Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Walnut Build Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dhempy, Jan 28, 2017.

1. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Been a while ... but here is an update. I'm still working on pore filling with the ZPoxy. I cannot seem to get a decent squeegee that leaves me with a relatively flat surface. I've tried several and all leave some sort of streaks. So I've put on several relatively thin coats and wet sanded with 400 and while it'm getting a flatter surface, I still have some minor dimples and by the time I get there, I'm pretty sure I've sanded through the top coat. I'm not seeing new pores but tiny depressions in some of the larger pores. I am thinning and warming but the Zpoxy never seems to flatten out on it's own. I'm also doing one side at a time (I'm counting the circumference as one side) and leaving the top and back flat to dry. It takes about a quarter sized dollup (in a small mixing cup) of each part to do a side. When I've thinned, I would estimate it is about 5-10% with DNA. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm close enough to start shooting lacquer. Any advice certainly welcomed.

I'm also wet sanding with DNA a little bit trying to keep H2O out of the wood ... maybe overkill but got concerned about water on the wood once I sent through the topcoat. Maybe I just need to "hike 'em up" and put on a thicker coat OR build up a thickness before I start to sand...

2. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Here is a shot with a couple of coats shot after the first sanding. I had to fight a blushing issue on the front. I can say for a fact that the 75% thinner /25% retardant misting trick will eliminated the blushing. I'm now using retardant in the mix with each coat. I hope to get one more coat on each side and then sand down to 800, then do the final thinned coats and get ready to polish it out. If I can get the spraying completed before July 30, then it will sit for 2 weeks while I'm travelling and should be ready for the final polish.

Dan

20170708_194150.jpg

darkforce, fenderchamp, n__B and 8 others like this.

3. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Been a long time since the last update. I've been hand polishing the lacquer after being gone most of the summer. It takes a good long while but I'm getting pretty close to being done.

Last Friday I happened to be near San Diego and dropped by to meet/greet Marc Rutters. What a class guy! I instantly liked him. It is amazing what he's able to produce out of his shop. And his wood collection is flat out stunning! If you want more of a "kit" experience versus cutting out your own body, I highly recommend checking out his stock.

More pics coming soon.

Dan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

4. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

Please fill that with turquoise or even clear epoxy. Too cool to remedy

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Nm late to the party again

6. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Last night I started the assembly process by lining the cavities with copper foil. The foil has a nasty tendency to curl up (on itself!) once peeled from the backing. I took to a partial peel, and then snip the backing off, stick in place, peel more, snip, stick .. etc. That seemed to work the best when going around the vertical pocket sides.

Next up will be installing tuners on the neck, and then neck and bridge fitment on the body. All kibbutzing welcome for neck fitment and truss rod adjustment <grin>!

Dan
    20171008_163015.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    darkforce, Cgrove, Marn99 and 3 others like this.

7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Dan...my man...that finish is AWESOME what did you use for it? It's so slick and shiny I'm in awe. That body looks great. Well done.

Wahoo likes this.

8. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This is going to be one fantastic looking guitar when finished! I'm so in awe of both the body and neck.

9. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

May 11, 2006
    Austin
    WOW those fills look great against the walnut grain!

10. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Tremendous.

11. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Thanks for the compliments:

That finish is straight Cardinal lacquer over the ZPoxy filler. I bought the lacquer from Luthiers Mercantile (on the recommendation of Marc Rutters!) About 12 coats I think, hand polished. After getting the "base" 8 coats or so on (and dealing with the blush), I sanded to 800 for the final coats. Then I went 600 down to 2000 and then liquid rubbing compound and swirl remover.

Dan

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas

Wow I'm impressed. So this thing that I'm looking at has no buffing done to it?

13. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Only by hand. I tried a foam pad on a buffer and wasn't happy. So I've only used a 2"x.5" square of HDPE plastic (very flat) with a t-shirt "pad". That is how I sanded and polished it. I don't have a "buffer". Wish I did!

14. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Tonight I managed to get the string ferrules installed (Pic1) and get started on the tuner installation. I chose to set my ferrules flush ... used my drill press to press them in with a smidge of epoxy after cleaning the holes up a bit to remove the lacquer.

The machine bushings were just a bit tight until I drilled the holes in the Warmouth neck out with an 11/32" bit. That left them nice and snug ... and I tapped them in with a rubber faced hammer (Pic 2 show the last of them mostly in). After that, I turned the neck over and lined the tuners up with a straight edge (Pic 3) and marked the spots where I need to drill pilot holes for the tuner screws (Pic 4). I measured the diameter of the screws along the shaft (0.0745) and at the maximum of the threads (0.0955). These screws don't look particularly "stout" to me as far as the head goes so I've chosen a bit with a diameter of 0.0855 to drill the pilot holes with. I may go and see if I can find some better screws. Does anyone know off the top of their head if "vintage" tuner screws were slotted or phillips head (by vintage I mean early 50's). It'll probably be a challenge to find nickel plated screws in the correct size but I may look anyway.

That was as far as I got before SWMBO cut off my shop time.

Dan Ferrules.jpg InstallingTuners_1.jpg InstallingTuners_2.jpg InstallingTuners_3.jpg

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I would go to home depot and get some stainless steel screws to mount those tuners. Much stronger than nickel.

I can't speak to whether the vintage ones were slotted or Phillips, but unless your audience is comprised almost entirely of vintage guitar purists, and you play with your back to them, it's probably not worth worrying about.

16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    By the way, that's one sexy looking neck.

Steve Holt likes this.

17. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Ooo o oo o oo o o o ooo oooo ooo oppop o pp o

Steve Holt likes this.

18. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Droool that body and neck is fabulous!

19. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That is looking fabulous!!

Love the walnut and birdseye!!

20. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is looking fantastic!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.