Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ANOTHER TEXTING AND DRIVING THREAD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Sep 13, 2017.

1. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    A few months ago my son and granddaughter were sideswiped at an intersection by a women who strayed into their lane in a turn while talking on her phone. She didn;t even stop and tried to claim she didn;t hit them. So preoccupied she missed her accident. My son followed her home and called the sheriff after observing her address. She got a hit and run citation. Stupid. Apparently she really DIDN'Tt realize she scraped sides with him.

It's really difficult to deal with phone calls and drive safely. I ignore most of them even with my hands free "Sync" system in my Ford.

2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Actually the one who suggested she was texting and driving is an eyewitness to the accident

nojazzhere and william tele like this.

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    mispost

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

4. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    I spent nearly ten years as a traffic accident investigator in a large American city. I have seen literally hundreds of people killed in accidents.

The two main causes of accidents are distracted driving, or impared driving. Before phones and tv monitors in cars, there was eating, drinking, smoking, or tuning the radio.

The problem nowadays is that smartphones, social media, and the need to be constantly entertained like two-year-old children, people cannot go more than a few moments without looking at their phones. In places where people spend a lot of time driving, they will be spending parts of their drive looking at their phones.

Some 40,000 Americans are killed in car wrecks each year, millions are hurt. The social and economic costs are staggering.

When I moved to Japan, I had to get a drivers license. I was surprised at how difficult and how thorough the process was. I had to spend 40 hours in driving classes, spend several hours behind the wheel with an instructor. The total cost of a basic car license for a car with an automatic transmission was more than $3000. When you need to renew your license, it is an all-day affair, with safety classes and lectures.

Any accident here involving an injury is considered a crime, and accidents with serious injury or death always result in an arrest. If you are driving, and a kid or someone on a bike comes out between to cars, and you hit them, you are going to jail. It's not very fair, but it forces you to drive carefully.

Another thing is that there is no "professional courtesy". As a police officer in America I was immune from getting a ticket from another officer in any city. That doesn't happen here in Japan, if you are caught speeding or something else, you are going to be cited or arrested.

A motor vehicle is one of the most lethal weapons ever invented, no gun ever made can do as much damage to a human body. Yet there is little pressure to increase licensing requirements or improve driver safety. There used to be driver safety films ("Blood on the Highway" etc) which showed the aftermath of fatal accidents very graphically. I don't think they show these kinds of films anymore, but they were a good warning against unsafe driving.

5. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    In Australia it is illegal even to touch a mobile phone when driving, but people still get booked for holding their phones to text etc. It is legal to make or answer calls, use an audio or gps maps app, provided the phone is in a cradle fixed to the car.

Seat belts have been compulsory for donkeys years but people still get booked for failing to wear a seat belt.

When I am riding my motorbike in traffic I often see drivers using their phones in naughty ways.

6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Autonomous vehicles aren't going to solve the problem. Drivers will still need to be alert and ready to take control immediately. Also, the roads won't suddenly be filled with autonomous vehicles. It will take decades for drivers to switch over to autonomous - if that ever happens. In the meantime, there will be a mix of autonomous and traditional. That could actually make things worse before they get better as autonomous vehicles will be programmed to abide by the road rules / speed limits and idiot drivers will get frustrated by them and pull some even more stupid overtaking stunts and rear end shunts when the autonomous vehicle in front actually slows down at give way signs, etc.
    Even voice activated phones aren't ideal as people are still distracted / mind elsewhere and reaction times increase. Driving is a critical skill and people need to focus on it and switch phones off. Why do we always need to be available at a second's notice?

Felino likes this.

7. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2013
    Lancashire UK
    The traffic police had a field day here in my neck o the woods recently catching drivers on their phones whilst driving, They had to pull them into side streets to book them because there were so many. :eek: I think they give them a choice of either a fine or go on a awareness course.

It's not just the young drivers either. Stupid ain't going away anytime soon. It's dangerous out there. http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/motorhome-crash/

ZackyDog likes this.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    To be fair, it's not just "kids." I see drivers of all ages doing it all the time.

I wonder how significantly intersection driving patterns have been altered by the fact that instead of (for instance) 12 cars being able to make that left turn, now only 9 can because the 'lead' vehicle's driver is consumed with their smartphone when the arrow turns green.

9. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    As an aside, I used to ride a motorcycle year-round. You couldn't pay me to ride a bike nowadays, particularly in stop and go/city traffic. No way.

boris bubbanov and Andy B like this.

