Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Another Twin Reverb speaker thread

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by swampyankee, Feb 12, 2018.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I was holding out hope that a set of Warehouse G12Cs I kept from a Bandmaster VM cab would work despite them being 16 ohms (8 ohms combined ). Although it is said that Fender amps will tolerate 100% mismatch, they sounded very thin and had no bass.
    So now I'm on the hunt. I see a pair of 20 year old Jensen C12N s as well as a set of CTS speakers claimed to have come from a vintage Twin. Or I could go with a new "vintage Jensen" copy from Warehouse or Weber.
    I favor the Jensen tones, so it's a matter of something true vintage or modern repro.
    The amp is a bit of a bitza. 1970 Dual Showman Reverb chassis in a '74 ish cabinet, with a repro faceplate. So I guess it'll never be a true vintage collectible, but it's mine.

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    If it was mine, it would be Weber 12A150. But I would really want orange frame JBL D120F because nothing could possibly look cooler. :)

Dave Harmon, Straydogger and alnicopu like this.

3. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Just for kicks, I took the OE Fender Special Design by Eminence speaker from my Pro Tube Concert Amp, and a Warehouse G12C, both of the proper ohms. They sound pretty decent, good power, punch and bass response. The Eminence is a mid-heavy speaker so it seems to round out the G12C. I'm tending toward either a pair of Weber Chicago's or the used Jensens.

BobbyZ likes this.

4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    It is not a real Twin Reverb with out JBL-D120’s. F, or grey basket, no F.

Straydogger, Bill Moore and Ricky D. like this.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I've got four JBLs, two Twin Reverbs and no plans to use them together again.
    Those D120Fs and D131s are cool and all I just didn't care for them in a TR. And a lot of that probably has to do with playing at today's low volumes.
    At some point I'd like to try a pair of Mavericks in a TR because those are about the only new speaker, capable of handling the wattage, without being stuck at 100 db efficiency.

moosie and thegeezer like this.

6. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I've been offered a pair of Rolas out of a mid-70's Twin. Although they're not the more desirable Jensens or JBL's, at $60 for the set, they're cheap and fit the vintage of the amp. Might give that vintage Twin vibe that I'm trying to preserve. And like you BobbyZ, a less efficient speaker is a good thing in a 100 watt amp these days.

7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    Somehow I ended up with a pair of Jensen C12Q reissues that, even though are under rated for my TR, sound pretty dang good. There just is no chance on this planet I’ll ever play loud enough to get the amp to 75% Power, much less full power and damage the speakers..

8. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I have a combination of an Emminence out of my '90s Concert Amp, and a C12Q out of my little Deluxe 112 (s.s.). Sounds pretty good, but I want to return the C12Q where it belongs.
    Plus, this is now my big amp, for outside gigs and such. I need to be able to crank it with confidence!

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I prefer the modern C12Ns in my '69 Twin. They don't get much love, but at least in this amp, they sound great to me. Even better than the JBLs I had in mind for that amp.

10. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Holic

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    That’s just it - everyone has a different ear, different touch, etc, and every tube amp responds just a tad differently. A buddy used EV SROs in his TR... speakers stuck out 2” past the rear panels but in under his control sounded like God with A Strat ; anyone else sounded like PeeWee Herman with a Hello Kitty toy.

It’s what works

BobbyZ likes this.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^Yup.

I guess my point was not just "what I like", but that *somebody* likes the modern C12Ns in a Twin. The reissues come with C12Ks, which I don't care for much. The general internet "knowledge" is that the modern ones suck. So, I'm raising my hand as a guy who listened to the modern ones, had other good choices, and still chose these.

They may not work for someone else (they certainly won't work for many), but they might be worth a look.

WireLine likes this.

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Are you positive there was no phasing issue with them as far as the wiring?

13. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    It's possible, but I thought I had wired them right. Although the + terminal on the G12C is marked "+" but the G12C/S is not. Instead, one terminal is colored red. I assumed the red color indicated the hot, or + side.

14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

I'd sure rule it out before buying more speakers. Exact symptoms you descrided would be what you'd get.

Put a bass heavy signal thumping into them and make sure they all push out on heavy bass notes.

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I'm running a pair of Eminence Texas Heats in mine and couldn't be happier.

16. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I'd love a set of C12N's in there if they would give me the nice warm vintage tone I'd expect from a vintage amp, albeit SF. I was going to purchase a set of used Reissues from Reverb but someone beat me to it. I could afford new C12n's, but I just don't want something that's too peaky and stiff. I have a solid state amp for that. LOL

moosie likes this.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Who really knows what each of us means when we say "warm vintage tone". There's the rub. I had this conversation with @theprofessor a while back, and we found that my "good tone" sounds fairly bright to him, and his "good warm tone" sounds waaay to warm to my ears.

In case you and he would like similar things, I think he really liked the Jupiters, and the Fat Jimmys. Both of those sound too warm for my taste.

18. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

I love the JBL or EV 12's in a Twin but my favorite is my clone with a 15" SRO. Good clarity, but a little more bottom end. I also tried a K130, but liked the SRO better.
    TC4.jpg

Wally and moosie like this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That's a beast! :)

20. swampyankee

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    Fer instance, my Pro Tube Concert Amp with the stock Eminence sounded "modern" to my ears, but when I swapped in a Warehouse G12C, the tone got more sparkly, warm, and has more character. I'd say it was a step toward having a more vintage tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.