Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anxiety and depression

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    BT -Glad to hear the weather (mebbe some more light?) helped.
    I am amazed by the paperwork and other obstacles - an employer might wonder how much more productive their teams might be if they weren't carrying around an additional burden.
    Just sayin . . .
    Peace - Deeve

2. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    Earth
    Just wanted to chime in with a few observations I've made since I started dealing with this a couple years ago. Hope it's helpful.

It's a strange sensation to look back on your life and see how your condition has worsened over the years.

Professional help is expensive and that can add to the stress.

Progress is slow, with many ups and downs.

After a while you start to realize this might be something you have to deal with for the rest of your life.

You have to accept limitations just like with any disability.

What a strange trip.

That's about all I got so far.

3. metale

metale Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 30, 2013
    Portugal
    I've struggled all my life with anxiety. My mother was always a xanax junkie including during the pregnancies and until present day. (I'm 34).

Unlimited source of xanax got me hooked at some points of my live, and I won't lie that I absolutly adored the thing. It made me feel great and calm and secure. Great drug, and very predictable ("I'll take this amount now before a date, in 1,5 to 3 hours I'll feel great, after that a bit sleepy"). I don't recommend trying it, most people get hooked because they like it.

I've been off medication for more than 3 years, including some rough times. Not because I feared taking xanax, but because I feared runing out of it somewhere out there. Scary thought. Not of the withdrawl, but of not being able to be myself without it.

I still struggle with anxiety and depression. I've been with my current therapist for 4 years and it means the world to me. Depression has phases. Chester Bennington'' death has triggered a very bad, months-long, struggle, because I related to him on several levels. It's better now, working on changing several aspects on my life that may lead me to live happier and love live again. Which I always do, it's just that sometimes the bad things partner with this black fog to try to overcome the good ones, even if among the good ones are the two most beautiful children in the world.

Therapy is a great thing IMO. To hear yourself speaking helps to structure thoughts, to put some things in prespective.

Hang in there, everyone. The best is yet to come to every one one of us.

LocoTex likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

What I've learned from having a close family member go through this:

-Light, sunshine, nicer weather helps (dang Midwest it's hard to find)

-Vitamin D supplements (possibly magnesium too but do more research there)

-Regular Exercise even when you don't feel like it (because that's when you need it the most), can you get someone to exercise too? Doing a quick walk is as good as a run.

-Weighted blanket for better sleep, these can run $300 (amazon had some on sale for $150) but if you know someone in the family who can sew a quilt you can buy $20 in fabric and (via amazon) a bag of plastic beads for $20 and make one. Target size is 'a twin bed' (for just you even if you sleep in a Queen+) that weighs 10% of your body weight and put it on top of your other blankets you normally use. If you have to do it yourself, I bought a used old cast iron sewing machine from the 1940s and did the usual cleanup and oiling and adjusting to make one. Craigslist options are common in the $10-$40 for a similar machine with a table and they will smoke any new bought machine for durability. (I got my neighbor's ten year old machine they were getting rid of to make a pickup winder and the comparison between the machine construction quality is staggering, yes I'm planning on a build thread of sorts for the winder ;) ). Youtube has videos on setting up and adjusting sewing machines just like gracious people have posted how to fix guitars.

-Darkened room with no light for better sleep (studies showed 'the light of five candles' was enough to increase depression)

-Regular alarm to get up in the morning at the same routine time and force yourself to get moving. Maybe the alarm box across the room. Once moving you will keep moving.

JuneauMike and Durberville like this.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

On the chemical side (if my experience is anything to go by), say No to Thorazine (I was put on this when I was in a very bad way after suddenly losing my Dad - 1 day on that was more than enough) and Amytriptylene (an 'out-of-the box' attempt by my doc to help with awful tinnitus! Didn't work!) Both made me feel sick, dizzy and half awake. St. John's Wort is ok though, and works for me when I need it, but watch out for inter-action with any other meds such as antibiotics.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    We'll send prayers for healing. My family has experience with depression and its something that can be managed. Be patient with any medication they give you. It's not unusual for them (and you) to take a while to get dosages and whatnot correct.

Its great that you are reaching out for help. That shows strength and determination.

8. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    After seeing my grandparents go from rich to bankrupt in a few years and dying in almost misery, having parents that were very physical punishing me (I can't censor), teaching (English) for ten years as a second language and being a naturally anxious person who used to get into fights all the time(last time was 16 years ago), loosing a baby at the beginning of the pregnancy and not being to mourn The loss of the fetus and of my last two grandparents I finally became a father and instead of making me happy it drove me off the edge. I started stressing about bringing in enough money, building things for my daughter and I even got to the point where I was/sometimes still am afraid to touch or hold her for Anxiety and depression have created dark thoughts that I could hurt what I love most in life. My legacy, my blood.
    What drove me off the ledge? Besides becoming a father(mine is a freaking warrior) People started talking about building a house and my fear of bankruptcy, of misery and of bank loans robbed me of everything that gave me pleasure. Thank the lord I have an understanding wife. I started feeling dizzy every time I had to explain something that would be simple for me to explain before and right before Easter I had two panic attacks.
    Went to a psychiatrist in that same week and not a moment too soon as I started having suicidal thoughts. Side effects of anti depressants are HORRENDOUS so a week after that I felt I ought to assist the meds with therapy. It's been a bumpy ride so far but my love for guitars(zero talent to play) will return, my love for life will subsist and win!

Last edited: May 11, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.