Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Antibiotics side effects

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Sep 12, 2017.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I'm going through some stuff right now with my stomach and maybe liver. I ended up in emergency on Friday night and back again Saturday morning for follow up blood work and ultrasound.

Anyway, the doctor prescribed some antibiotics: Flagel-Metronidazole and Ciprofloxacin.

Damn, that Cipro has some nasty side effects. Slight nausea, little bit of light-headedness, really gassy, and some other stuff that is just rude.

The worst part, though, with both of these, is that I can't drink. Not even a beer. Band practice is going to be a bummer on Thursday. How can I have band practice without having a beer??!!

Getting sick sucks.

2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Flagel and Cipro both?
    Jay-sus!
    You will need yogurt.

3. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Okay, dude, you just made me actually laugh out loud. I'm sitting here anticipating my next run to the bathroom, and you gave me a good laugh.
    Thanks for that.

twr1 and aerhed like this.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Glad you got a laugh kel, that combo will clean you out better than a colonoscopy prep.
    Drink plenty fluids.
    What doesn't kill us doesn't mean it's not trying to kill us, right?

5. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Right you are.

And I'm drinking so much water and other stuff, that I'm up every two hours all night long.

Teleguy61 likes this.

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Good luck man.

kelnet likes this.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    If you can't Bring the Beer, bring the Gas!

kelnet likes this.

8. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    New songs for the set list:

Classical Gas
    Dust in the Wind
    Running on Empty

Grant Austin likes this.

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry TDPRI Member

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I got Cipro and something else when I got really ill during a trip to New Delhi. The "something else" the hotel doctor gave me was described as helping reduce convulsions. Anyway I looked it up and it is also used to stimulate lactation. I'm glad to say I didn't have any problem with that but it did give me pause. Cipro is also implicated in ruptured Achilles tendons. I hope you get better soon and can get offa that stuff!

kelnet likes this.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Be on the lookout for muscle soreness a few days, or even weeks after ciprofloxacin. That stuff caused my wife some residual problems after taking it in the hospital. Hope you get better soon. Was it colon related?

kelnet likes this.

11. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Teleguy61 was right on
    when you take powerfull antibiotics they will kill the good bacteria in your gut, (causing the stomach ailments you mentioned and they are nasty) you need to replace that with a probiotic ,acidophylis or yogurt, you can get acidophylis milk , I know this first hand, do not drink or you will negate the antibiotic and make sure you finish the whole script , if you dont, the bacterial infection you have will become resistant to the medication and you will have a ton of problems to dump your bug.

I have been on the drugs you listed and I was extremely sick, Look after your self there. the drug you are on is serious stuff and a 10 day script on that stuff is MUCH better than the alteranatives, Trust me on that one!

also consider Gatorade ,to replace electrolytes

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    HoogieHar, twr1 and kelnet like this.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I've never been on an antibiotic where I noticed side effects. Maybe I just mistook the side effects for symptoms of whatever I was taking the meds for...

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Good luck with all that, maybe add some extra garlic into whatever you can eat, just for good measure till it passes.
    Antibiotics make me shudder.

14. geetarLAXjunkie

geetarLAXjunkie TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    KC
    Watch the Cipro. It's HEAVY stuff, and many docs refuse to prescribe it because of numerous side effects (it's notorious for causing tendon ruptures, for example, particularly the archiles — I race bikes, and refuse to take the stuff for this very reason). Side effects often last 3-4 months after dosage stops.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think I ever took anything like that but it sounds pretty miserable!

I feel like the only thing I can do to show support is to go grab a beer and drink it on your behalf.:p

Seriously, hope the antibiotics do their job and kick the **** out of whatever's ailing you, Kel!:(

tintag27 and kelnet like this.

16. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I once had a digestive tract infection to the point where the doctor procribed Donagel when I removed the pharmacy label I discovered it was 40% opium , can you say walk backwards on the cieling?

17. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    No, it's something they docs haven't quite figured out yet. Been having really bad fevers and stomach discomfort since November. One doctor thought it was gall stones, even though I had the gall bladder out 15 years ago.
    I'm seeing a gastro guy soon.

Thanks for the post.

Toto'sDad likes this.

18. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Thanks, WT.

19. 24 track

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Best of wishes there Kelnet, lets hope you get this under control , its agood thing the beer supply wont dry up by the time you are better!

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I'm a pharmacist by original education. If it was just Cipro, you could have a beer or two. Flagyl can be bad news with alcohol. When you mix Flagyl with alcohol you can get an Antabuse-like reaction and that's no fun. Antabuse is the drug they give for alcoholics and when you drink you get flushing of the face, abdominal cramps, headaches and other not so fun things. Sorry, but the Flagyl is the deal breaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.