed to care about advancing, they were happy dusting of their playing once a week.

So going beyond the big grip chords is a noble pursuit.

ndcaster likes this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

In regard to moving beyond big grip chords, getting better involves getting smaller.

One thing that really turns me off with big five and six string chords is the doubling of notes

How many roots do you need?
    -5 root
    -5 5th
    -6 3rd
    -7 root
    -7 5th
    -5 root

A HUGE problem for me with these big chords with doubled notes is TUNING. We all know guitars are finicky to tune, the weird tuning between the third and second string where we toss our hands up in the air and say "close enough". We all do it because the guitar is ever so slightly out of tune, this is why big guitar chords "clang" because the three roots you're playing in the big chord are OUT OF TUNE with each other. Three roots, in a perfect world the lowest root beats (vibrates) at 500bps, an octave up on the 4th string in a perfect world that would beat at 1,000bps, and the root on the first string would beat at 2,000. But that isn't what we have with our beloved guitar, we get 494bps, 1017bps, and 1995bps,,, we struggle with clunky sounding chords trying to make them sound better. Acoustics are far more forgiving than our Teles, and I'm happy my ASAT Special let's me know when I'm out, and rewards me when I'm in tune. Like I said in my signature "I spend half my time tuning and the other half playing out of tune.

The beauty of smaller chord shapes is there are no doubled notes, you get one of each chord tone and that ELIMINATES the clanging sound and the chord chimes in sweet tuning aggreement.

When I heard/learned about the beauty of smaller chords I knew I was going to change my way of playing to this new style,,, I never looked back.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Harry Styron and ndcaster like this.
  16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

pretty interesting..long time ago..lights goin off & on at shows..or strobe lights..ya cant see the fretboard anyways..i practice in the dark watching TV at night..just holding the guitar & moving shapes around..plus i started having poor vison a few years ago..i guess its muscle memory ..maybe ? it does help..the ear will back you off a wrong fingering pretty quick as a natural reflex

17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

No expert here, but I think there is a difference between playing solo at home and planning in a mix. Full chords don’t do well in a mix, but playing at home they add a fullness and richness to the ear. I think to create that same fullness with things like triads playing solo requires more musical skill and theory understanding coupled with far more grip changes including sliding into the triad to sound good. Once you are that point then you are mixing in single note licks and runs. And....at that point you are not asking for chord help.

I always think the next step in learning anything should be simple and attainable so that the person can move on to the next step.

18. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And as Steve Miller told his father when after telling him he was dropping out of college to be a professional musician and his father said, "you only know three chords"...... "Yes, and don't go trying to teach me a fourth!"

Marquee Moon likes this.
  19. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

deleted

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  20. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Gotta admit. Didn't see that one coming!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.