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    I sold my motorcycle because of this stuff. So many cell phone distracted, in a fog of self entitlement drivers ... it was just a matter of time til somebody got me.

As far as how much more of this mayhem we can tolerate as a society: the drunk driving history is relevant. Decades of minimal enforcement as bodies piled up, with social acceptance of alcohol, prevalence of drinking outweighing common sense. It took a committed public stand by activists and a change in public awareness to address the problem. With cell phones and distracted driving, I think it will be similar. But here the resistance and ignorance runs deep, maybe worse than was so with alcohol. Huge tech money behind the cell phone craze for one thing, many more people using cell phones and driving distracted than ever drove drunk. Also, strong belief that true multitasking is possible, even required in today's world. It's a scam, a dangerous delusion, supported and encouraged in the workplace. So a lot of resistance to overcome before the public gets behind appropriate enforcement and penalties.
    MD

nojazzhere, Felino and TeleTucson like this.

12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Great post, thank you.
    In our state if you drive carelessly and kill someone, you're good to go as long as you don't have any drugs or alcohol in your system. If you do, you're in big trouble and rightly so.

A few years ago I tried to get info into how many fatalities were caused by drunken drivers, and couldn't. All I could find were statistics on alcohol related crashes. That means if I am sitting on my porch drinking a beer and someone else drives down the block and loses control, crashes into the porch and kills me it is an alcohol related fatality.

For some odd reason we are willing to put up with at least 20,000 people per year dying from driver error.

13. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I saw a guy in Michigan once riding a motorcycle and texting. It was frankly impressive.

Colo Springs E likes this.

14. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Yes, and it's not just "motor" cycles.

I used to be a very keen cyclist until about the end of the 1980s. I'm not really sure what happened but, in the part of the UK where I was living at the time, the traffic volume increased significantly and there was a marked reduction in the standard of driving. I'd always been realistically confident (but respectful of cars, buses and lorries) on the road but a couple of accidents where I was forced into a kerb and came off the bike / suffered nasty bruises and "gravel-rash" made me quit road use.

Only last week, I saw a "white van man" come within inches of taking out a cyclist. The van driver was driving one-handed with the other hand texting. He was oblivious to the cyclist until the very last moment when, thankfully, he hit the brakes hard and just about managed not to rear-end him.

I'm sure some of it is pressure to get stuff delivered on time / meet quotas but it's no excuse.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm sure he eventually made a BIG impression on someone...or someone on him.

FenderGyrl likes this.

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Paul:

You also jog at your own risk these days. A real incident not long ago in my town: A young lady was jogging along the curb of one of our busier town streets. She looks left to see a car coming up on her from behind, slowing and veering towards her. She starts right, trying to get clear, as the car, now stopping and still veering, knocks her onto the grass. Luckily no major damage.

She hops up, runs around to the driver's side. The woman driver is on her cell phone, has not even looked up. The runner says "You hit me!! What's wrong with you?" The driver is clearly annoyed at being interrupted, tells her "No, if I hit you, you'd be dead."

That perfectly sums up not only the danger, but the arrogance and indifference I see out on the roads all the time. Your life on the road means something only the the person who hits you gets caught.
    MD

telemnemonics, Gibson and Felino like this.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Mike, I've done this too. It seems to really get under the other driver's skin - they know they've done wrong.

+

I just want to encourage people not to equate text driving to drunk or drugged driving. I don't text, someone would have to teach me how because I haven't tried it yet, but text driving is not the same thing. The key is this: wrecks happen when the driver is confronted with an emergency. A texting driver can put the device down when he sees the tree fall or sees the child ride the bike into the street. The drunk can't put down the drink he's already consumed - the drugster can't untake those pills. This is a false equivalence - this is IMO the same thing as putting hookers and johns on a Sex Offender registry that should be limited to rapists and paedophiles. This is an insidious watering down of the class of persons guilty of the wrongful conduct - this is basically collaboration with the persons who have done the more reprehensible things and is IMO evil.

uriah1 and Toto'sDad like this.

18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    I think the op suggested she may have been texting.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I live on Long Island, where Stop Signs are optional. Same seems to be true in Maine. My cousin was driving, just blows through them. Texting and driving? Hey, you gotta give updates on the movie your watching on your iPad sitting on the Dash.

telemnemonics and Andy B like this.

20. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I certainly hope so. It was the most terrified I ever was on the road.
    Being Canadian and having no cell service there myself I didn't call the authorities, just got the hell away from him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.