Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anti-Bucket List

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 11, 2017.

1. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I'm not ever going to attempt to drive through water. I made it once and thats enough for me.

I don't care how deep it is, I'll drive around.

Dan R likes this.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    If Toto hasn't already pointed it out. I believe you crossed on a Ferry. I suspect it would have been exhaustive for Tinker Bell to perform that service.:) I was amused thinking of a flattened Tinker Bell with the wings protruding slightly outwards as you sat on her.

Got in late on this catch, sorry.

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing is, once we used the Randy Carter scale and if you had good technique and good equipment, a Class V was not that bad.

That same Class V is still there, only now some people debate whether it is even a Class III, or a Class II+

Some rivers get easier as the water gets higher; others (like the Nolichucky) get mean when the water comes up. Heavy rains can mean bad visibility - there are things that are only harmless when you can see 'em and steer around them.

I'd have to hear what river drf64 was even on. My whitewater log book has over 700 entries in it but I was only in a raft in the following: loaned my kayak to a raft customer so she could try it out and see if she liked it. Stepped in mid trip to guide a kayak after the designated guide got real sick. Repaired a badly ripped raft we'd repaired off a river with my kayak and gear stashed in the raft.

Couple times I'd see a guide fall out, and so the passengers are panicking - from my kayak I yelled out commands to them and guided them through the rocks and around the sieves.

Anyway, Out West they do lose raft customers due to flush drowning. Most customers who die in whitewater events in the East of the USA have a heart attack or had extensive health problems and wanted to raft one more time before they died of AIDS or something. It is IMO nowhere near as dangerous as it seems. Oh. One exception: Quebec.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Big_Bend likes this.

4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    When I was in high school, I was recruited one summer day to take hens out of cages in a chicken house and stuff them into cages on a semi-truck's trailer. The hens had passed their peak of egg-laying and were destined to be made into little cubes for Campbell's chicken soup.

The two minutes of training involved being shown how to put one leg of each hen between the digits of each hand, so that eight angry birds could be carried on each trip to the trailer. The cages on the trailer had walls that swung inward, so that you could stuff a hand and four birds into the cage in one motion.

I think the operation lasted most of a day. When we were discharged, covered with CS, we drove to the nearest creek and jumped in.

richiek65, don71 and teletimetx like this.

5. boris bubbanov

We do lose people on the Kern. So much of the year, there's virtually no water, and then often when there is water there's too much. Rocks are not rounded, and the water flows between boulders. There's no "bottom" like you see on rivers like the Gauley, the Chattooga, even the Colorado and the Arkansas. Lots of ways to get washed up under a boulder and the water flushes out but boats and people sometimes don't.

We've lost one commercial raft customer so far, that I know of, on the Kern this year, a 44 year old male, in May I think:

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/218/

The thing I dislike about the Kern is, every time I go, the release out of Lake Isabella is like 85 degrees. And the sun is strong and the air is 110 and even with minimal equipment, you feel like you're in a boiling crawfish pot. In cold water, even upside down my brain works just fine - water doesn't even get up my nose. But in genuinely hot water, I'm just not having a good day.

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I've been there. Border towns are like this, for some reason. Mexico is a wonderful country that I love, but I recommend not spending time in border towns, or tourist towns, in that order.

thegeezer likes this.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Or drug cartel towns. There were headless bodies in a dumpster behind my hotel.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Brain fade of the elderly, I corrected it but alas too late! Toto nor any fairies or ferries were harmed in the process.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    First thing that came to my was when I was dragged by some friends to a Dixieland Jazz Band night at some ballroom in San Francisco. I have no time to waste like that.

The other was going by myself to try out a high wind spot for windsurfing (the early days of experimenting with the sport) and having too large a sail.:eek::oops::rolleyes::lol:

10. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Kidney stone. Gout. Recurrent Corneal Erosion.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Anti-Bucket List”

Just say uncle!

12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    So, we might cross on the highway, but we'll never swim Kern River again?

Since we're adding health issues, put me down for no more toothache/extraction/dental surgery.

I would trade the nightmare of two surgeries for osteomyelitis in my jawbone, for a dozen repeats of my open hernia surgery to repair five tears. Any day.

13. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    Dance.

I'm never going to dance again.

Guilty feet have got no rhythm.

14. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I did this same job. Nastiest job ever. Could tell who all the poor saps were who helped because in high school we had scratches up to our elbows

Harry Styron likes this.

15. boris bubbanov

I'm doing this too, when my head is down and fingers are moving and I'm in "composition mode". Sometimes I don't go back and check what I've written. And there, in place of cache is catch, and in place of calendar is camera.

Toto'sDad likes this.

16. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2004
    NEPA USA

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Not me, but I have an officemate with lots of farm stories like that. He said one of the worst was powdering chickens for mites. You had to hold the chicken, and as you powdered it, a tide of mites climbed up your arm.

18. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Rapid Decompression at FL41.0 !

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Isn't it funny how alcohol....or a woman......are involved in so much stupid "stuff"????? Get both of them together, and it REALLY gets crazy.......

troy2003 and 985plowboy like this.

20. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Georgia
    Got shot at point blank range with a .45 pistol once, followed by two major surgeries in two days and a week in ICU. Don't ever care to repeat it. And no, I didn't accidentally shoot myself!
    Tom

Jimmy Owen likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.