Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another WRHB Thread :/

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bella_Caster, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I understand the WRHB in Tele custom RIs are not 'true' WR (because of the magnet material and construction). So, until I'm ready to pull the trigger on a more faithful reproduction, I'd like to try and remedy the muddiness of the current stock neck pup. From what I've read, upgrading the tone pot to a 500k might help a bit. However, I spoke with a local guitar tech who said it's the volume pot that I should upgrade, not the tone.

What say you all?

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You may need to change both, and I would say change the volume pot first.
    That’s because the volume pot is always across the output of the humbucker — changing the volume will affect the load but you can’t ever make it bigger than 250k and that will reduce the resonant peak of the pickup’s frequency response. A bigger volume pot will allow more high frequencies to be generated by the pickup.
    With the tone pot however a 250k tone pot turned up to 10 is really the same as a 500k tone pot turned down to about 7 (assuming a log / audio pot). But if the resonant peak of the pickup is at a low frequency then there might not be much more signal to be allowed through just by changing the tone pot.

bender66 likes this.
  3. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    Consider 1 meg pots like the originals.

Bella_Caster likes this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    These are just standard hb's under there. Nothing like original WR's.

Not surprised they came with 250k anymore. They seem to get them bassackward throughout the models.

Bella_Caster likes this.
  5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Volume first, then tone.

I have heard, depending on which re-issues you have that first you try the pots, then another common change is having the pickup rewound.

I also have heard that there are a few different year issues that were better than others.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Bella_Caster likes this.
  6. Bella_Caster

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for this, AAT65 - I think I understand it better, now :)

DrASATele and AAT65 like this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I'll add here that I've read here that the RI WRHB are supposed to sound decent. I'm gonna wager that the pot change will help the mudiness.

I'd do both to 500k and add a resistor in there so your bridge pickup sees a lower value of your choice depending on the pickup in that position. It is a Custom, correct?

Bella_Caster likes this.
  8. Bella_Caster

Dec 1, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Thanks!

Yes, an MIM Custom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.