Any advice on how to get past the standard chords?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Marquee Moon, May 23, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

it rubs the fatback on its skin or it plays mundane 9th chords and gets hosed again.

klasaine, blackguts and Piggy Stu like this.
  2. getbent

lacking veracity requires additional voicings.

klasaine likes this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Play drunk

Telecasterless likes this.
  4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

JL_LI likes this.
  5. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Harry Styron and Rowdyman like this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I would echo some of the thoughts here: you have to listen to and explore playing music to gets past the basic chord set. Classical music has been doing it for 300 years, jazz for a century, then prog rock, some metal, Zappa, etc.

Wade into genres that may not be your cup of tea and see what you learn!

stinkey likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Eggsackly. Whither "and the truth"?

8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think Mickey Baker's book is almost too hard for most people. I'm an experienced player and I wasn't too thrilled with trying to learn a gazillion
    fairly esoteric chord voicings right out of the gate. It's a pretty huge chunk to try and swallow IMO. I think the idea of learning songs that you
    want to play that have some interesting chords, and learning the chords you need for them as you need them, may be a more palatable
    way to expand chord vocabulary. We didn't learn to speak English by slavishly studying grammar books. We learned by speaking it. I think
    music in general should be learned the same way-- by learning what we need to know as we actually make music.

JL_LI, Marquee Moon, LKB3rd and 2 others like this.
  9. getbent

The Truth? You want the TRUTH?!

10. getbent

the challenge here is that is a list of destinations... the key is which path to take to all the destinations and that lies in.... wait for it.... harmony.

there. I said it.

11. BigDaddyLH

The OP needs to say what he is trying to do, what is his goal? How about a video that demonstrates it?

12. getbent

Without more info, the thread ended at Ken's post... which is why I goofed off...

klasaine likes this.
  13. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I agree, we know nothing, does he/she play jazz, rock, country,,, in fact she/he hasn't even chimed in since the OP, and after all these suggestions and eager input.

???

14. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Chord Chemistry is not my choice for this "next level" book.

Julian Lage said what I had been thinking about the book. He said he spent all this time learning page 1, and in the end the chords in the book did not click with his way of playing.

Chord Chemistry is an advanced book aimed primarily at solo jazz guitarists. It's too much for someone who's looking to step beyond basic barr chords. I haven't looked at my copy in years because I just don't need it.

Chord Chemistry is full of studies that Greene created when he was learning chords. Some people read a book, Greene wrote a book. There are lots of artists that did similar things as Greene that they put in a book and I found in a music store and bought. I have at least 20 books much like Chord Chemistry that are full of etudes and exercises the wrote while learning.

The Art Of Two Line Improvisation by Jimmy Wyble is one, George Van Eps, Joe Pass, Howard Robert's, and especially

Pat Martino, who had to relearn all guitar after serious brain surgery where they had to cut his corpus callosum (responsible for the brain being able to communicate with both hemispheres).
    And he wrote it all out as his eyes became a major way for both hemispheres to communicate. Watch him play and notice his intense focus on what both hands are doing. The point is, it worked for him. So write things out, create your own book. Write out theory and applications, write etudes, write etudes around Autumn Leaves that Klassaine suggested. Write out 10x through the song, maybe call it sonic sculpting.

And call all that work FUN. At least I always viewed it as fun.

The old saying "give a person a fish and they eat for a day, teach a person to fish and they eat for life. That is so true about chords.

15. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I second this. If you can learn basic "drop 2" and "drop 3" forms (Google it if you don't know what that means), those basic forms can easily be altered to become more complex/colorful/unusual/etc.

16. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

I loved the Mickey Baker book! I was practicing the lessons and all the time I was going, dude, you can do *this* with a guitar??!!!

Especially liked the "intros" lesson. With that and a bit of imagination, you can start putting together your first chord melodies.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  17. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

hence the circles of fifths:

upload_2019-5-24_16-42-28.jpeg

TheMindful and getbent like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

I think of drop-2 and drop-3 chords as "the standard chords". We need to hear from the OP.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    ASATKat likes this.
  19. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I think standard chords for majority of casual guitarists are open and barre chords. That's beginner and intermediate level. Drop chords are upper end of intermediate level, IMO. Not sure if you're a guitar instructor but most students I come across barely make it to the barre chord stage before deciding "this is too hard" and go back to soccer.

20. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

If you are familiar with Truefire an have the app to download and store videos, Howard Morgen has a very good lesson video called “Fingerboard Breakthrough” where he discusses in detail how to increase your chord vocabulary and make chords sound good with voice leading concepts.

Thinliner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.