Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Antiques Roadshow Teles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CJM3309, Oct 2, 2017.

1. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I randomly had the show on tonight for like 5 mins and the picture below was on the screen. Sorry for the bad pic. The left was a 1964, mahogany body tele he bought new. The other he bought in 63 from a guy who was down on his luck for $50. It's a 1960. They estimated the mahogany one at $11K and the custom at $22k. No clue on actual values, just thought they were pretty cool.

20171002_214756.jpg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Yeah, I saw that. They didn't discuss possible mods, but I would still be interested in the reality of that valuation.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I dig the '60 the most.

5. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Those 'Roadshow guitars are often amazing.
    I don't know how "reality" that TV show is... the other night I was also just sort of accidentally watching it, and in a couple minutes here comes a rather pristine prewar Martin D28. Tuners'd been replaced, and some light laquer sprayed on some parts at some point.... but... it was a beauty. They said $35 -$45K on the appraisal if I recall. And the owner claimed to be completely unaware of such value. Really?
    They've had benchmark, pristine Les Pauls, Strats, Dobros, banjos...
    It's literally incredible the stuff they have on that show.
    I mean.... nowadays... with the internut and all? You didn't ever do a quick google on "value of my 50 year old _____ guitar" or whatever?
    Or ... even ask a friend of a friend who might have a clue?
    I'm 1/3 in awe just to see the stuff, 1/3 in lust, and 1/3 just angry-skeptical!

nojazzhere likes this.

6. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    First, if they knew their item had no value they would not go on the show, so maybe they did ask a friend of a friend.
    Second going to the show gives you the opinion of a "real" expert , or at least better than a friend of a friend.
    Third, you have just shown your item to a whole lot of people including potential rich buyers.
    But yes the "really I had no idea of the value" is staged, all "reality tv" is staged.
    That's why I hate it, actually will watch ARS and pawn stars occasionally
    Nice guitars though

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    drf64 and Toto'sDad like this.

7. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

I think this is the episode in question:

8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I saw that. That was cool. Love that mahogany, I had no clue.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

My wife got us tickets when the roadshow came to town so we bundled up a few things that family lore always talked about 'that heirloom piece has gotta be worth a lot to the collectors!'. We go and make a day of it.

Huge long day of it, all in a slow moving line. So many hopeful people. Things bundled on hand carts, others just carrying, or sliding along on the cement floor. The people you see in the background stage on television account for five minutes of waiting.

It was fairly interesting talking with the other hopeful attendees in line and seeing what they carted in as you have an opportunity to see a lot with the lines snaking in those switchback ropes.

I saw one person with a pair of electric guitar cases, but they were not enough to get on the camera stage.

Someone's violin case flip open in line and the violin smack face down on the cement (added a chip to the headstock)

One older couple had some jewelry from the 1920s they bought somewhere recently that got on the film stage, but never sure if they were used on the show.

Our items were like those cameos you sometimes see at the end "...worth $5 at a garage sale".

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That show has a loooooong history of shenanigans and items being wildly inflated by over-excited "experts".

Reverb price guide/Ebay completed sales are about as accurate.

I like it and will still catch it if I surf past it but I take it with a shaker of salt most of the time.

11. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

You would think in this day and age, everyone would know exactly what they had in their hand. Nearly everyone has a computer or phone with internet access, yet people still throw out, give away or yard sale valuable stuff every day.

I think a lot of people on ARS know exactly what they have, they just want to be on TV, but then again, some are probably clueless.

We found this chair on the side of the road,with a pile of junk from an old house that was being cleaned out. I liked the look of it and knew it was kind of old, but at first glance it seemed kind of too far gone. On the way home, I told my GF 'if that's still there tomorrow on my way to work, I'm gonna grab it". Sure enough, it was there and it was starting to rain so I threw it in my truck and a the end of the day, stuck it in the garage. A week or so later, I brought it in and went over it looking for a maker's mark, which I found. In 3 minutes on the innerwebs, I knew exactly what I had and pretty much what it was worth, within a day, I had an offer from a collector, but decided to keep it as the the history and the story of finding it was worth more to us.

The chair was made by "Val-Kill" artisans. Val-Kill was a project started by Eleanor Roosevelt to help farmers in the Hudson Valley of New York learn new trades so they could have a source of income in the winter. Eventually the venture was shut down after 9 years and little success. Most of the furniture was purchased by the Roosevelt's themselves and given to friends and dignitaries. The Site was then converted to a summer cottage for Eleanor and is now a National Historical site. We brought photos of the chair with us 2 summers ago when we took a tour of the site and the staff were amazed, they had never heard of anyone just finding a piece on the side of the road. The collector who wanted to by it said he too had never heard of such a find and he had been looking his whole life. He also suggested that we would be a shoe-in for ARS, but I'm not waiting 5 hours in line to show off something already know about.

Anyway, since we are keeping the chair, I re-caned the seat myself and now we have a nice interesting conversation piece and a little slice of history.

The Val-Kill chair as we found it.
    10492104_10204324002957644_712065681952439624_n.jpg

And after re-caning the seat.
    10647152_10204392045738671_2796028444840075786_n.jpg

I feel like my my amateur re-caning job suits the chair as it's not perfect and doesn't seem out of place. The rest of the chair is basically untouched, though I did inject a little glue into one joint to tighten it up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    My wife wants to take me there and prove I'm not worth as much as I claim being an antique and all.

dogwatermike, drf64 and paparoof like this.

13. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    My wife and I tried for years and finally got tickets to the Chicago episode a few years ago. We had a pretty good idea how old our items were at minimum but were totally disappointed at the complete apathy of the "experts" when we finally got ween at 4PM. We took our items to 3 different guys and got 3 totally different stories. So much for being experts. They were tired of being there and were just shuffling people through at that point. It was a long day but by far the most interesting part was talking to others and hearing their stories and seeing the cool stuff they had.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    A local old guy (even older than me) has a prewar Martin D-28 that he bought in 1950 for chump change. He was down at the guitar center one night with one of his great grandkids and they showed off the guitar. (I wouldn't have done that) and right on the spot, the manager took a look at it, and called somewhere and came back and offered to give him $43,000 for it. The old guy used to be on TV every night back in the 50s and 60s and still goes around dressed like he's getting ready to go on stage complete with a hat so big, he's in danger of becoming air born at any minute! He thought about it a little, and said he wouldn't sell it, he just wanted to know what it was worth, and was going to leave it to his kids as it was the only thing of value he owned.

This was back when my son was still alive and well. We both thought the old man would be lucky to have made it to GC and back home with the guitar. We saw him back at the store a few days later, and he confirmed that he had done so. Personally, I would not have done what he did, there are other ways to determine the value without exposing your guitar to the public. If he knew what people will do for that kind of money, he wouldn't have. I don't know if he is still alive, I doubt that he is, he was past 90 then. I hope he kept his ax until he didn't need it anymore. It was cool to both see the guitar, and the whole scene unfold.

15. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I agree, prices seem all over the place. Most of them say "at auction" so who knows if people would even bid that high. I just enjoy catching guitars on there randomly. I don't think I have ever seen a factory mahogany body. The appraiser said it was pretty rare for the year. Cool to see what's out there hiding still.

16. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    The auction house “appraisers” stand to benefit monetarily from high valuations. So, how trustworthy are they? It’s a pure conflict of interest.

17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    It's ONLY worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

Sentimental values do NOT equal commercial/sale values.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.